Fuel Injector Fuel Connection | FerrariChat

Fuel Injector Fuel Connection

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DanielGA, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I have searched the forums and internet but cannot figure out the following detail of a 308 engine EFI conversion I am planning:

The typical fuel injector ends is a 14mm o-ring which often plugs into a fuel rail. However, for my 2-valve 308 conversion I will not put fuel rail directly above the injectors...instead I want to put a fuel line (hard or soft) so I have to connect the fuel injector to that line.

I suppose this means a 14mm o-ring connector (e.g., the standard Bosch fuel injector style connection) to something like -4AN or -6AN or something else. However, I cannot find such connectors anywhere. I see a bunch of quick-connect to many things in the fuel injection section but that does not seem like the right thing, and of course AN to barb, and many other versions, but nothing to 14mm o-ring. I looked around fuel rail websites too.

This might be a trivial question, but the answer is avoiding me....any suggestions?

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Daniel, it's an interesting problem, and I think the reason you're not finding any solutions is because there is nothing available to reliably hold such a connector/adapter to the injector. You would need to fabricate some sort of mechanical clip to do this, and I'm not sure I would trust that anyway. But where there's a will, there's a way, however you may have to design & build it yourself.

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Cribbj is right. I have seen one EFI that had stand alone injector lines and they had custom fittings and holders. It can be done and I think it would be a fun project to figure out and fabricate. I have full machine shop capabilities here and will help you if you like.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm at a loss of what you are trying to accomplish..can you explain further your lay out ideas?

5. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks for taking the time to worry about this.... let me try and clarify.

Overall I am planning a conversion to EFI for my 2 valve 308 engine (in a Mondial), using much help from fchat forums. One confusing step is fuel injectors. The typical fuel injection arrangement puts a fuel rail on top of the injectors of each bank and then the fuel rail is fastened down. Each injector top has an o-ring that inserts into the fuel rail and sometimes a clip is present as well that is inserted per injector. In this engine, the injectors are at odd and varying angles and there is dubious space for a fuel rail for at least one of the banks. Thus, following others in fchat, I have figured out (or understood) how to secure the fuel injectors to the manifold. But missing is how to secure a fuel line to the top of the injectors. One option is to secure a stainless steel flexible line to each injector and then run those lines to a fuel rail (maybe one per bank). The use of the flexible line means that varying angled position of the injectors is not an issue and the fuel rail can be positioned somewhere where there is space. However, how do I fix some soft line (or could be a hardline that I manually bend into shape)? Typical fuel line connectors are AN, barb, and a few others. I could not find someway to attach to the o-ring mechanism of fuel injectors.

Presumably, I could saw off the part of a fuel rail to which they connect usually, but that does not solve the problem since then I have to connect a fuel line to some sawed off metal part.

So, is there a connector for this that I am simply not aware of? Prior responses seem to indicate that a custom connector is needed...

Thoughts?

6. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Maybe I just found a partial answer after some random internet searching:

https://www.efihardware.com/products/2358/14mm-Injector-Oring-To-Hose-Tail-Adapter-Steel

This is a steel piece which fits over the o-ring of the injector (with a clip) and then to a barb connector; I suppose then I can connect a flex line and on the other side put some standard connector. I am not sure how "secure" this is, but if rest is well designed, maybe just fine. Its a bit pricey at AUD $25 but I guess much easier than custom fab'ing 8 of these :)

Thoughts?

waymar likes this.
  7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    That gets the fuel line connected, now some clever way to hold the injector in is all you need. ;)

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Looks like you're almost there! Please keep the thread updated with photos as a guide to others who may want to do this. What ECU's are you looking at for this, and are you considering driving the ignition from it as well?

9. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Will do! One or two more details to iron out....will post "full DIY kit" :) .... cost is around $2500 (including padding for some micro details)...

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I know exactly of what you speak, I developed an EFI conversion for the 2v and QV long ago. The 2v is a real pita for the lines due to the angles of the ports. The early version used custom injectors, I've since updated the design to use the modern molded injectors.
    The fuel rail that feeds the injector has to be custom made as does the "hat" or cup, the bigger trick is holding the injector in the manifold.
    http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_008.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

thorn likes this.