F1 Spill ? | FerrariChat

F1 Spill ?

Discussion in '612/599' started by F3RN4ND0, Jun 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Hi guys,

Just found this spill this morning..
    It looks like a F1 overfill, but circumstances have me scratching my head :
    I just drove the car in fluid city traffic for a few miles the previous day (no overheat or something).
    The spill is not large.. lets say 100cc.
    Fluid dropped from somewhere very close and somewhat in front of left rear wheel .
    Garage floor has been completely clean the days prior to this, and no work has been done on the car for more than 6 months.

The pump charges ok when opening the door, the car starts ok, I can change gears (N to 1, N to R) and it hasnt spilled the rest of the day ..
    I havent driven her since.

Any clues?

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    For the help of others,.. this has been another case of burnt contacts at the F1 pump relay ..

Makuono likes this.
  3. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    That sounds scary, do you have other damages resulting from this ? I mean if the pump kept on pushing, I guess you either had a safety valve opening or you burned your pump or damaged the accumulator.
    How many miles did you do on the original relay ?

4. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Fernando, which year is your 599? And miles? Your pump was running more often that usual?

Glad that you solved it, and thanks for the warning. I'm thinking oaf buying the Swiss smart relay to avoid issues with the F1 pump.

5. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    The car is still in the workshop.
    It looks like a safety valve opened, thus the oil spill.
    It seems the pump is ok. Indeed, there was no previous fault at changing gears or so. But the workshop will check for stable pressures.
    The car is a 2009 model with 36k km on the clock.

Shall I go Scud Ing Swiss ?

6. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Scud ing would have prevented that indeed, I have one, it is working well, you get the fault diagnostic when something happens and know which part is faulty
    Scudding also prevents too long pumping to protect the pump and other good stuff, you would need to look on their website to know more
    A normal relay costs 1/10 of a scuding relay but is not faultless and I am sure you would have already saved the cost by avoiding the workshop bill you are going to get
    I just think looking at parts + man hour cost it is a good investment

7. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    Nice.
    Should I buy the Standard one or the Premium one ?
    I guess this is a question for Stef

8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Could you provide more information on the "scuding" relay and where it can be purchased.

Thank you

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk