488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 26 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Not quite correct. Noone1's idea on a perfect car is an electric self drive car - one which offers absolutely zero engagement.....and probably one that is some one else's - that way he can continue to own nothing.

Ash Patel likes this.
  2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome to the future of transportation :)

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yawn.

I thought it was a terrible tragedy - and most certainly not exciting.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’ve done plenty of road trips in my Tesla from Arizona to LA, Vegas, San Diego. It was fun to supercharge when the novelty was new. But it adds atleast 90-120 minutes to the trip going from Scottsdale to LA, or atleast an hour from scottsdale to Vegas.

There is no offset on a long road trip. Yes for daily driving it’s fine but longer trips suck in a Tesla.

But go ahead and refute me cause you have done the same? No? Cause you own a Tesla? No? Oh well, go ahead and argue regardless.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I can't believe you disagree with me. Unbelievable but I won't let it happen again.

My EV comment was made vis a vis super cars. As a sedan, the P90 is a superb driver and very comfortable and capable. However, for me , a significant component of the super car experience is the sonorous engine note that heightens the visceral feel of the drive. The next EV super car, whether it is Tesla or another company, will undoubtedly smoke any ICE in 0-60 times and even in the 1/4 mile. But it simply will not engender the same type of exhilaration during the drive. The overall feel will be similiar to the appearance of the Tesla Roadster- nice - but not special or captivating.

6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The Tesla is a competent daily driver. The build quality and the amount of luxury is utter crap.

IPO1 likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Can we please not pollute this thread discussing this awful (off) topic on a Pista thread.

8. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Already tried that route yesterday, didn't work.

theplanner, Shadowfax and nads like this.
  9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What makes you think you can't add sound to an EV, or even other characteristics of an ICE? Maybe some of it will come through the speakers, but so long as it's good, I don't see this problem.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You just don’t get it....

stavura likes this.
  11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For sure, but range will improve a technology matures. And if the Roadster gets as big of a battery as they claim, it will have insane range for cruising at 70mph on the highway.

I believe studies have shown that the vast majority of the population is well served with range far less than they think they need. Sure, road trips are the outlier, but most people don't do them that often. Could always just rent a car for the occasional road trip... Or just for and rent at the destination.

I personally don't do many 500 Mile/day drives. Just not my thing.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Or you don’t.

Diff people different values.

I agree the amt of luxury is poor for the price. But my Tesla build quality is unrivaled in an car I’ve owned and the staggeringly brilliant tech and performance outweighs the lux for me.

Pista.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #638 SoCal to az, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Yes. Different strokes form different folks. Tesla bought my Model X back because it was so poorly built.

Comparing a daily commuter car like the Tesla to a high performance Ferrari, mclaren, Lambo etc- yup, one of us sure doesn’t get it if you think pumping artificial sound in an electric car is acceptable.

14. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    What happened to this thread, I jumped back on to catch PISTA updates!

I have both (gas/electric) 3 electric cars later, many performance cars later.

It is nice to jump in and not worry everyday as a daily however any decent distance, performance driving (track etc) it misses completely.

Luxury wise other gas cars are still best.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This thread like every other long thread is a train wreck. Why is that a surprise? None of these threads ever stay on track.

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    In that spirit....which two teams go to the Super Bowl?

Ash Patel and SoCal to az like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I know mamy here are angry over the hijacking of the original topic of this thread. But since we are discussing Tesla, I can offer some comments about reliability and build quality. A very close friend bought the P90 in Dec/14. From the day he received the car he experienced multiple issues that neccesitated over 24 service vists to the dealer. Everything from doors suddently opening while driving. seats that would not move, to suspension problems etc. He also determined that the range of the car was 25% less than claimed. He documented the greatest range over a year period , driving at optimum speeds, in moderate temperatures etc. When presented with this conclusion, Tesla offered one excuse after another with no solution nor offering a battery exchange. He traded in the car for the latest S, full options last December. Upon pick up, when he opened the driver side door, there were 4 white circles on the inside rocker panel. When pointed out to the dealer, the sales rep, embarraingly admitted that those represent paint imperfections that the factory clearly forgot to rectify. Since then it has been in for service a dozen times. Seats not operating properly, leaking screen, broken center console but the worst event of all occured last month. He was driving on a city street at 60 kph ( 36 mph) when he applied the brakes to stop, nothing happened. The brake pedal went to the floor and the car did not even slow down. He smashed into the car in front of him. He was extremely fortunate he was not driving faster since the accident could have been fatal.He then had the car towed to Tesla. They checked his brakes and declared them perfect. They attempted to convince him that he must have accidentally pressed the throttle instead of the brakes. He has a dash cam which recorded the entire event and all the driving information is logged in his ECU. They advised that it would take up to 21 days to complete a thorough investigation of the event. Three weeks later they concluded that there is nothing wrong with the brakes but advised that he should be extra cautious after car washes and driving in wet conditions.

Bundy likes this.
  18. robcut1

robcut1 Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    I don’t think anyone has anything more to say about the Pista qualifying demands. However, I am very appreciative to hear the opinions of “Pista people” on other topics since we all have that common interest.

19. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    As the originator of the thread, I find it interesting how it moved on in various directions.

of2worlds, Ash Patel and plastique999 like this.
  20. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I actually went back to check the title of the thread to make sure it was the same one as the first couple of pages.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Wow that is insane glad everyone is okay. We cancelled our latest Model 3 order after all the paperwork and deposit was completed. They never showed up to deliver the car. After we called multiple time we were told it had 1000 miles as a demo! We were done.

After this experience I stopped complaining about an Italian manufacturer.

On the PISTA topic I can’t wait! Finished the painting at the factory with stripe. Took longer because of the stripe I’m told.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    It’s not only the sound, it’s the feel of the engine rumble in your CF seat, the smell of the gas fumes, the bang in the back after a SF F1 tranny 60 ms gearshift, the puff of condensation from the exhaust upon startup, flames if you dare decat the beast, the feel of the bumps in the road in Race mode, and the taste of pure bliss when the F1 shriek behind you at 8500 rpm mates with LED red lights blistering across your steering wheel screaming for an orgasmic shift.

Bundy, stavura, Ash Patel and 4 others like this.
  23. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Nailed it

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

That’s correct. But that light at the end of the tunnel ...... is a train coming at you. :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  25. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am still waiting on my Pista Aperta allocation letter. I check the mailbox every day.

iloveferrari and Cigarzman like this.