Novitec Bi-Compressor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Novitec Bi-Compressor

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Feb 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Q. How much experience have you had driving the Novitec supercharged actual car or is it speculation based on your experience of similar?

All are interesting points, well made... From the the torque/power curve graphics posted from Novitec, they don't show what the negatives could be so I guess an owner dyno of the stock car followed by the supercharged would be the only way to illustrate your points (vs manufacturer figures) more clearly.

Perhaps the sizing of the supercharges is the issue here. Did they really need 2 and are they the right sizes? For instance could they not have done this application with a single one inline with the air intake I wonder? Also feeling depends on so many factors, how its mapped, how sensitive the throttle maps are, how much boost they are running, mapping for octane, etc. So many factors are going to impact this that I cannot say either way until i try it...

2. trainwrex

trainwrex Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Trev have you thought about going an engine management system such as MoTec?

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I have not driven the Novitec 360. What I'm saying is based on my experience driving/tuning hundreds of centrifugal supercharged cars otherwise.

Yes it will vary car to car but the nature of centrifugal supercharging, the components used, boost curve and driving characteristics mean the difference in the way they drive in comparison to something naturally aspirated is very similar.

Again, you may like it very well, this is just my opinion.

4. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Was reading in another thread and found this

Hay mapper- you might find this interesting-
    We found that on a Novitec 360 they left the stock ECU's to keep the canbus intact w the f1 tcu. They added what appears to be a haltech controller for the additional (2)injectors in the intake manifold. I was expecting something a bit more elegant, like upgrading all 8 injectors and a single ECU. No such luck.

Can anyone confirm this ? Maybe the early ones ?

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I can confirm, at least on the kit I've seen that it uses upgraded fuel injectors (larger) and a remap of the existing ecu. No additional injectors or extra controllers.

6. avalanche79

avalanche79 Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    germany
    Full Name:
    chris d
    Hello
    Im the guy from germany (carpassion forum).
    Did you finished the supercharger Projekt. ?
    It is unbeliveable how fast the car is.
    But i hate the Problems of the construction.
    Many belts Broke
    And 3 x rotrex supercharger .
    Best regards chris

one4torque likes this.
  7. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Chris
    Always interesting to learn more about the Novitec cars , as there seems to be so little info about them . Have you resolved all the issues , is it now reliable ?

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Interesting to see high rpm boost limited by an intake restrictor.

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Which side, or both? The right bank belt has a few extreme reversals in it.

10. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    I've had experience with 3 supercharged cars that were owned by family members and they were all fun and sounded nice BUT non of them were fast, they were inferior to turbos. you put alot of stress on the engine and the complexity of it + reliability of the bearings on them were low as they have no oil or water lines for lubrication or cooling.
    If you really want to do it use pure water injection and you wont have problems like intercooler heat soak

11. avalanche79

avalanche79 Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    germany
    Full Name:
    chris d
    Two belts and one supercharger on the driver side. One belt and two chargers on the alternator side , broken.
    The System itself , works verry Well.
    I driver Green hell every Week 3 Jears now.
    I can promise You,a stradale with 600 HP is fast on the Ring.
    Sound is loud like a Stock stradale.

12. avalanche79

avalanche79 Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    germany
    Full Name:
    chris d
    I changed the Front for more cooling air because There are 4 watercoolers now. Two Stock and two for the intercooling System.

13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Avalanche- Great build!

I would say if you have a lot of time passion and resources the sc route can be great.

If you lack one of these, move along.

I’ve had several centrifugal sc cars and my builds req a lot of tinkering to keep them performing.

Challenges are: complexity, addl wgt, heat soak,stress on end of crank, risk of deto and engine damage due to a number of things: fuel, part fail, heat, etc...

If you are expecting plug and play I would pass. Gl

sleepinglh likes this.
  14. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    @Trev: regarding the input you got from Chris are you still looking for the complete compressor set? Might help you out... sorry i didnt read whole thread so might be that you got already one!
    Enjoy your weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
  16. fabrices

fabrices Karting

Jul 31, 2013
    FRANCE
    collegeboy likes this.
  17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's early 90's aftermarket tuning!

collegeboy likes this.
  18. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think there were different revision of the install . As I have definitely seen an extra fuel line tapping from the std fuel rail going somewhere towards the heat exchangers (as above ) in some pics. Then in later installs this was dropped for a possibly more modern , bigger std injector and better ECU control.