Detailed my 308 and took her for a quick spin | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Detailed my 308 and took her for a quick spin

Discussion in '308/328' started by Oengus, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

thanks boys, much appreciated!!

2. jkfuller

jkfuller Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Sioux Falls
    Full Name:
    James Fuller
    I’m hoping for some warmer weather this weekend to take my 308 GT4 out one last time for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Maybe you all missed my point: Chas doesn't need any paper to enjoy the car. The paint sticker at first sight looks as old as the car. But you don't have to think "don't waste 500 bucks in a useless thing": that's an investment and not a loss. And a pleasure to have: that's for me. Yes, we are all different so opinions are different too!

You don't need to have original tool bag, tool roll, owner's pouch, warranty book, Schedoni luggage set and so on. You don't need an official statement too: but once you got one, trust me it's very nice to have it. And then, if one day anyone that thinks to be an expert will ask you "why there is azzurro on the paint sticker if the color is blue?", you can take out your official paper and tell the whole story of the paint sticker guy at Scaglietti plant that did a mistake: he will stop to ask why and will listen to your story in silence. Priceless.

This is my experience.

Ciao

Hannibal308 likes this.
  4. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    I love when discussion enters into Blues ;-)
    Mine 'lost' the paint sticker some time ago. I believe she carries original color still, and I believe she is 'Blue Acapulco'
    Here some photos. You can see how she changes shades with sun light
    So what do you think? is she Acapulco?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    it's very hard to judge in picture: It looks (to me) a bit too brilliant to be Acapulco. I would say more Sera (or Dino) than Acapulco

ciao

JuLiTrO likes this.
  6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    €500.00 for a build sheet. What a ripp-off.
    This whole Classiche thing is a complete ripp-off as well. I'm really happy, that the spare parts headquarter for ours and other older cars stayed in the UK and didn't return to Italy after this Classiche BS was launched. Otherwise I think many of us couldn't afford the tiniest spare parts any more. €300.00 for one cambelt or what?
    Though the business would probably continue working anyway, as long as there are folks out there, who are willing to pay several hundreds for indian scrap metal (wrenches).

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Martin, who stated you that your (and mine) 308 GTB is not an injected car refitted with a drysump engine but is a precious postproduction carbed car?

Who stated that my last but one 308 drysump has the OEM engine despite having and engine number 40 units less than your one and was factory Painted in blu sera despite i got it in red?

I have to thank Ferrari Classiche for this service: I paid 3 k, but I'm happy to have done it.

And then there isn't anything cheap at Ferrari: they ask you 10 k for a three layers paint...

ciao

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Alberto,

Clear answer: Pre Classiche Assistenza Technica for free.

€100.00 would be acceptable for me for such a scrap of paper, though there were times, it was for free like mine.
    €500.00 is rip-off.

And a three layers paint job is perfectly possible at a myriad of good paint shops for much less than 10k.
    Still not 'cheap', but 'reasonably priced'.

But each to his own.

Best from Germany
    Martin

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not PPG in 1982, Alberto; but Glasurit.
    PPG came after Glasurit, during the f355 production. For some months, F355 on the production line were painted either in Glasurit or in PPG paints.
    Rgds

10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Great looking car. Thanks for posting.

For what it's worth, I know of an Azzuro blu 308 QV and it's pretty light blue, what I would call "Robin's egg blue".

-F

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You are right: my mistake!

Thank you for the correction

ciao

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh, I had not the slightest doubt that you knew about Glasurit for the 1980's Ferraris....and that the confusion just slipped through your mind.
    It's just because with the Internet, things need to be correct! If not, who knows, perhaps in six months from now everybody will be writing that PPG was the paint provider for the 1980s Ferraris...

Rgds
    If a QV, and a "factory" color, then it is Glasurit "Azzuro Met".
    Always keep in mind that what makes checking the Ferrari paints difficult is that, with the change of paint providers (Glidden/Glidden Salchi, then Glasurit, then PPG...) a color having the same name might actually be somewhat different from one manufacturer to another...it might also be the same; and two different color names might actually refer to the same color in shade and hue.

Then you also have funny contradictions, for instance the "standard red" for the early carbed cars, with Glidden/Glidden Salchi paint was "Rosso Chiaro", a name which litterally means "light red", but is actually slightly darker than its follow up at Glasurit, "Rosso Corsa"...the "Blu Chiaro" of Glasurit, which is actually rather dark, etc...

These colors were not, to the best of my knowledge, identified in an acknowledged standard for color identification, such as the Munsell; or if they are, I am not aware of it; pity, because it would make identification much easier...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsell_color_system

A very interesting topic indeed.

Rgds

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I agree that they are out of mind prices, as it happens for everything that has a pracing horse on it or it's something that comes from the pracing horse Factory. But that is also the reason why our old cars value is so high and if you sell an old OEM 308 QV mirror you can ask 500 bucks or even 2000 if you are selling a couple of front turn signal 328 lights...

In any case, nobody is forced to buy anything from Ferrari: nor papers, nor cars, nor options, but who wants can have a good service, even if very expensive.

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ok, I don't know why I wrote PPG: they are all Glasurit. Here my 1983 paint sticker: Glasurit, of course.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Alberto,

and this is -like I already wrote- why I'm glad, that the spare parts are still relatively reasonably priced. At least the usual maintenance stuff. I'm quite sure, this would significantly change too, if the spare parts department would go back from the UK to Italy. As well as the easy and straightforward purchase procedure with ultra fast shipping within Europe.

I'm glad, that Maranello Concessionaires/Ferrari UK/Sytner was able to keep the spare parts after their huge financial input into infrastructure and logistics back in 1998 (?) though there have been intentions to retrieve the spare parts business to Maranello after the Classiche launch.

Best from Germany
    Martin

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    308 milano likes this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ferrari sold the spare part service of older cars more or less 20-25 years ago (exactly I don't remeber when, i think 1999) and sure they don't want it back: there is not enough gain. But it's still a Ferrari official spare part service: if you go to dealership you will receive the 308 spare part with the official Ferrari badge. Maybe you never tried the Lamborghini official spare part service and its prices… ;)

ciao

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #68 Albert-LP, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    So, before throwing tons of s--t on a spare parts service that works well, you should try the Lamborghini spare part service: I ordered a water thermostat for my Countach 5000S and they gave me the wrong one, at 150 euro. Then I called them, asking why it wasn't the correct one and they answered: "Sir, the OEM one is no more available, but you can fit that by modifying water pipelines on your car". So I paid 150 euro a 30 euro standard water termostat… Do you want to hear how much I paid my Countach build sheet? Or How much they ask for the clutch throwout bearing and the camshafts bearings? 5000 for the clutch bearing (without the clutch, of course) and 3000 for the camshafts bearings (750 x 4)...

ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    You perfectly misunderstood. I said, the official parts service from the UK works perfectly. I just said, that I fear, if it would go back to Italy even the usual maintenance stuff would get the usual rip-off and purchase procedures as well as shipping could get a disaster.

I don't care about Lamborghini. They were never active in motor racing. At least not worth mentioning. So why bother.

Best from Germany
    Martin

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Because you wrote that everyone that gives Ferrari 500 euro for a build sheet is a sort of idiot or something like that.

But let's come back to Chas gorgeous blu Acapulco 308 GTB

ciao

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    not even "something like that".
    I said "each to his own".

22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Very cool. I just took the Testarossa to do some groceries .
    Oh wait....it's 75 degrees and I live in Florida ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Hannibal308, Oengus and Albert-LP like this.
  23. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Amazing where these threads can go from title to last posts.

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I took my cat out for a walk today...72F outside.

Shamile and Martin308GTB like this.
  25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yeah, I was thirteen back then and didn't even know, that there was a Schedoni luggage set for that car :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

Shamile likes this.