Countach, the ultimate supercar | Page 1005 | FerrariChat

Countach, the ultimate supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Aug 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    The irony of buying a Countach LP400 from Simon Kidston since he doesn't have a good opinion about them

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #25102 joe sackey, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    It would be difficult to endorse a make/model/variant of car better than personal ownership characterized by frequent use, so please explain, what do you mean?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    Ownership with the purpose of investment is not a good example
    and my opinion was settled after seeing him in some videos with the other investment, the green LP400.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I see the ownership of his cars as being much more than just for the purpose of investment, he comes from a renowned sports car-loving family, and he clearly loves classic & sports cars as he incorporates them into his everyday life. For example, he actually drives all his cars and uses them for the purpose of both work & personal pleasure. Conversely, many people who will claim that they do not own these type of cars for the purpose of investment, never or hardly ever drive them at all!

Anyway, I must have missed those videos with the green LP400, I'm curious, what exactly did he say that that caused you to conclude that he doesn't have a good opinion about the LP400?

Lambocars666 and Michael Call like this.
  5. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i think he has 2 or 3 of them at the moment (green, viola and oro), considering they made 150 of them and he drives them quite often...i do not see him really not liking this model now

BlueBiturbo and Lambocars666 like this.
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Indeed, now could be the operative word, sometimes if you try something often enough and give it a chance, you might realize you actually like it, and when that happens, it doesn't matter what you said in the past, people evolve.

FWIW I believe the Oro car is consigned to Kidston, the Verde car is sold, and the Viola car is the one in the collection, not that this really matters but I could always ask him for clarification.

Lambocars666 likes this.
  7. orangelp400

orangelp400 Karting

Mar 17, 2012
    York UK
    Full Name:
    stephen
    I have spoken to him regarding LP400's and Countachs in general. He loves the LP400 which is why he owns one and has lavished so much on it. He is a great exponent of the model as confirmed over many years.

Lambocars666 and joe sackey like this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #25108 joe sackey, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Considering what he spent on the green LP400 to purchase it via public auction and subsequently fully restore it, any LP400 owner should be thanking him for championing their cause.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Another from the Monaco F1 Grand Prix Countach Pace Car series organized by Nuova Lamborghini SpA CEO Patrick Mimran.

This image was taken on Sunday May 15th 1983 @ the Loews Hotel turn, image by Rainer Schlegelmilch

10. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I´m very sure you´re right with this statement.

11. orangelp400

orangelp400 Karting

Mar 17, 2012
    York UK
    Full Name:
    stephen
    I could not agree more.

joe sackey likes this.
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    My OC neighbor owns 1121052, I've known car & owner for @ 20 years, he has actually owned it for @ 32 years, original paint, original leather, wingless, sport exhaust, always meticulously maintained, this LP400S S1 speaks to me

Ciro Izzo, ijvpet, Robert W and 9 others like this.
  14. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    This could be the yellow pace car of Monaco 1982.

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I absolutely love the telephone wheels!!! What a design!

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's a pretty striking machine. How are they to drive? Seems like they could make you feel claustrophobic?

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Peter K., S_AGATA and Lambocars666 like this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If you easily get claustrophobic, then yes.

But think of it like piloting a Group C sports car, you're in a reclined position, a bit like you would be in a Formula car. The cockpit for two is actually quite wide, and the huge windscreen lets in a lot of light and allows for a lot of forward visibility, so in my case I don't feel claustrophobic at all.

It's really a question of fitting height-wise, and as you have seen discussed here, if you are tall you want a 5 liter.

To drive? If they are working as they should then it's insanely fun, the sound and the feel is unparalleled, it's like driving a race-car on the street, and perhaps this is why the race-car drivers who owned Countachs loved them. You need a firm hand and deliberate inputs elicit the best performance, if you know how to drive them they are a joy, great therapy. Of course, nothing is for everyone, but if you love Countachs it becomes an obsession, as you can see in some of these threads.

2aftercannonball likes this.
  19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The only concern I really have is how the split side window feels and if the car has crazy blind spots?

20. Lambocars666

Lambocars666 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Yes, that's the one! CLA12477

joe sackey likes this.
  21. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The side windows are not a big deal. Blind spots are big but smaller than a panel van. Just set up the side mirrors to check the blind spots and use the rear view mirror to see behind you. Then it is no big deal. For reversing sit on the sill. If you do that it is the easiest car ever to back up in.

Cheers Jim

joe sackey and Dave rocks like this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Any mid-engined supercar of any make or model has blind-spots to a greater or lesser extent, you learn to operate the car safely despite them.

The split-side window is not an issue.

23. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Right. The only issue is the perception. It is intimidating to those without seat time.

joe sackey likes this.
  24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I suppose my 355 does not fall into "Supercar" status but it really has no blind spots. However, my Maserati GT, my DD, has horrible blind spots including the front A pillars as they are so wide :)

Make sense. Obviously the design did not afford enough room within the door to swallow the entire window.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Giving this question a little more thought, as a longtime Countach owner, I should say they are pretty awesome to drive as described above, most especially when you put into perspective what it is you are driving.

Consider that they are the coolest car with 4 wheels on the road bar none, they are the car that broke the mold when they were launched, they are the original ultimate supercar from which all others descend, they are the epitome the expression exotic car, they are the benchmark scissor-doors sports car that all others have sought to emulate, and, last but not least, as a certain journalist once said: there are faster or more expensive cars, but you could drive through life in a Countach and not notice them.