Re-Spray of 2003 Silver 360 Modena Front Bumper | FerrariChat

Re-Spray of 2003 Silver 360 Modena Front Bumper

Discussion in '360/430' started by Neilg, Nov 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Am considering removing the front bumper to take it to a paint shop for a re-spray due to multiple pits from stone chips, parking lot curb rash on bottom portion. Car is Argento Nürburgring (Silver) - PPG paint. Does anyone see any pitfalls with this approach? Am considering taking it to a local factory authorized Toyota Collision center here in So. Md. with a good reputation as the paint match I do not think should be a problem - thoughts?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Neil, it can be difficult to match, especially metallic which is what you have. To do it right, the paint shop should do spray out panels and tint as needed to get the best match possible. Even so, you still may see a slight difference.

In most cases, shops will blend to avoid this.

carnutdallas likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sounds like a plan although not sure what significance of toyota approved matters - that says nothing about the quality of a shop. in fact i wld argue it's a negative.

if nothing local there must be some decent shops in southern NJ and if not then classic coach

4. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks - I am in the DC area - does anyone know of a reputable shop here, and also what could one expect to pay? I really prefer to bring only the bumper not the entire car so thinking they can do a pretty good match as the bumper is exact same shade as the car anyways - for this PPG paint code, sounds like it is not as simple as opening the can and spraying, i.e. there is some trial and error involved with trying to get the color match? What does the tinting process involve? I know with the lower bumper scuff from a raised curb it will need some minor sanding as well as the multiple paint chips in the vicinity of where the front license plate would be mounted -

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's frustrating as yes, you would think using the same code would yield exact results but it often does not. Just start by asking the shop to spray out the code on test panels and then see how they match.

carnutdallas likes this.
  6. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Dave, thanks - so no issue with bringing only the front bumper it sounds like, but definitely trial and error with regards to tinting and blending to get the exact (or as close to exact) shade of paint - out of curiosity what do they add to the paint to tint and blend the paint shade?

Evad likes this.
  7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Tinting alters the color shade. Blending is totally different. That would require spraying color on adjacent panels.

Just go to the shop and ask they to do a spray out panel for you. If they don't want to and you are willing to buy a small amount of paint, send it to me and I'll shoot a panel for you.

Caphill likes this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I would not bring just the bumper, because you want the respray to match the rest of the car. With the passage of time and exposure to the elements, the color of the rest of the car won’t be the same as it used to be. So without the rest of the car as a reference or to blend, the likelihood of a good match is low. Also, even for the same color when new, each car varies a bit because the look of metallics changes with even small differences in spray conditions.

As for a good shop, why not call Dan Short at Fantomworks in Norfolk and ask who he would recommend closer to home?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Thanks for the replies - good information! Will also reach out to Dan Short - Norfolk is approx. 75 miles or so from here...

10. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Neil, I had my bumper repainted on my F430 last year due to rock chips and scrapes on the bottom of the bumper. A friend of mine removed the bumper for me and I took just the bumper to the paint shop. It was a easy re-spray for me because my bumper is Red(Rosso Corsa). I used a paint shop that does a lot of custom paint work for specialty cars. The shop is HRE Automotive,7943 Penn-Randall Place,Upper Marlboro,Md.( Route 4 and the beltway). The manager of the shop(Rob) will take care of you.

carnutdallas likes this.
  11. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    You could take your car to a paint shop that has a color spectrophotometer and let them test which manufacturer that has the best color match (it might not be PPG).

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  12. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Mike - thanks! By chance do you recall approx what you paid? Am trying to get a ballpark estimate as to how much to pay...

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    A paint camera is not needed as he has the code. Those only get you in the ballpark.

Neil, to do the job proper and fix any underside scuffs will cost approx $1500-$2000

14. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I just checked my Grigio Silverstone at the local paint shop prior bumper repaint and the spectrophotometer manufacturer database
    proposed a different manufacturer than PPG, to get the best match.

15. Neilg

Neilg Karting

Feb 16, 2001
    Accokeek, Md.
    Full Name:
    Neil Green
    Interesting - perhaps PPG may not be the best match will have the shop make the decision - was figuring on that cost range if $1500-$2000 - one shop quoted me between $4000-$6000 said no way should not be that costly....

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Silver metallic is one of the most difficult to match. You see non exotics all the time with a fender or door that stands out like a sore thumb from a shop who did not match properly or blend.

Spay outs are the only why to get it as close as possible without blending.

Neil, if the bumper matches the car now, you can just take the bumper and the shop can do the spray outs on the bumper before they sand it. So, they would get the color right, then prep and paint the bumper.

Rs200tez and Kevin Rev'n like this.
  17. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I'm aware. One of my other hobby cars are silver metallic, also did the spectrophotometer prior bumper paint. Painter then tested several brands, the spectrophotometer suggestion was the closest.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The 360 was painted with PPG. Assuming the bumper has not been sprayed prior, I don't see any reason to not use PPG to get the best match. I don't know if that code has variants, but that might add to the mix (no pun intended)

Any pro will tell you that the cameras only get you so close.

19. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    In 2003, was Ferrari and PPG using the exact same ingredients as in todays waterborne paint?
    Or has, for example, the solvents changed since 2003?

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, resins change over the years and one of the factors that cause same codes to not match. I don't know enough about PPG but Glasurit, for example, is still available in solvent based. Most pros would select solvent over waterborne when possible.

carnutdallas likes this.
  21. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Solvent based is sometimes not easy to get in EU countrys, due to environmental and health laws. Pros work with waterborne paint here.
    Might differ to US.

Anyway, just because it was painted with PPG in 2003, does not mean you would get the best match today using PPG, right?
    So it could be wise to try out other brands, for best match?

22. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #22 unreelviper, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Neil, I paid $1100 for the respray, of course that was me taking the bumper off myself and taking it to them. I don't know if your respray will be as easy as mine since you have a metallic color that might have to be blended into your other paint.

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here are some videos:

INRange likes this.
  24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I see no reason to not use the same paint. This is why it's common practice to do spray outs and tint as needed. In the US, waterborne is being pushed too. What we do is very different and very small volume to automotive exterior so I'm not as familiar with the regulations those guys have to deal with. Keep in mind, spraying 3 oz or less is legal on the shop floor. We spray 100% in our spray booth.

25. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Lets agree on the fact that it's very hard to get a perfect match, especially when the material differs (steel, plastic, glassfiber etc).
    My bumpers and side skirts are not a perfect match even if it's factory, so it hopefully can't get any worse after my spectrophotometer repaint :)