Removing Countach seats / other interior tidbits? | FerrariChat

Removing Countach seats / other interior tidbits?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by randomlambo, Sep 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    I think I'm losing my search prowess as I have come up short...

Is there any thread on here or anywhere else that describes how to attack interior work in a Countach?

Of interest:

(a) removing seats - probably should be simple but I'd rather not explore on my own...

(b) headliner replacement - PITA I hear?

(c) refurbing some of the dash parts like vents/etc. - how to take things out?

I have seen this link:

lp5000.blogspot.com/2013/09/removing-countach-interior-and-dash-and.html

but it's not detailed enough.

Thank you all.

2. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Seats are easy - but they are different driver to passenger, drivers side cap-head bolts so you will need a hex key, and then on the passenger side they are captive so just need to loosen the nuts under the car. Headliner is a tricky job but not impossible trick is to mark the centre line of the roof and mark centre line of the headliner and work from the centre out - it helps if you remove the header rail and side trims as the headliner tucks under these. The dash vents can be tricky as they should just clip into place but on my car a couple were also glued!

randomlambo likes this.
  3. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Thank you -- I remember your advice a few years back regarding various tidbits when restoring the car and this is greatly appreciated.

On the seats, basically everything is from under the car and then the seats lift out?

The headliner in this car is (currently) a thin drooping white cloth which I'd love to be able to stretch back up and attach into place. I'm thinking this is just the outer cover of the headliner and everything needs to be removed and restored before being put back in? This car is a 79 400S (early S2).

I've heard conflicting info that the dash is glued to the windshield, does anybody know?

4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Yes all the nuts are under the car, it really is a 2 man job someone to hold the allen key on the top side and then nuts from underneath, seats then lift right out. For the front 2 bolts you may need to grind the allen key short to access the fixings as it is quite tight even with seat pushed all the way back. The headliners are easy to tear so go steady if pulling it out.

5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    with respect to the dash it should not be glued if you take put the 2 outer circular air vents you will find a stud bonded into the dash upper moulding and a retaining nut in each corner tat secures to the main duct fixed to the bulkhead, they are a pig to get at but that is what retains the dash at the top.

6. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Please post some photos, we would love to see your CT project!

7. Downdraft1

Downdraft1 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2008
    Best to remove the leather sides first then seats.

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good advice!

9. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Why is that? Do the seat rails scratch the side leather? Or something else?

Also how do you remove the leather sides, are we talking about the center console as well or only the outer (door) sides?

10. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Just the side panels they are secured by a handful of screws into brackets then just lift out.

11. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    No hex or Allen bolt for the seats normally.. i think someone may have lost one of yours to create that situation. 4 four bolts for each seat.. I agree with side bolsters out first. Just a few screws for each of them.. to get to all the bolts for the seats when you put them back in you can move the seat forward to access 2 then full back to access the other 2

12. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Seats come out in 10 minutes.. side bolsters, you will have to unplug the speaker wire to take out of the car... the dash is not, should not be glued to the window!!! Nor should any ac vents be glued in. Dash is also easy to take out.. check Raymond’s site for that. Dash and glove box can be a real bear to put back in.