1970 Dino 246 GT 0870 Wins Preservation Class At Pebble Beach! | FerrariChat

1970 Dino 246 GT 0870 Wins Preservation Class At Pebble Beach!

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Aug 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I was fortunate to witness Brian Pollack’s big preservation class win at Pebble Beach Concours today with his 1970 Dino 246 GT 0870! This must be a first! They didn’t deduct for dealer installed options that were installed by a dealer in its first year. He had Ferrari script, mirrors and headlamp covers installed. The original documents and invoices were amazing! Brian and his wife are the original owners. They took delivery from the factory on their honeymoon!

Freeman

Sal Manzur, synchro, TBigs and 5 others like this.
  2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    What a wonderful achievement for Brian and richly deserved. That car is incredibly original and to be the first owner is just awesome.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    synchro, TBigs and LARRYH like this.
  4. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    congratulations randy and brian ! also the car was DRIVEN from seattle area to monterey . dz

Nuvolari and LARRYH like this.
  5. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is this the first time a production Dino has shown at Pebble?

6. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    well done... I would love to have been at Pebble Beach this year... fantastic news to see a production Dino on the lawn for the first time....

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    awesome!!!!!!

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Am I seeing things, but the photo in Italy has curved spinners, whereas now, they are straight ?
    Just curious :)

Anyhow, a big applause, what an honour!

Regards, Alberto

TTR likes this.
  9. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    There were two interesting question marks on this car. Why does it have two door locks on the driver's side? What is the story behind the unusual side view mirrors?

Thanks.

jts

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What great news and a great story! Congrats!

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Still curved!

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #13 TheMayor, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    What's impressive is keeping that car all the way through the smog era. Mine was 0908 -- almost identical but in red. Because it was a 1970 model, it was obviously a Euro model with no smog at all --not even a crankcase breather. Technically, my car should have never been imported.

In the late 80's and 90's it became more and more difficult for me to get a smog cert in California or Arizona where my mother lived and I could use to get Arizona plates.

Finally I convinced someone at AAA with enough documentation that it was a 1969 model and not a 71. This finally got me around my smog issue once and for all. Today they are exempt but in when they cars were about 15 t0 20 years old, Dino's were just "old cars".

What a hassle that period was for Euro cars in America -- and a lot of people just gave up.

So, I have tremendous admiration for keeping the car so long and so well. Well deserved award!

Ferraripilot likes this.
  13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here’s an email I just received from Brian clarifying the options (he mentioned to me at Pebble that the alarm system was bought by him at Halfords when he returned with the car to the UK, where he and Randy were living/working):

“Hi Freeman
    Great seeing you and your daughter on Sunday.
    Thanks for starting the thread.
    The Ferrari logo was factory installed. You can see it on the car from the picture of the car parked in Mondina the day I got the car.
    The second door lock is a vintage Bulldog alarm system.
    In 1970 the car did not come with a side mirror. I added it in 1971.
    The headlight covers were installed in December 1970 by Maranello Concessionares in Egham, UK.”

14. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Very impressive and richly deserved!

15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Actually it wasn't the first time. In 2012, a Dino that ran the Cannonball Run was there...I saw it during the Pebble Beach Concours Tour stop in Carmel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Impressive. I think that Brian and Randy Pollack’s Dino was the first to win it's class.

Freeman

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    lovely..... I didn't know Jack was there already....

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #19 synchro, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    That is just crazy talk, who does that drive?!
    :)
    It gets worse than that for Brian.... Here is one reason why you may not have seen this car before

Here we are at the International Meet in Monterey in 1994, Brian has submitrted his car for judging and it is getting late in the day. The judges were taking an extra long time to debate whether the paint was original or not. Brian even has the "as-delivered" extra can of liquid paint, documentation from Ferrari SpA that the Ferrari trunk badge was installed at the factory before collecting the car and a full history book of photo documentation. Nothing could be more of a sure deal, but he is getting grilled by the judges.

I walked over where Brian was patiently waiting, who is a guy that is as laid back as it get, he turns to me and says
    "The last time I showed this car was in Michigan in the early 1980s and I got a really low score in the 80 points range. ....Now this...."

Yes you did.
    :)
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/141655357/

The Pebble Beach Tour d' Elegance starts in Seattle and drives to Monterey through the backroads, I'm guessing the cost is about $10,000 USD. So when Jacks Dino 05984 arrived at the starting point 2 miles from my house with a dead battery and the newly installed started sporting a partially seized starter plunger. We had to work fast. We got him into my garage and spent the arrival day diagnosing it, then the next day to Carlo with a big thank you to Carlo for the immediate machine work needed.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/carlo-alfa-of-tacoma-save-cannonball-jack-on-pebble-beach-trip-to-the-pnw.378475/

Now starting well and intended on doing the full route, Jack intends to make up time by going faster. To faciltate that I drive my car to lead him through a shortcut to the starting point at the base of the Cascade Mountains to catch up to the group, yet still enjoy the original route.

10 seconds after we said goodbye, his clutch cable then snapped.
    I am not making this up.
    Towed it to Bernd Buschen's shop, arrived after dark and diagnose. Broken clutch cable! This is a tough part and no NAPA has it, so I rush home, pull the new cable for my restoration and rush back. We worked until midnight installing the new cable and it is good to go! At 8AM the second day of the rally, Jack is finally ready to start and he has full intention of driving the Cascade Mountain pass routes just as the tour did.

During the next few hours I am getting Text messages from Jack and Iris about the extra, extra legal speeds he is going to catch up. I'm not one to talk but i did roll my eyes as that whole route is very remote and half the time they're out of cell range in mountain canyons.
    Thank Goodness it all worked out.

3 weeks later, both Bernie and I both received a case of Far Niente wine.
    Wow!

First photo is of Brian in 1994

Second photo is of Iris, Cannonball Jack with Brian in 2012 at The Pebble Beach Tour d' Elegance at Club Auto/Lemay in Kirkland, WA

Attached Files:

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jack has got one of the best attitudes ever, even broken down and being a spectacle of bright white with stickers on it, patrons from the local bar come out to see it. Jack takes the time to engage and chat all up with tales from his racing days. "One of the stupidest things I ever did was the Trans-Amazon Race..."

We were rolling in laughter as he entertained us waiting for the flat bed!
    This is just a snippet, this guy has hilarious stories all day long!

20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Just saw this car on tonight’s new episode of chasing classic cars. Absolutely stunning!

21. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Ah, the Dino on last nights new Chasing Classic Cars (when Wayne brought his Commander) was a different car...and silver, not white.

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I was making reference to this Dino.

23. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    ghenne likes this.