No Reserve 1993 512 TR Bonhams 2018 Quail | FerrariChat

No Reserve 1993 512 TR Bonhams 2018 Quail

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by VColin, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24811/lot/16/

This seems very interesting. It's being offered without reserve, with a $175,000-$225,000 estimate. I think the results will influence the market a great deal since asking prices have been so variable. I think the low estimate seems a little low for the mileage, and what appears to be a good condition car.

I wonder about a repaint at 16,000 miles, but to my eye, it looks nice in the photos. I wish there were photos of the repaint process; before and after photos, etc.
    I think my car's paint is very nice but *every little* paint chip that's corrected and not perfect can sometimes make me subconsciously twitch, so I can understand why someone might want to make it perfect. At whatever the expense it may take. I drive a lot and am sure one day I will hit my threshold for the glass-out bare metal repaint, but 16,000 miles does seem a little early.

Interior looks great. Minor warping around the glovebox and radio cover, but I don't see any shrinkage. Dashboard instrument housing leather looks different than the rest of the dash, so maybe one or the other was re-covered, and done differently. Driver's side door seal could be re-done so there's no gapping.

It's one of the earlier lots of the day, so I'm tempted to stop by.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this car/auction?

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Looks nice. I agree with you that a repaint so early should be documented to avoid future questions.
    Its low mileage so i would think it will get the 180k mark.
    The ones i have seen go for lower were all above 30k miles.
    Very few 512tr for sale right now so harder in my mind to read the market vs the tr who has generally softened.
    Now in Europe the 512tr have softened too but here not as much;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    what a beauty timeless design

4. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Very nice car, I am anxious to see what it will bring. I agree with not many 512tr's on the market.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Sold for 160K.

6. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    So, $176k with the buyer's premium. Lower than what I was expecting.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Market definitely still weak.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Interestingly enough lot 16 in 2016 wqs also a 512 tr-only 6 k miles but sold for. 225k!

9. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    #9 blkdiablo33, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    great deal and with records and recent service congrats to buyer also 16 m sold for a great price including fees looks like there were some good deals to be had 16 m is one of my favorites

VColin and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    some cars say can not be sold in cali wonder why?

11. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Probably something to do with emissions/lack of catalytic converters.

I think the seller is required to make sure a car passes California emissions when a car is sold in California. If it doesn't, they're responsible for whatever is needed.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s correct...unsurprisingly i found out that for a few benjamins you can get any car to pass smog in California;)

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how is that weak? its a 93 with a repaint!?!?!

14. Natkingcolebasket69

A 512 tr at 160k is pretty low. A respray if documented is not a bad thing of documented. Car had low miles and service. 2 years ago that same car would have fetched more.

15. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sharp looking car.

Nat,
    It is 176K all in. Plus the painter missed simple details. No blackout by the tail lamps and the deck is painted body color (like a '94). I'd expect it to be documented and correct. This is easy to correct but what else did they miss? Not a car to base values off of.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes but still there are so little for sale hard to have any values...i know some sold for 140-150k with service and 30k ish miles... the low mileage ones don’t move that much

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh if anything thats an entry level example if im the buyer

18. Natkingcolebasket69

I guess we are saying the same thing: its a lot of money for that car but i see the market as weak considering nicer examples have gone for sale in the 150k with service and 30k+ miles: problems there are not many 512 for sale these days.

19. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I agree. My 90 has 95% paint perfection and interior so why the repaint? Just my opinion but it hurts the value. I would like to see
    a windows out, rubber and trim off dissembled car and sanded down to bare metal. I would have to see it to believe it and why?

22. Natkingcolebasket69

This shop has a so so reputation; i think what they say they sid is exagerated... maybe they did a dye on the seats but 5k of work? No way