No listing price on sale ad. | FerrariChat

No listing price on sale ad.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Metastable, Aug 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

There have been discussions about this topic on some of the for sale threads., but I do not think that is the correct place to get into a discussion, because you will have at least one party that will become offended.

As a buyer, I will usually not even bother dealing with someone selling a vehicle where the price is not listed. Give me a ballpark...... otherwise, forget it, I will rarely ask for further details. I like transparency, and to me that is the first red flag. The other red flag is no pictures.

Question - are you dissuaded from seeking further information on a vehicle because the price is not mentioned in the ad?

2. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Personally I think it is stupid not to list the price, whether it is $5,000, $5 million, or $50 million. I can only speculate what the thinking is behind it.

1) The sales people think they can sell people better once they get them on the phone.
    2) The cars have known owners who don't want the price publicly displayed.
    3) The price is in flux, depending on who calls.

What's the big secret? It's a car, it's for sale.

Maybe someone who advertises like this, whether it is cars or real estate, or anything else can chime in here and let us know the philosophy behind it.

3. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Yes! I can’t stand when there is not a listed price! I usually just keep scrolling when I see that. I mean, if you are in the market for something that can be purchased for $80,000 and you inquire about one that has no listed price and they tell you it’s $120,000 they have just wasted your time as well as theirs and to top it off they get all bent out of shape and act like you are a fool to waste their time and ask about a car if you can’t afford it. Just put the price and someone who is looking for a car in that price range will call. Why get a bunch of unnecessary calls from people who may not be in the range of your asking price. Unless you like to say the same stuff over and over and work 100 times harder for no reason. In that case don’t list a price haha!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GNU, DrewH, Texas Forever and 2 others like this.
  4. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Yep, I agree with all of the above. If it's actually for sale, it will have a price. If it doesn't the seller is fishing for offers or has it outrageously priced (& knows it) but doesn't want to disclose their outrageous price. I will not closely read the ad or click any link or send any email to a dipstick that can't be bothered to put a price in their ad. For anything: car, house, motorcycle, you name it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever and Boomhauer like this.
  5. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    If I'm actually searching for a certain car, it would make no difference whatsoever and of course it's worth a phone call. Heck, If I'm honestly looking to buy, calls to people who aren't actively selling their car are worth it. I tend to think people who say they truly are buying but won't investigate an ad without a price are bluffing a bit on how real they are as a buyer.

If I'm just browsing for fun, I like to see prices.

I have no problem with f-chat not requiring prices.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMO, if you fail to advertise a price that's an invitation for me to make up my own price, which will be roughly wholesale.

I see more harm than good in not listing a price, but it's not a deal breaker for me (as a buyer).

As a seller I would almost always give a price. Only case where I wouldn't is if the market for that given item is trending up quickly enough to where advertising a price might shortchange you in the short term (think aircooled Porsches a few years ago, when prices seemed to be increasing 10+% a month for a while)

BMW.SauberF1Team and JG333SP like this.
  7. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I've always thought one of the best features of the FML was they required certain details for all cars, including price.

Jakuzzi, tifoso2728 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Unless its a VERY low production car, I won't bother with non-priced ads because most of us will deduce that the price will be too high or the seller not motivated.

9. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    reason # 4

"More than you can afford pal. Ferrari!!!"

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont see a problem with not listing a price. Its a phone call or email. No big deal.

ScottS, Cigarzman and arizonaitalian like this.
  11. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Not always, and must be someone who can afford it, otherwise why are you advertising it there.

And that's really not a reason. Because some people can't afford it don't list the price. I would still love some sellers who work this way to chime in here. Would honestly like to hear their reasoning.

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just thought a "classic" quote was apropriate

paulchua likes this.
  13. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The fact that the forum doesn't have a simple For Sale template (with price, of course!) has always been laughable to me.

14. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    The reason there is no price is simple. They want you to call them so they can give you "the price of the day" after feeling you out. Its BS and illegal if you are a licensed dealer due to bait and switch tactics.
    I guarantee if you ask them as soon as they pick up the phone what the price is they will ask you what your budget is.

Shark01, Jaguar36, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    yep and a VIN

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I boycott any seller who doesn't have a price. I also boycott any seller who calls a F1 and manual transmission.

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    C'mon guys, don't you know all Ferrari buyers don't care about price and just enjoy throwing money away?

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    yes, and i've been threatened for bans for even mentioning it on the one sponsors ads. It's silly bc that guy keeps bumping ads forever, I was super interested in his 355 challenge car with a road title and he kept bumping it for months and no I didn't want to call him to play his games, just give me a price, and if its too much I don't have to waste my time.

LARRYH and Boomhauer like this.
  19. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    #19 Schulz308, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Epically Frusterating to find an ad for just the right car and the price is POA.

I am put off immediately by the “Market Price” tactics and become very quick to distrust the seller’s ability to determine current market.

IMO those tactics are used to weed out the educated buyer and prey on the compulsive fool.

I avoid such offerings mostly, but if The vehicle hits all the right buttons and I must call, the mood is less friendly.

Much Like when you leave the bank and slam into a locked door on the right! Do they wish to frustrate 99% of customers for the slim chance that a burglar may be slowed by a door trick?

Jakuzzi and tifoso2728 like this.
  20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Man you guys are pretty thin skinned if this bothers you. You arent entitled to a price. If you dont like it dont consider those cars. Problem solved. Bunch of babies :)

bigsquat likes this.
  21. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #21 F355 Fan 82, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    It doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that certain sponsor, he bumps his posts for months on end for cars and wont post a price, just a simple call me. You realize that any item, doesn't matter if its $5 or $5m if its priced fairly will sell quickly right? My 575, I bought it last year for $104,000 yes $104k red/tan low miles, why did I do it? Because every other one was listed for $129-$149k. I didn't waste time, called him up and in a few minutes arranged a ppi and a purchase for full price, well he took $500 off thats it.It's 2018, anything you want to buy, you can find comps within seconds online, so just give me a price and let me determine if you're worth opening negotiations with. A 48k mile red/tan one had just gone on bring a trailer fo

LARRYH, Boomhauer and Jaguar36 like this.
  22. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
    This sums it up. No need to embellish. Just the facts. Price is a fact, no?

Jaguar36, Jakuzzi and Texas Forever like this.
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Gerald Rouse used to edit the ads and take out all the adjectives.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tifoso2728 likes this.
  24. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    YES, since it seems like the "seller" is on a fishing expedition on how much they can gouge off a prospective buyer.

Zcobra1 likes this.