Just about to order Challenge wheels for $2,500 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Just about to order Challenge wheels for $2,500

Discussion in '360/430' started by sanfran, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
  2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My car is a a mid 2000 build date. If you are running those sizes and getting odd abs behavior it sounds more like old tires than anything else. When is mfg date for your tires? And what tires again? (I know you said I just didn’t search back to find the info).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #178 brookliner7, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Idguess most people are going to have brand new tires on their car, we just bought the wheels.

I have brand new re71r bridgestones..

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    To avoid ABS and ASR issues, keep the overall circumferences as close to OEM as possible. If they already are, the tires may be inducing ABS because new tires are slippery until they get rid of the mold release compound on them. That varies by tire but often takes a few hundred miles, less if driven in wet conditions. If you still have problems, it’s not the tires or wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    He said he has 225/35-19 and 285/35-19. That is standard sizes for the CS so there is no issue with the size. That means the issue is either the tires or a system issue. Since I have not heard about ABS systems failing it is almost certainly a tire issue.

You are making an assumption about his tires and their mfg date. I don’t believe it is a safe assumption. Nor do I believe assumption are a good idea when looking for a problem. In fact, your assumption rules out the most probable issue making it more dubious.

Needforspeed had a good observation and it is in line with the most likely causes. Look at traction first.

We did assume he meant normal or rapid acceleration. If that isn’t correct he could be experiencing other issues with lash in the driveline setting up an oscillation and triggering the abs/asr.

6. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Oliver, I sent to a note a few weeks ago.I am still waiting to hear from you regarding 18" challenge wheels from this manufacturer. Is it possible?

7. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Is it an optical illusion or are these bolts shorter than the usual bolts?

Will these work with stock starfish wheels or were these created to only work with the specs of your replica Challenge style wheels?

8. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    These bolts are for my wheels. Shaft is 35mm long. Starfish and F430 wheels need a longer shaft.

Everybody who has my wheels -- or HRE, etc -- can use these bolts.

9. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    I’m running 225/35/19 in front and 285/35/19 in the rear. I don’t recall the date off the top of my head but I remember them not being old and they only have about 30-45 miles on them as far as use. No ABS/ASR LIGHTS just slight pulsing of the ABS on firm breaking. Kind of like when it snows outside and you are stopping without sliding but you still get a slight pulse against your foot.

10. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Actually, there is an issue with size, I already posted that last page.

The CS diameter tires give a 6.7% difference from front to back, (non-CS 360 cars OEM is like 4.1% on the 18" diameter tires) which likely is the culprit of the problems most of us are having.

11. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Yes, thank you for responding. I remember someone having an issue but couldn’t find the post. If I remember correctly, you changed tire size and it worked for you. Is that correct? If so what size tire did you use to cure your issue. I’m sure I’m lucky since my issue isn’t so bad that I can’t drive the car. It just isn’t as fun as it was before cause I feel lit would be dangerous to drive spiritedly. (Like on the track of course ) plus, I don’t want to experiment $1,300 at a time since no one will refund tires once they’ve been mounted.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Then why doesn’t every CS on the road have an issue? They all have the same abs system.

I think the mold release is a good place to start. Scrub them in and see how it goes.

Marcopolo3382 likes this.
  13. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Just for informational purposes. The issues are not happening under “normal” driving. As in anything that would be legal on the street. As far as this goes the car has no issues, unless I was to stop suddenly. Then, like anything the ABS will activate. Although I do believe it would activate sooner than if the stock wheels were on it. Most of my issues are happening when the car can kill you. Under braking for a turn in at track speeds. Slowing down from 120 to 80. And applying firm but steady acceleration. (Not to the floor and not light on the accelerator) I know that I won’t experience most issues on the street but the car was capable of performing at this level prior to my issues so I feel like it should still be able to have the same level of drivability regardless if I’m on a track or not.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes. They are sensitive to setup. Just to clarify: are you feeling the pulsing or seeing the asr light flash on the dash?

15. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    I really don’t think my issue is as bad as some of the other guys. The car is drivable but not as fun as before. I am getting a slight ABS pulse. No ABS light or ASR light. Just enough feedback to know something is wrong. I feel that I may be having to change the tire set up. I am going to do some calculations and get measurements to see what my exact percentage is and go from there. I’ll do that on my next day off and keep everyone posted. It just sucks cause I really wanted to get this right the first time and not have to lose money figuring it out.

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    When did you last change gear oil? When I changed tires I started noticing a little chatter in the lsd. It feels kind of like asr but is different. The added traction was just enough that I had to add a little friction modifier. No ASR light indicates it isn’t ASR. Just another idea.

17. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    By looking at readily available sizes in most wheel manufactures...
    options would be :

245/35/19; difference front to back = 4.3%

225/40/19; difference front to back = 3.1%

When my CS size wears out, I'll go with the 245/35/19 up front, that'd make it a little wider and a little taller.
    To me looks like they'd fit on the wheel.
    My 225/35 look a little narrow on the rim and won't protect it from minor curb rash,(ask me how I know! :D) so, i wouldn't mine the extra width.

Also it'd eliminate a little understeer I get on the track at mid corner too.

I wondered this same thing myself, that's why I was upset when I dropped all the $$$ on the CS sizes assuming I wouldn't have any problems...

So, from what I've read, the CS has different ECU and TCU parameters for the ABS/ASR

18. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Probably been about 3 years. All of my issues are strictly in the brake pedal. It is pulsing against my foot so it is the ABS kicking in. No light but I know it’s the abs. Feels like a less dramatic ABS activation that you get when you drive in snow. I can push past the ABS resistance but it takes more force than normal braking. It’s not bad but it’s there. I’m starting to think that a tire change to get the aspect ratio a little close to stock may fix my issue. I feel like I’m right on the line of being out of spec.

19. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Guys,
    The early 360 programming is not as lenient in terms of deviating from stock wheel circumference or at the very least the delta between front and rear wheels> what Oliver has done here is AWESOME but for a 99 or early 00 you may have issues. I have a 99 and it is part of why i went with the 18" BBS Challenge wheels instead as i could continue to use stock tire sizes but at the same time get the challenge wheel look. width improvement which stiffens up the handling and the lighter wheels.

The only fix for this on early models is ECU related..... Good luck. These wheels look awesome and for later models they are plug and play and fantastic. Nice job Oliver!!!

20. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Great idea. If you are hopeless with a dremel or dont have one (me) you can find weather proof wheel cap stickers on Ebay or Amazon and stick them over the top of the OEM cap.

21. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    What ECU fix would you suggest? Maybe you can suggest something that will cut out a few expensive experiments lol.

22. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    And yes Oliver has done a wonderful thing and I think he is very knowledgeable. I’m glad there’s people like him still out there helping all of us have nice things without the astronomical Ferrari price.

23. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans

I'd imagine you'd have to purchase a CS ECU (none for sale, I've looked around) or the original firmware would have to be changed, which I'd imagine would be near impossible, and if not, expensive and timely.

I'd guess two new bigger front tires for $300-$500 would be the most cost effective, easiest, and fastest option.

24. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    True, that was my next option. I measured the tires today and compared them to the stock tires so I can get as close to the original size as possible. My issues are not that bad. That is why I think a small change in front tire size may cure my issue. I have heard of others with cars that are almost not able to be driven. Mine is no where near that. I just have a small issue that will need to be fixed cause it’s not 100 percent right. The ABS is still a Bosch system so I don’t believe that it will be that hard to fix. I truly think my tires are the issue. If that fixes it I’ll have a good deal on some Michelin 225/35/19 for anyone with f430 wheels haha!

25. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Not quite sure if 360Trev is working on something that would help with this ECU issue or not, but he is working on some cool stuff...I'd ping him before proceeding. (talk about a board member who's putting his expertise to work for all of us!)