Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Well you see what happens when Vettel faces pressure or are you that blind LOL :)

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think #2 is "to not get carried away and learn from Sebastian!", meaning don't try and learn anything from Seb!:D Of course this year is learn everything Vettel did wrong and don't repeat it.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

lol

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That’s a great article, I’m looking forward to Charles next year, hope he proves worthy of the faith we all have in him

5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    ATBNM3, stavura, jcurry and 2 others like this.
  6. DF1

Oh Max LOL - try this on Mr Push people around and lose races LOL :) I keep reading how Max needs to refine the rough edges. Sorry but is far beyond rookie status. With 4+ years in the sport he should have lost some of them already. Refreshing article on Charles. Of note below--

--Even on the first lap of a Grand Prix, generally starting from within the precarious midfield, Leclerc usually comes out unscathed and moves up a position or two. This is not luck and highlights a driver that is in control of their emotions, anticipating others and has ample mental capacity spare.--

william and daytona355 like this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    No doubt Leclerc is (very) good, but I think there has been a trend to underrate Vettel recently.
    Vettel initially won with a second-tier Toro Rosso (making the best of rain that lowered the advantage of the better cars), and his "failure" with Ferrari has been mainly rooted in the poor team management he had to cope with.
    In the end the car and the team are more important than the driver nowadays, for decades we have not seen a driver - no matter how good - winning without having the best car.

8. DF1

Vettel made poor choices on the opening lap too often. That is not the team at work there. Its the pilot in the cockpit. He lacked patience in a fast car at very critical moments. He utterly failed to make use of a fast machine provided to him and in a consistent manner. He is over rated given the last 2 yrs of consistent bad moves/actions under pressure. Baku hitting LH should have yielded a multi race ban. 4 titles......and then pulls that.

Lack of emotional control and poor strategic thought. He has clearly earned the over rated title in my book. He ran from Ricci at Red Bull. He didnt stay and challenge him the next year. Ricci exposed Vettel badly. I rate Rosberg higher than Vettel with just his 1 title. Rosberg is the far smarter driver.

ingegnere and william like this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Rosberg deserves the credit to beat Hamilton who was the preferred team driver, but he might have made the effort because he was in the best team with the best car and he could win the title. On the other hand when Vettel was confronted to Ricciardo, they had not the best car anymore so there was not the same incentive to fight.

10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You know Max has won this year in the Redbull right?

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A race or 2 maybe, but not a championship.

12. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Ferrari won the constructors championship in 2008, therefore i would say Ham won without the best car.

william likes this.
  13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The burning questions for 2019 are this relationship of Seb and Chuck, and the Red Bull Honda hook-up.

375+ likes this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Chuck? I think that gets lost in translation. Charlie or Chas maybe?

Jeronimo GTO and tifoso2728 like this.
  15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I like Chuck. When he's down because of Seb's antics, we can say, get up Chuck! lol

stavura, Jeronimo GTO, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  16. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Or, "What up Chuck". Sorry if I regurgitated your same thought.

375+ likes this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #268 375+, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Mods? This post warrants a 3 day ban--makes me sick to my stomach.

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So winning the WCC means that you have the best car... so you say the Mercedes was the best car this and last year ;)

19. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That’s too much logic for the forum Peter, you aren’t supposed to be clever enough to remember that they use the opposite argument to justify themselves 50% of the time.... I wonder what excuse will happen now to justify why despite winning the WCC, the Mercedes was in fact inferior to the Ferraris and Reb Bulls for the last five years, only getting all titles available in those five years due to the god behind the wheel!

fil and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

To me, the burning question is what Charles Leclerc will do in 2019.
    He will now drive one of the best F1 on the grid, and be de facto among the top 5 contenders. (with Hamilton, Bottas, Vettel and Verstappen)
    That's completely different from being in the middle of the pack, driving an average car for a Customer team.
    I am curious to see how he will deal with Verstappen's aggression, for example.

jgonzalesm6 and tifoso2728 like this.
  21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Right on.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Vettel is only good when he has/had the superior car where he starts from pole position and
    can streak off to a healthy lead out of the reach of DRS and can then manage the race.

When Vettel starts from second or third row, its not so easy and he gets flustered far too
    quickly then loses his edge.

As the article points out, Leclerc has a lot of poise (perhaps far beyond his years) and once
    he gets the feel of the Ferrari under him, will be an instant contender. We may only hope
    that Ferrari management on the pit wall is better next year so they don't screw both drivers
    with their indecisive strategies.

The pre-season testing times should be interesting to watch.

BHW

william likes this.
  23. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Mclaren won the constructors many years for Senna, and he is labeled a true champion. Ferrari won the constructors with Shumi multiple years, and he is labeled a true champion. So don't change the rules when Lewis does it with Mercedes. But my point was Ham can win without the best car as well, been there done that in 2008.

william likes this.
  24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I do not change anything...YOU came up with the single sentence that not winning the WCC causally means that you do not have the best car (your take on 2008). So this mean that Mercedes had the best car this and last year by your own logic. I do not know how this has anything to do with Senna or Schumacher other than you want to detract again... So you say Lewis had the better car this year and not Vettel...period, nothing to add

sammysaber likes this.