348 Gearshift Shaft Seal Removal? Help! | FerrariChat

348 Gearshift Shaft Seal Removal? Help!

Discussion in '348/355' started by aballas, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    In my seemingly futile quest to keep my 348 from marking its territory all over my garage floor I've tracked down my worst leak to the transmission shift shaft seal, which appears to be a common leak.

I've gotten everything exposed, bought my $3 seal, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the damn seal out. I have a variety of picks, but none have seemed to be able to get any sort of hold onto the seal, and it just seems to want to tear (without actually coming out).

Can anyone tell me the best way to get this PITA thing removed?

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Slide hammer seal puller.

3. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Or carefully drill a small pilot hole in the seal. Partially screw a wood screw into the hole and yank it out with pliers.

4. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I was able to get it out! Used a right angle pick, and a few choice curse words directed at the underside of the car.

Since I wasnt able to find pictures of this being done before... here's my breakdown.

Had to get the pick behind the seal carefully and coax it out SLOWLY so the pick wouldn't slip out.

To replace the seal, use a deep well socket to slip over the shaft and tap it with a hammer to seat the seal evenly. You'll likely have to unbolt the shift cables for this step to move them out of the way (as you can see in the picture).

Overall not a terrible job. Just annoying.

vdettore likes this.
  5. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    On another note.. anyone know where I can source another shift linkage boot or have one I can buy?

Part # 139802.

Don't need the plate just need the boot. Mine has seen better days.

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    aballas likes this.
  7. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Thanks I'll see if I can source it there.

In other news a little over a week since replacing the seal and my garage floor is completely dry!!!!

I did verify that the car does indeed still have fluids in it. Lol. So we're leak free for the time being. Has this ever happened in 348 world?

Schatten likes this.
  8. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Well no luck. That boot is unavailable. Anyone have a used one that's not falling apart?