mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 59 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    OK, JM2!!! If you tell us I promise to take you to the GM Heritage Museum in January when we go!!! It is super cool!! You may have seen some of the collection already but it is always worth going again. I will also take you next door to the logistics building that handles the GM show cars.

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Thanks, but I had an extensive working relationship with the Heritage Center.
    Spent many hours there.
    It’s a long story not worth going through now, but thanks.:)

of2worlds likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    You guys need to realize that John only takes 'incentives' in Bitcoins. :cool:

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Pizza or gold boullion works as well.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    And now for something completely different:
    https://vintageracecar.com/has-innovative-sports-car-design-reached-a-zenith/

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Has Innovative Sports Car Design Reached a Zenith?
    Raffi Minasian" rel="author" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: inherit; color: rgb(25, 35, 45); transition: all 0.4s ease-in-out;">

A few weeks ago McLaren released their new sports car to the public. It’s not fair to really call it a sports car anymore. Sports cars have radically changed since the term first classified these vehicles as lightweight steeds with agile road handling capabilities and spirited performance, more than 60 years ago. These charming cars were surely capable, but quickly gave way to the term Supercar in the late ’60s and early 1970s, when Lamborghini and Ferrari ignited a battle over top speed, cornering power and exclusive pricing. The press loved it, kids argued over it, and enthusiasts dreamed of owning a Supercar. Today, the term Hypercar has become the new buzzword around the top performance offering. This vaulted status encompasses the exclusivity, seven-figure pricing, limited production, and is generally offered in a superlative engineering and design package seemingly lifted from a science fiction movie plot.

The new McLaren Speedtail is all this and more. Hyper priced and performance packed, all 106 of the dedicated production models were instantly spoken for by elite clientele, eager to relieve themselves of $2.25 million for the privilege. Remarkably, the Speedtail manages to unleash a whopping 1,035 horsepower and the capacity to produce 250 mph top speeds, with 0 -186 mph achievable in 12.8 seconds.

The Speedtail is also environmentally friendly, using a gas-electric powertrain, which is docile enough to carry driver and two passengers for jaunts to the grocery store—assuming multi-millionaires actually do their own grocery shopping, complete with two-person accompaniment. The unusual, triangular three-occupant delta seating arrangement encourages unique conversational dynamics between passengers and driver, inviting an angled exterior view for passengers and a direct F1 inspired central seat for the driver – all this happening at four times the national speed limit.

Further technology drapes the wonderfully conceived design including flexible carbon fiber rear tail ailerons that compliantly bend to adjust the rear edge of the car, moderating down force at top speeds. Clearly the car has been developed with aerodynamic focus, incorporating multi-purpose surfacing, complex intake and air management sculpture, and specialized wheel covers. The Speedtail is a tour de force of design and engineering excellence. But the first time I saw it, I wondered where I had seen it before. Why is the overall design so familiar and surprisingly typical?

Corvette Indy Concept

In 1986, General Motors unleashed the beautifully conceived Corvette Indy Show Car. This mid-engine 600 hp concept car was later developed into more refined versions of the initial concept penned by young Tom Peters (GM Lifetime Achievement Award recipient and veteran of Corvette and Advanced Studios Design) working with Jerry Palmer and other highly talented fabricators and engineers. The resultant design evolved into the Cerv III, named in homage to the early CERV I and II concepts, developed under legendary Zora Duntov.

CERV III

These cars, both in conceptual terms and as inspirations for GM production cars and a wide range of other auto makers, inspired a revolution of sinewy, fluid, organic body designs innovated by a handful of talented designers at General Motors. And while many of these talented designers may never be specifically named for their exceptional work during this renaissance of sports car design in, of all times, the 1980s, it is wholly appropriate to review the comparisons between the ground breaking Corvette Indy Show Car, Cerv III and, more than 30 years later, the all new 2019 McLaren Speedtail.

The Corvette Indy was conceived when the IBM PC was only five years old, the Apple Mac just two years on the market, Nintendo gaming was brand new, and autofocus cameras using rolls of film were considered leading technology. The car industry was only beginning to experiment with computerized systems and drive mechanisms, hybrid cars were dreams of the future, and the very first Japanese Luxury Sedans were just on the horizon. So when GM unveiled the outrageous Indy Show Car, the gauntlet of design was thrown down to anyone watching. Three decades later, McLaren paid close attention and released the Speedtail. Both cars share tapered tails, elongated shapes exceeding contemporary sedan dimensions, low jet-fighter inspired rooflines, mid-engine designs, flat surfaced wheel covers, and a generally similar vehicle architecture both in the upper glass area, tumblehome, and overall surface development. The Indy, like the modern Speedtail, was loaded with technological innovations like GPS navigation, electronic throttle control, selectable all-wheel steering, and Lotus derived active suspension with microprocessor-controlled hydraulics to aid in precision wheel positioning and power delivery (an early version of active ride control). Even the scissor doors are similarly designed, though McLaren opens the roof section as well.

Comparative views of the McLaren Speedtail and the Corvette Indy

The striking similarity between these two designs, and the years that separate their execution, begs the question – Have we reached a sports car zenith of design? I believe so. But it is not because of universal technology, advanced aerodynamics, or preferred practices in computer-aided design. Rather it has more to do with our growing hesitation to build expensive objects, at great risk, coupled with unique visual signature. McLaren cannot afford to take the kind of risks that GM can with their concept cars. McLaren clientele want a car that is visually similar to other cars on the road today, laced with hints of innovation and dripping with bespoke materials. It is, after all, a $2 million dollar toy. If it strays too far from accepted visual icons of modern sports car ideals, wealthy people will not be be willing to take the risk on a visually challenging design.

As prices rise on these exceptional hypercars and demand for the exclusivity continues to pervade the highest levels of the marketplace, there will always be a place for a highly expensive exotic car. But until a company is willing to take a big leap of faith and gamble on truly unique visual architecture, radical surfacing, and ground breaking engineering, we will have to limit our delight to conceptual reboots of beautifully conceived designs as variations of greater conceptual risks from decades ago.

6. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^ Along these lines, there was an article in Journal of Classic Cars earlier this week that McLaren has just released the first test mule completely undisguised and nicknamed it "Albert" that will be seen on the public roads. Quite a paint job!

https://journal.classiccars.com/2018/11/11/mclaren-launches-albert-the-first-speedtail-test-mule/?brand=journal&utm_campaign=20181112&utm_content=20181112_ds_advertorial__featured_dealer_with_logo_inventory&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zaius

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The guy who was "the dumper" in the Corvette forum admits now he was a troll.

Why do people do these things?

rdefabri and of2worlds like this.
  8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Attention. People here do the same thing, especially in P&R.

rdefabri likes this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Bite your tongue! :)

of2worlds and joker57676 like this.
  10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Now he's back (on CF) saying the same stuff except the part about him actually riding in one.
    I wish I knew why folks crave attention from other folks they don't know and never will.

jm2 likes this.
  11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Everybody cheats the side intakes because they can't believe they are that ugly.

JV's89 likes this.
  13. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    That too, but there are some saying the camo'd cars have an extra piece of material to hide their true shape. I hope they're right, because those intakes look so out of place it's ridiculous. We'll see.

rdefabri and JV's89 like this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    With a plastic car it's pretty easy to change out the entire quarter panel. But you would think this would effect the aero and cooling so its pretty crazy if they are actually doing this.

My hunch is they are not.

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The flat surfaces on the rear deck are god awful looking. I would hope that is not close, but fear it is. The above render looks good for 10 years ago, but uninspired for today.

This thing may turn out looking like an original NSX, tweaked.

rdefabri likes this.
  16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I don’t think it will look as good as the original NSX, which to me is well done.

I think there’s a lot of truth in the article about design posted above - no willingness to take a risk has resulted in a derivative design that’s a hodge podge of previous cars.

My opinion is GM blew it - as usual - being too conservative. I think the Alfa 4C and the Lotus Elise are good examples of trying to create a moving design while not going too crazy, but GM could have really did something special here.

Don’t blame them per se, and many here called it, but definitely a miss IMHO.

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't think GM is going to blow this one. We have to have a little faith. This car is going to be the new hero car. An exotic car for the working man to aspire to, save up, and one day own.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Latest render on CF. While I don’t think it will look like this, it’s an example of a derivative style that still looks good, something I hope GM can achieve.

19. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I want to get a can of red spray paint and paint that ugly black banana on the side soooooo bad!:eek:

rdefabri likes this.
  20. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Yeah, drawing attention to the awful intakes in not a recipe for success.

21. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Nose is still too pointy.
    And I seriously doubt the black banana will be on the car.
    Or they could take a page out of the Porsche playbook and keep the black banana and charge $2K to paint it body color!!!!

rdefabri and energy88 like this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1473 TheMayor, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This probably makes the most sense. People who have actually seen it say the side looks like LaFerrari. This is pretty close to that.

I hope with all the renders on the Vette forum when they actually see the real car they aren't disappointed.

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yea I’ve heard that - this render looks pretty cool. A bit 360-ish, a little LaFerrari, but nice.

I don’t think it will be this shapely. I suspect more hard edges / creases and a square look.

We’ll see!!

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is the best looking render so far. If they do the CF scoop like that they mirror a lot of what McLaren is doing.

IMO, it's still a bit "odd".

I know LaFerrari was pretty controversial when it came out (so was the Enzo for that matter and the F50 and the F40) but its design is really quite nice now that we are more comfortable with it. Car design has to have some edge or it gets old really fast. There needs to be some part or style that that is specific to that vehicle that no others have. Something that is still unique even if others copy it.

I think LaFerrari did that.

BTW: I really hate the chicken feet wheels they put on that render. Hope they don't do that in the real Vette.