tire pressure | Page 2 | FerrariChat

tire pressure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by midengine, Jul 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    On the 458, I always ran the PSI suggested in the manual. At times it would drop down a couple PSI and the car seemed to handle a little better. With regard to feeling the difference between 1 or 2 PSI, I think that's certainly possible - especially if you are very in tune to the car. On my motorcycle, a 1 PSI difference made the motorcycle feel totally different; even a 10 degree temperature difference outside made the bike feel different.

Ray

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Strange, because typically hot environment will increase pressure quicker - so you better reduce the cold pressure in this condition (one reason for lowering pressure on track).

Regarding the (slightly) lower pressure at the rear, the rear tyre has a lower profile so is probably (slightly, again) more rigid than the front one, therefore requiring less pressure.

3. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    They specify less pressure at the rear to give understeer balance, which is the safer balance for the average driver. I run front and rear the same (at 30 psi).

4. Pinab7

Pinab7 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe Veranth
    I notice the higher left PSI as well and wondered why. Is it something to do with radiator placement or duty, left vs. right?

5. Pinab7

Pinab7 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe Veranth
    Never mind i see answer above.

6. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Keep in mind that recommended tire pressures are generally stated at 65 degrees F.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its good to see drivers are experimenting with tire pressures. I do not own a 458 and I keep the F12 at the recommended cold tire pressure. But that's likely because I don't drive it enough. On other cars, a drop from 30 to 28 psi made a huge difference - especially the fronts. Totally depends on the car/tire setup and how well a driver knows their car. Just 1 psi would take some finesse to feel but I believe it. Especially if you are trying to chase down tire shake or other suspension bugs and you are really tuned in to how your car is responding. Racing is another story and so are motorcycles where everything matters.

8. DanielDaniel

DanielDaniel Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel

Yes Indeed ....when you have High Performance Tires fitted in your car and High Performance shocks and suspension system

Air Pressure Can Feel Big Time Big difference with just one PSI lower or Up

Can feel the ride to be really stiff and bouncy totally can feel it

midengine
    Karting

May 8, 2007

Jul 9, 2013

Ferrari recommends 30 front / 29 rear psi.

I have Pirelli P Zeros. I find the ride to be really stiff and bouncy at the above setting.

I use 29 front / 28 rear and like it a lot better. It feels more natural, less tense/nervous.

What tire pressure do you guys run?

Yes the Tire Pressure