First Ferrari coming from 991.2 GT3 - Specific 458 Questions | FerrariChat

First Ferrari coming from 991.2 GT3 - Specific 458 Questions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Nov 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Hey guys,

Been waffling for the last couple months about making the switch from my 2018 991.2 GT3 to a later MY Ferrari 458 Italia. Doing a lot of due diligence being new to the Ferrari brand and trying to just set my expectations. I think it's a move I won't regret because I don't track my GT3, but just enjoy canyon drives/road trips around LA/Malibu canyons/etc and I find the 458 to be the most beautiful modern Ferrari made (maybe car in general). Coupled with how attractive the prices look recently for the 458 Italia + last NA V8 and I am now more interested than ever. That being said, I do love and likely under appreciate how rock solid my GT3 feels and how I feel like I can just throw the car at anything and it just goes, so I am feeling like the 458 experience might be a bit more delicate. Just worried I'll take delivery and watch as the DCT implodes or the car battery is dead on arrival lol. I already have nearly 6k miles on my GT3 (3k miles driven in past 4 months) and really enjoy driving it, it feels bulletproof. But maybe I'm looking for more of an event or occasion when I go out for my drives. That sense of occasion I get in the GT3 mostly comes either from people looking at me on the street or north of 6k RPM where you get the glorious noise, otherwise it feels mostly like your run of the mill 911 (FWIW, not necessarily a con). Trouble is reaching the upper part of the power band hard on the street for the GT3. Only room for one "fun car" to accompany my 991.2 Carrera 4 daily driver. I would plan to flog the 458 in the canyons and put some miles on the car, I'm not worried about depreciation but reliability/maintenance. Don't plan on buying a car of this caliber to collect dust since I'm not looking for any collector caliber examples.

I had some specific questions that I can think of as I consider this switch for you guys with experience. Any other input/opinions greatly appreciated as well.

- Battery maintainer. Is this critical for a car that will be driven often/at least weekly for the most part in Southern California? The reason is I live in an apartment building so having to connect a trickle charger to the car would simply negate this move into the Ferrari (at least until I buy or rent a home out here in LA). Could I just upgrade the battery to prevent this requirement?

- Lifter System. Not necessary I bet compared to my GT3 where I find it essential, but if a car has it, is it reliable or a source of problems? (I am just thinking of complexity = potential issues for the Italian car but maybe I am making bad assumptions)

- Bluetooth music streaming. I assume the only possibility for the non-Speciale 458 is to buy that adapter for the iPod cable? I use bluetooth streaming from Spotify a lot (love having CarPlay in my GT3), just love listening to music while on drives. Sure, I love to hear my NA 9k flat 6 and would love to hear the V8 but music from time to time is a big part of why I enjoy driving.

- Sticky button issue. Chuckling that this is an issue but I assume it will affect all 458s at some point and time where you just need to bite the bullet to have them refinished?

- AC blows cold? Really nit picky, ticky tack thing but I love the German engineering in my GT3 and how the AC can be strong and arctic cold. Someone on Rennlist mentioned that it would not be the same in the 458.... true?

- Must have options? An example IMO for the GT3 are buckets, PCCB, extended range fuel tank. I know Shields and LED steering wheel are very wanted and I can see why. The spec I am looking at has AFS/Lifter/carbon LED steering wheel/shields/hifi sound/electric seats/rear camera/ipod connection. But it doesn't have race seats (they are electric Daytona style seats) and it doesn't have parking sensors.

- Better for a car to be driven and have some miles on it or find lower mileage? I am thinking for the car to have some miles on it as maybe the driven examples could fare better to continue to be driven than one that has sat stagnant for awhile?

- If not much in the form of maintenance records - How much of a deal breaker would this be for you?

- Anything specific to check out/inquire on for the Ferrari 458? Coolant lines pinned (lol), any model specific issues or things to make sure that have been addressed/fixed/looked into? Repairs or recalls?

Thanks all!!

Sam

NevB likes this.
  2. Lifter is not necessary like it is on the GT3, at least on the 488.

Ask me how I know. :D

sampelligrino likes this.
  3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Currently own a Speciale and a 991.1 GT3.

The Ferrari will feel lot more fiesta and playful than the GT3, which is very planted.

458 are reliable but not as much as the GT3 (generally). Battery going flat is a likelihood if you don’t have a tendor or drive once a week. You can upgrade the battery to an aftermarket lithium for $1500 or so to alleviate this.

Other than small minor issues, the biggest ticket item is a failed DCT. 2012 and later will have a smaller chance, but this chance is tiny in general (doesn’t compare it to the 991.1 GT3 engine failures in terms of commonality). Of course your mileage may vary. My Speciale has yet to have a single issue. My GT3 engine blew up in the first 200 miles and I just had an engine mount fail today.

Must have options are generally Scuderia shields, forged wheels, and LED Steering Wheel. Highly desirable options are parking sensors, camera, horse stitched into headrest, and lifter. The rest is generally more divisive.

458 rides a higher than GT3, so lifter isn’t mandatory. With that said, I’ve scraped family sedans going in and out of some especially bad driveways, so I personally would never buy a car without the litter.

G. Pepper, Caeruleus11 and Viperjoe like this.
  4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks for chiming in, your comparison between the GT3 and 458 seems about spot on from what I've read. Will upgrading the battery prevent it from dying from the parasitic draw of the car? Maybe a dumb question. I would have 0 interest in upgrading to a lithium battery for the weight savings, just to keep the car powered as much as possible. Concerned as I travel about a week every month or two for work. Trickle charger not an option, so if I will return home to a dead car all the time timing might not work out well for me for that small reason.

Also this would be a car out of warranty which is a bit scary/a leap of faith as I intend to make it a driver's car...

5. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    You absolutely won’t regret it. I’ve had two GT3 (both 991) and there isn’t anything I miss about them. Not the sound, not the feel. Don’t get me wrong they’re great but I had the first one exhaust hanger / valve failure and the second one same issue except the infotainment system (PCM) also failed. Not to bash the car I loved them and put about 9k total miles on the two.

I’m local (LA) if you need anything let me know.

The 458 is not as fragile as older Ferrari’s and I certainly wouldn’t buy one without the following:

Nice to have:
    HiFi System
    Carbon Fiber rear grill (similar to the challenge grill)
    Nav (don’t use it, but looks nice )
    Sport exhaust tips (black out the normal silver color)

MUST Haves for me:
    Forged wheels (preferably in gunmetal)
    Lifter
    Carbon Fiber Goldrake Seats
    Carbon Fiber Racing Pack (includes all carbon pieces around the driver and paddle shifters in carbon)
    Front & Rear Parking sensors
    Backup Camera
    iPod cable (without it you’ll be screwed for audio streaming)
    Scuderia Shields
    LED steering wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    Oh and get a spider if you can. The sound is just that much better with a spider and the fact that it’s a convertible hard top makes it a huge bonus for Californians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Owned a lot of P-cars but none of them can compare to the feeling I get when driving my 458. I think you're move will be just 100% right if you 're looking for a higher sense of occasion.

- Battery maintainer. I live in a flat as well and I don't charge my battery but I drive it at least once a week. What you can do is upgrade the battery to a stronger aftermarket one = AGM battery.

- Lifter System. Had a 458 with the lifter and now one without the lifter and I am just fine without the lifter as the 458 sits so high of the ground. The one thing you need to be careful about is the fins on the back of the car which can dip to the ground of you're not careful going down a steep bump or so.

- Bluetooth music streaming. Make sure you have the ipod connector in the glovebox as you will not easily without going OEM and very costly bee able to have it retrofitted.

- Sticky button issue. Never had any issues with any of my 458:s with this but it also from what I've heard depends in the weather and that hot climate might accelerate the process. There are permanent fixes to this though.

- AC blows cold? You're correct but this is the first summer I've experienced the issue as we had over 35 celsius here in Sweden, but I would say it's decent enough, but not blowing as hard as an Audi or Porsche

- Must have options? These are the most desirable options on the second hand market: Forged wheels, Carbon fiber race seats, LED carbon fibre steering wheel, Carbon fibre dash, extended alcantara sorroundings, ipod connector, upgraded audio system, parking camera, if you can find one with the upgraded software (race pack I think it's called that recalibrated the sensors for the shocks and the DCT) that is a plus.

- Better for a car to be driven and have some miles on it or find lower mileage? Mostly cars driven frequently will have less issues.

- If not much in the form of maintenance records - Very important, if the service records don't check out 100% accurate and clean, then walk away from the car. You will have hard time to sell the car later if this is not in place

- Anything specific to check out/inquire on for the Ferrari 458? The DCT has been addressed but I've owned two early 458s from 2011 and had 0 issues with the DCT. I've had more problems with mu P-cars that any of the F-cars I've owned, as the 458 seems pretty bulletproof, I daily drive mine and done around 60 000 km in 2 years.
    Get the stronger AGM battery, that will release you from a lot of headache.
    Compared to any P-car 458 will squeak and make weird noises from the dash, roof, speakers etc and either you will have to live with it or you can get it tightened up once the time is up for servicing the car - that's the only negative thing I have to say about the car.

8. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    - Battery maintainer. I can't say if it is crucial, but I put mine on when I won't drive for a few days and I've never had a flat battery. I've also never had a flat battery when I forgot to put it on and it sat for 4-5 days.

- Lifter System. I don't have one and I've not scraped. I'm just careful about angles.

- Bluetooth music streaming. Yes, I have that adapter and it works fine. You often have to go into your phone's settings and disconnect and then reconnect it in bluetooth, but after that it works well and shows all the relevant info on your TFT.

- Sticky button issue. Mine is a 2012 and so far they are fine.

- AC blows cold? I've been plenty cool in mine on hot days.

- Must have options? I'll leave this up to others. I bought one with most of the options that I preferred, though now that I look at Ferraris far too often, my tastes might be changing toward carbon fiber.

- Better for a car to be driven and have some miles on it or find lower mileage? Mine is a 2012 and I bought it with 1,300 miles, which means it wasn't driven hardly at all. It was driven and serviced annually. I've not had a lick of problems with it.

- If not much in the form of maintenance records - How much of a deal breaker would this be for you? Wasn't for me at all, because I had a thorough PPI done and it only had 1,300 miles. I later found out where it was serviced and was able to confirm its service history, but this was after I bought it.

- Anything specific to check out/inquire on for the Ferrari 458? Coolant lines pinned (lol), any model specific issues or things to make sure that have been addressed/fixed/looked into? Repairs or recalls? Mine had an open airbag recall, but that was recently fixed by the dealership.

Good luck and enjoy the car!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    If the GT3 has the same fast but sterile feel as my 996 turbo had you won't ever take a second look at another souped up beetle once you've owned a Ferrari. It a very different experience in so many ways.

Ash Patel likes this.
  10. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Being a new owner and longtime Porsche owner, it was shown to me on my first day of ownership how to disconnect the battery located in the passenger footwell. I have a ski boat that we disconnect the battery when not being used. Saves the battery. Would this solve the slow discharge problem OP is concerned about?

11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    By the way, if you want a good indicator of how trouble-free the 458 is, do you notice how dull the 458 forum is compared to the rest of the model specific forums? In the other forums there are one after another after another thread of mechanical problems and people helping solve them. The great thing about these forums with the older cars is just about every problem has already been had and someone is willing to share their diagnosis and fix.

But in the 458/488 forum, the top 4 threads are always just people posting pictures! And then the next threads are always just people talking about what car they're ordering next. It's incredibly boring here in the 458 forum if you're someone into the mechanicals of the car.

tlow888, Caeruleus11 and Viperjoe like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Great responses. The only thing I can add is regarding the AC, I find it works well. You might want to find a car with the heat insulating windscreen- this helps reduce the heat into the car. I am told from a friend who didn't have this that my car (I have it) felt like the AC system worked better. Its the same AC system. I just have the windscreen.

14. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And people arguing about which is better: the 458 or the 488. ;)

Viperjoe and iloveferrari like this.
  15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Great responses by everyone so far, thanks all for chiming in really appreciate it.

I'm tentative/nervous about switching out of a brand new car into one that is out of warranty but feeling a bit better about the potential move. I told the seller I'd like a PPI done since the car is not certified pre owned and is being offered for sale by a small dealer who's buddy is the car owner, he said it's done all the required annual services per the maintenance pack with no issues or concerns and should be able to get those records from Ferrari. We will look at getting the PPI done next week, I already took a look at a body shop online nearby and it has a ton of 5 star reviews on Google/looks like a trustworthy place. Dealer highly recommends it as well FWIW, I don't think he is out to get me but we will see. I will call to speak with the guys there as well on the phone. The car is a 2014 Italia with over 10k miles, no modifications other than a Capristo valve controller, had a scratch on the right rear bumper that had to be touched up but not on the CarFax (it's clean). Keeping the car secret (for now) so no one jumps in front of me heh but we will see if this fits the bill. Not in any rush by any means and I still adore my GT3, but maybe a switch could be good fun especially since I love the 458 looks. I still worry about the battery and if the car will be an issue if it isn't driven for a week every month or two when I travel, but will also ask the PPI guys for their take.

In any case thanks again everyone for the input and keep it coming if you feel there is anything I should be aware of new to the Ferrari brand/458

16. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    If it's a 2014 it still has 2 years left of the Ferrari 7 year covered maintenance plan. There's no reason it shouldn't have been serviced by a real Ferrari dealer and you should be able to easily get those records.

17. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If possible, I'd recommend you find a reputable and experienced Ferrari independent.

18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #18 iloveferrari, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Had two GT3 (.1 and .2) and GT4. I agree with others that I don't think the Porsche GT cars are much more reliable than the 458.

First and foremost, the cheapest Ferrari is often the most expensive, as most seasoned Fchatters would preach. Second, I think buying a CPO from a F dealer is strongly encouraged for the first time buyer. Third, most owners like it stock when buying used...

Unless you are planning to keep this specific Ferrari forever, I think based on what you wrote about this particular car, I probably will make sure to look at more cars for comparison. Local body shop for repair, so many "he said" and "we will see" and "buddy of the car owner" selling the car... and 10K mile is considered A LOT when purchasing used. You will likely have hard time reselling it later if you want to.

I don't think keeping the car secret is that helpful, because you will never know, someone ought to know about the car history and that may save you a lot of money down the road.

Try preowned.ferrari.com

Yes, battery tender is a must, unfortunately.

19. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    I have been a Porsche owner for many years and many different Porsches.....everything from air cooled to my latest..a 997.2 turbo with PDK....I purchased my first Ferrari...a 2015 Spider with 5500 miles ...in April 2018. The 458 is a completely different car from my 997.2 turbo. The NA engine....especially with the top down is incredible. The fit/finish/leather is just beautiful. The 458 gets a lot of attention....much more than the Porsche. IMO the 458 is the most beautiful car that I have ever seen....
    I did trade my 997.2 turbo for a 2018 GT3 Touring....now on its way from Germany....I cannot wait to compare the two....

20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    You have great advice. The problem is my ideal spec is very very rare/not common and this just about fits the bill, the only issue is I agree the seller is not as meticulous/attentive to detail as I am and most of us are who buy or look at cars in these price ranges. I do plan on keeping this 458 for awhile because I don't see myself upgrading to the 488 or hybrid V8 series coming out in quite some time (if at all). Mind if I PM you the link to the car?

21. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    The mechanic/place I've found is an experienced Ferrari independent shop with really outstanding reviews so I feel comfortable having them do the PPI next week - totally agree with you

cavsct94 likes this.
  22. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Also seems like a lot of the guys on here went from Pcar to Fcar, since I am considering the same move and unfortunately can't keep my GT3 and just add the 458 in - did you guys have any regrets letting your Pcar go for the Ferrari? We all know how the Porsche does so many things well but maybe doesn't tug at the heart strings emotionally, and the Ferraris do that very well.

23. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The Pcar's a better beater. Can't bring myself to drive my Ferrari in the rain or anywhere I'll worry about it.

Viperjoe and sampelligrino like this.
  24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I have 991.1 and 991.2 GT3, and also Italia and Speciale. The Porsches are rock-solid drama-free teutonic track scalpels that are dependable and don't draw too much public attention. The Ferraris are lightweight go-cart feel drama queens that are gorgeous beyond believe and of course draw the attention. If possible, best to have one of each, as you can drive whatever you feel like on that particular day!

boogie, sampelligrino and NevB like this.
  25. NevB

NevB Rookie

Dec 18, 2004
    #25 NevB, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    I'm here for the same reason. I've been mumbling about owning an Fcar for decades now, currently driving a 991.2 GT3 6MT after a long line of Pcars, but thinking maybe now is the time ...