458 values/trends | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 values/trends

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joe P., Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Or just don't sell. Depreciation problems solved in an perpetual fashion!

Me smart. :p

2. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's my plan! Hope I can stick to it.

Melvok likes this.
  3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Hehe, tell me about it

4. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I just bought my 2014 458 Spider at what I believe to be a below market price. That being said it had 6450 miles on it, and I plan on driving it as much as possible. Screw depreciation, these cars were meant to be driven and enjoyed!

Penguin, buddyg, xfrgtr and 2 others like this.
  5. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'm with Nuno. Want to by a NA V12 to go with my 458. Great combination.....

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, you don’t “lose” anything unless and until you sell!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Folks in the market for 458's are also shopping Lambo's and Porsche's etc. at the same time. There is an unlimited supply of $200K+ sports cars for sale. Don't kid yourselves.

TheDiffuser and Motorwerks like this.
  8. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I have to disagree with you on this one, at least for me this is 100% not true. I was just in the market for a 458, and never even considered a Lamborghini, nor a Porsche nor an R8. For me it was all about finding the right Ferrari for me, and the 458 checked off all the boxes. It’s too bad because I would have saved a ton of money if I had gotten one of those.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Which do you like more?

Sent from my 16M

10. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    John, do you mind sharing +/- what you paid? at least what you consider "market" and the magnitude (ish) of how much below you landed? I think that would be helpful to potential buyers at least at this moment of time....

Thanks and enjoy your car!!

11. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I would rather not discuss what I paid for my car, however given what I have seen comparable cars sell for with similar miles (5000 - 7000 miles), the market seems to be around $220,000-$230,000, at least those are the asking prices. Mine was significantly lower than that and also had the added benefit of a built in K40 radar detector which saved me another couple thousand.

12. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Market pricing is subjective - these are asking prices from sellers and dealers. Not at all reality nor reflective of actual sales prices. Aside from the obvious things such as color and options - conditions, mileage, history and if sold by a dealer whether it was certified would dictate what the final sales/purchase prices are. In the bay area, a 2014 458 spider with 7500 miles would ask for somewhere between $200-$220K and actual sales prices would be somewhere within that range. A suggestion that someone paid below market is ludicrous - no willing seller would ever sell below what he thought the market was. So he would say that he sold at "market." The reverse would be true for the buyer - who would not want to pay above market. The simple reality is that the 458 is an older - not debating whether you like NA (by the way, if you want to say the high value associated with the last NA, that would be more appropriate for the 812) and don't like turbos. The 458 was superseded by the 488, and there will be a replacement for that car. And depreciation will affect all cars and to suggest that a 458 has slower depreciation just doesn't have any merit. The 458 today is a second/third/and possibly a fourth owner car so prices will stabilize as there will be less sellers. The 488 will continue to depreciate with the passage of time as well as the forthcoming replacement car. In time, the 488 will become and second/third/fourth owner car and then the prices of that car will stabilize. All is good if the owner thinks that he paid below market value as likely the seller is feeling that he sold at or above market. In the end and what is important is that the buyer got the car he wanted at the price he wanted and the seller sold the car and likely moved onto another car that he wanted.

eskanday, MANDALAY and LVP488 like this.
  13. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Fact is, there are many alternatives to Ferrari that were not there say 10-15 years ago. Other marques have gotten better, more reliable, don't play dealer games, better or comparable performance, and quite frankly, the overall interest in supercars has diminished with a new upcoming generation. These cars will continue to depreciate at rates not typical for the "Ferrari of the 80s and 90s".

Subjectively, you may 100% prefer Ferrari; but objectively, there are other comparable products, some much better, some nearly as good.

eskanday likes this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    In Europe, 458 prices seem to be very stabel, not getting down !

Good sign imo :)

15. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    Nothing is the same as a Ferrari. I couldn’t care less about depreciation, I’m happy with my purchase and the seller had a higher and better use for the capital he had tied up in this car, thus why I got it at the price I did. Damn I do love this car.

MANDALAY likes this.
  16. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Again, "Nothing is the same as a Ferrari" is a subjective quote...not an objective one. Some will say "xyz is better than a Ferrari". Still others may say, "xyz isn't as good as a Ferrari". All opinions obviously. Stating that folks shopping for Ferraris are 100% not considering other marques is a bit obtuse.

17. rcgalore

rcgalore Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2014
    San Juan, PR
    Agree 100%

18. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Sometimes iam thinking to sell my 458.Later iam looking in my garage and i know ,i Never sell it.it Looks too good.
    My doughter can sell it in 30 years for 400k .

19. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    Not sure what it will be worth in 30 years, but I agree, I can’t see myself parting ways with my 458 Spider anytime soon.

bball16 likes this.
  20. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    This is my situation, as I have been cross shopping between a Lamborghini Huracan and 458 for some time now. I have an older Ferrari and felt having another Marque would be a great idea. However, I always felt when the Italia prices dropped below 200K that it would also be in my radar.

y

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 458 will clearly continue to depreciate as has the 430. The model that will see the steepest depreciation will be the 488. When the replacement appears, 488s will flood the used market. The 458 was slower to lose value because it was the last of the NA engines. There will not be any qualities inherent to the 488 that will be viewed as anything other than outdated.

LordVader458, dustman and xfrgtr like this.
  22. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    Although I tend to agree with this statement, if the rumors are true and the 488 replacement is indeed a hybrid, the the 488 may be the last of the all gasoline powered mid-engine Ferrari’s which could help it had its value much like the last of the NA engines helped the 458hold its value better.

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i think the overweighting factor here will be production numbers. higher production does not bode well even if its a "last of" story. look at the smallish premium of stick cars over f1 siblings. Now imagine if there were 5k units in the "last of"

i mean it might take 40 years for people to care....

24. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    It is all about production numbers, I agree. However, I would not say a $50k (or more) premium for a 430 stick over an F1 car is smallish when you consider a nice F1 Spider is about $110-$120 and a stick is $50k higher.

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    right but i think the more relevant point is even with the premium those cars dont trade at sticker, or even close whereas a low mile CS trades above sticker.