Monterey Car Week: What previews, hospitality suites , can we crash? | FerrariChat

Monterey Car Week: What previews, hospitality suites , can we crash?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bitzman, Aug 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Oops, I mean "be invited to?" Surprisingly though they are supposed to be oh-so-exclusive, you can contact your local dealer now and find out if they are sending names to the powers that be that run the previews/roll-outs, test drives, hospitality suites, yadda yadda.
    Here's all I found out about so far.
    Rolls House, fancy Gatsby type house on the water, nighttime party I think it's Saturday night
    Bentley House, in Carmel, but mile inland, next to Mercedes building, open several days in daytime
    Honda, some preview Thursday at Pebble Beach
    Audi preview of A8 Thursday
    Here's all the ones I don't know about:
    Bentley
    Maybach
    Mercedes
    Porsche
    Infiniti
    Land Rover

Dolceexte likes this.
  2. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    The ones to be at are Singer & Pagani

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You're missing BMW which has a hospitality site and activities at a mansion close to The Lodge

4. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    The BMW mansion isn’t by the lodge this year.... it has moved to another home.

5. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Aston Martin has an open house at the Sunset Center Wednesday-Saturday of carweek...

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    CAN these events be crashed ... and how tacky would it be?

I've RSVPed to the BMW one. They have a shuttle car directly from Quail.

Pagani seems to have 'misplaced' my invitation. Can't understand how that happened; I bought a Pagani baseball cap from them once!!!

I am ignoring the test drive invites. Not that interested in seeing how well an NSX idles in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Yes, I just learned that now it'll be over in Tehama, and with no onsite parking (valet only). I had planned to go again this year (last 2 years were great!), but this venue change conflicts with my other commitments on that Sat (the only evening I could go).

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    "Crashing" was a fun word to use , and I used it for the shock value, but you have to realize sometimes these automakers get all set up for a party and nobody comes. For instance last year I didn't have a Bentley invite but as I walked by their place (1000 ft, from the Mercedes building) I saw it was empty and they gestured to come hither so I went in. Same with BMW which had a nice one story house near Rolls House in PB. I walked by and they asked if I wanted to come in. I would say if you are well dressed and look like you could afford one of their cars, you might get lucky. I am not a bon vivant by any means but can talk the talk enough to get some grub,. At Bentley I joked around with Mr. I'll-be-back.I am hoping more F-chatters clue us in so we can have a list to carry in our hip pockets.. Don't forget--the job of a PR man is to fill those seats (which are probably costing them $150 per visitor)!Today I got invited to go to the Singer display at Pebble but I want the party, not the display. Anybody can see the display....

9. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    It is prettyeasy to go into the day houses. They usually have food and drink available. The night parties are a different story. Usually you need to be on THE LIST to get in

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Pebble Beach sent out this list pf previews, unveilings, but I think there's a party connected to each one, so if you know any dealers contact them and hint you are dumping your fazazz for a new Whoopie-Do so they will put you on the invite list

• The World Premiere of the Bentley Mulsanne W.O. Edition by Mulliner, which celebrates Bentley’s upcoming centenary and the legacy of W.O. Bentley’s own 8-Litre
    • The World Premiere of the Audi PB 18 e-tron, an electric supercar study from the German marque
    • The North American debut of the Polestar 1
    • The World Debut of the 2019 SSC Tuatara hypercar
    • The North American Debut of the electric BYTON K-Byte Concept
    • The World Debut of the coachbuilt SALAFF C2
    • The North American Debut of the Porsche 911 Reimagined by Singer, the result of their Dynamics and Lightweight Study
    • Lamborghini will also be bringing a guaranteed show stopper

11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I know that McLaren will be set up at Bernardus Lodge this year. Ferrari is something that seems a bit more elusive, despite being an owner (ha!). I think Porsche Zentrum will be at the same spot as last year. Not sure where Lamborghini, Aston, etc will be.

12. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Apparently you don't even have to be a reporter to go to the BMW unveiling. Hope they have good food, I go of course for the car but have to eat whilst I am ogling....this is from PB publicity:

Thursday, August 23

10:15 am - BMW: The unveilings begin with the World Premiere of a production-ready BMW on Thursday, August 23, at 10:15 am on the Pebble Beach Concours awards ramp immediately following the start of the Tour d’Elegance. The public as well as the press is invited. The BMW M850i also makes its North American Debut at this press conference, marking the highly anticipated return of the BMW 8 Series. And on Concours Sunday on the Concept Lawn, the BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe makes its North American Debut.

13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    May have to go watch this

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

14. Uniqueautozero

Apr 28, 2018
    Sent you a pm Bitzman

15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    When my 507 participated in the Z4 Concept and 8-series unveilings at Pebble last year at the exact same venue (press conf on Concours stage), there was food but it was for the BMW folks and press...not for the general public. The general public was able to view the unveilings and check out the `backdrop' cars since there were no barriers or ropes preventing them to do so. And of course the more people present the better the press conference looks.

16. Remember the alamo

Dec 9, 2014
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Rookie question. I am going out for the day on the 24th and meeting some friends. Will hit up McLaren, watch some of the events at Laguna, who knows from there. Don’t have particularly high expectations as I haven’t spent a lot of time planning, getting on lists, etc. My question is it a stupid idea to drive out in the Ferrari as the traffic will be so bad it won’t be any fun. I am driving from the East Bay and plan on leaving early in the morning so not worried about the traffic on the way there but more the general traffic when I am there. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    We take our F-car for the week there - been doing that for a few years. A few times we've gotten preferred parking without asking, just cuz we're driving an F-car!

Remember the alamo likes this.
  18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    You have the right sense of this whole circus.

Out of daytime hours, things aren't too bad. If your F-car needs airflow to prevent overheating, you might be concerned trying to change venues mid-day. Moving from venue to venue is best done on a motorcycle (that's the way Jay Leno gets around!). It is certainly better to plan your time.

I've never been to Laguna Seca on Friday, but Saturday there is my favorite thing to do during Car Week. The paddock is awesome; you can oogle cars up close and see and hear stuff that you can't hear or see elsewhere. The paddock smells of yesteryear: grease, brakes, oil and racing fuel. The roster of what is racing and when they are racing is published on the Laguna Seca website; always good stuff although last year was remarkably short of Ferrari representation (… although I did see one of my dream cars run, a 1959 250 Testa Rossa).

Without planning, just walking Ocean Avenue in Carmel in the evening is entertaining. Carmel is also a very nice place for dinner. A night time thing to do is go to an auction.

19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    In general, traffic in Carmel, Pebble Beach and areas of Monterey are a slow moving parking lot during Car Week except very early morning (eg, <9am) or in the evenings. I live less than 2 miles from the Gooding auction location and almost daily drive thru Pebble Beach to get to downtown Carmel. It's already evident, by noticeably increased traffic, that it'll be another bad year regarding trying to get around during the daytime. I'm showing at Carmel Concours and then at Rule Britannia with a different car that evening. I've already planned my exodus from downtown Carmel to Laguna Seca golf course (site of Rule Britannia) without ever traveling on Highway-1...just to avoid, or should I say minimize, sitting in traffic. My Dino has no overheating issues, but I just dislike sitting in traffic (no matter what I'm driving).

20. bearmdjd

bearmdjd Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    Tickets to some of these things can be fairly expensive for a couple of hours. Anyone have a link to the Rolls Royce events? Casa Ferrari requires passes, I guess contact your dealer.

Bentley Events:
    https://home-of-bentley-monterey-car-week-2018.eventfarm.com/events/index/fa83e247-230f-4efe-85eb-73230efe5f5f?page=7fff46cb-0000-45b3-a14d-1506f9cf291e

BMW Events:
    http://montereycarweek.eventsbmw.com/events/?token=DBEM1

Aston Martin:
    https://www.astonmartinclub1913.com/en-us/register?cid=0032400000KeOSkAAN&email_type=&email_id=&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=

WJC and ferraripanoz like this.
  21. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Got an invite from Lambo which will have a lounge at the North Club house. The non-owners tix price is $400USD.

22. Remember the alamo

Dec 9, 2014
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  23. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Yes, the parking is tight, the home belongs to a relative. I’m also not going, trying again to pace myself the entire week, and as usual there is too much to do/see.

I’ll also be at rule brittania. Seems we are two locals who have similar ideas

Cheers

24. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am going to guess that a McLaren dealer will get you on the list for dropping by Berbardus Loge in Carmel Valley (from Thurs through Saturday) if you sound at all like you might be open to switching brands sometime. And Carmel Valley is easier to drive in than Carmel. Last time I drove a McLaren it was only 40 mph (in Scottsdale at concours) so it made absolutely no impression on me. Maybe this time.....

25. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Spirited drive Thursday early out south 1 if anyone interested...