New Magnum PI series debuts tonight! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Magnum PI series debuts tonight!

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 milano, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I watch the original daily at 3pm pacific on Encore channel 537 Direct TV. Having watched a classic Magnum before seeing the reboot, made me really dislike it. I only liked the opening credits and the 308 before it was wrecked. I hate impossible CGI action. A female Higgins that Magnum will be hooking up with, is just stupid. I don't like the new Rick either. I won't watch another.

Archer911 likes this.
  2. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Look....The only reason I watched Baywatch was for the boobs....The only reason I'll watch this new series is for the Ferraris. Same principle. Maybe they will replace the 308?

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I am surprised that no one here has noted that there were a pair of 308's used - an Euro and a USA spec interchangeably.

Differences in the front bumper / driver's outside mirror / rear engine decklid louvre shots were those which I caught.

And does the fact that I caught the differences make me an official 308 nerd geek?

DM

Archer911 and myronx19 like this.
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ok. Most of the Magnum fans here were about 13 when the original came out. Car-enthused teens will like this. Let's not pretend that the original show is a plotting and writing masterpiece. All shows have good episodes, bad episodes, and totally forgettable episodes. I think for season 1 episode 1 where the characters are still being developed, it was fine.

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    No I caught that too. One instance was as he was passing the unimog the car suddenly had euro mirrors and in the shot right before that it had the square u.s. mirrors.
    It looked like a beautiful example q.v. in one of the scenes they had a close shot of the seats and they looked perfect as did the rest of the car.

6. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    also.. this is not a 308.. (this has probably been covered already, but...)

no 1/4 vent glass, the louvers look wrong, wiper/hood/cowl, targa opening, no door handle, weatherstrip, etc.. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

wise3 and Archer911 like this.
  7. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    BETTER than the sexual tension between Magnum and the original Higgins in the 80's! :)

8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    And...... yelling at kids that step on you lawn, and complaining about that "darn rock music"! :)

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I noticed.

And I am one. In a big way :D

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But I got to admit, the 308 sure looks gorgeous on the TV while he was driving it, but not the time when crashed it.

11. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

What?

12. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I am surprised you guys didn't notice the differences in the 488. He drives up in a 488, then the car that gets crashed looks like a 458 with a piece of plastic along the side. It wasn't even close to a 488.

The 308 with the black vents looked very cool. What a great car.

wise3 likes this.
  13. lem321

lem321 Karting

Mar 7, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Wilson Lem
    I enjoyed the show for what it is. Tom Selleck and the Magnum PI cult would be a hard act for anyone to follow. I think the producers purposely chose not to copy the original but rather do a derivative (Hispanic Magnum, female Higgins who can kick some butt). Seeing the 308 QV was great - it was the star of the show. Although like others, I noticed there were some things about the car that weren't quite right (e.g. Euro/USA mirrors, no Ferrari horse embossed on the head rest, door handle driver side). Scenes of Hawaii were beautiful too. For a series opener, it wasn't bad. Character development will take some time and a commitment to watch at least a few more episodes to give it a fair shot. Will I watch it again? Absolutely!

miketuason likes this.
  14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have always thought the first two or three (especially the first) seasons were the best and I don't normally feel that way about other series.

Everything else I ever watched in my life, the characters got "better" as they evolved and the writers became more familiar with them. I have always felt, and still do to this day, that Magnum got it right straight out of the gate on the first day. And I watched every single episode back then. Of course they tweeked the hell out of Rick's character after the pilot (thank God) but by episode two he was good to go as well.

15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Magnum PI
    And
    Magnum PU

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Any idea who owns the 308's used in this first episode? Any at all?

Anyone around here?

17. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I feel the same way about the first couple of seasons even liked the theme music better in the first episodes.
    One other show I feel the same way about is mash.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You may not believe this but I SWEAR it is true; I was thinking MASH when I was typing that!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I watched the first part again and then finished it. Guess I will keep trying it.

20. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    1. Trite and formulaic - Check
    2. Implausible action scenes - Check
    3. Overacted - Check
    4. Cool Ferraris and good looking actors - Check

All the ingredients for success for their target audience, which is most likely not this FChat audience. However, I think they could secure most of us as regular viewers if they keep good air time with the Ferraris and especially some classic ones in their mix. I'll try it a few more episodes and really hope another 308 comes back. Might even be one of those shows where you ignore the dialog completely and just watch for the eye candy. Like Bullitt the movie... do I know or care about the plot? Nah. Same here.

Archer911 likes this.
  21. Jakey

Jakey Karting

Feb 2, 2016
    S.F. Bay area
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It was better than I expected. But I had very low expectations. I liked the scene where Magnum drives off in the 308. Reminds me of westerns where the old cowboy takes his six shooters out of retirement one last time for a final shoot out.

I will probably watch more of this show for the Hawaiian scenery and the Ferraris.

22. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #73 miketuason, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    We counted three different 308's in the pilot episode of the original series too

wise3 likes this.
  24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Watch the pilot episode of the original Magnum PI. After he “steals” the Ferrari he’s parked in the grass, unlatches the targa and shoves it back off the rear deck, does the eyebrow thing and peels out and you never see the top again.

Rosey and wise3 like this.