2019 ROAD & TRACK PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR | Page 8 | FerrariChat

2019 ROAD & TRACK PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I will destroy you in the Performante :)

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I can't wait! Regardless of the outcome we will have fun trying - that I do know!:)

Although I kinda feel guilty if i bring it - I mean holding such an unfair advantage and all :D.
    Maybe I better bring Pista haha.

3. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    personally I think Road and Track/ Car and Driver are a joke. The only track review I care about is Motor Trend with Randy Pobst.

Car and Driver use overrated VIR circuit to test their cars. They also use their editors that have limited track experience and can't push the cars to the limited.

Motor trend uses Big Willow( a speed circuit) all year to test new cars. Then at the end of the year they take most of them to Laguna Seca( a proper race circuit that isn't as HP dominant like Big Willow) to test with Randy Pobst. Its amazing to see how cars behave at 2 different styles of circuits.

Randy is a proper pro driver and gives soooooo much feed back to the viewer on what a car is doing. Ive learned so much from Randy Pobst on how a car behaves and all of the fundamentals that make up a great drivers car. Randy didn't have confidence with the ZR1 this year and didn't rate it very high. It just wouldn't hook up in the rear end coming out of slow to medium corners properly. It was only marginally better than the Z06 w/Z07 package and in some cases not at all. Thats why Road and Track are such a joke for picking the ZR1 for their winner......

Just wait till next year when Motor Trend gets a 488 Pista.

Shadowfax likes this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree except MT admittedly uses 91 octane on their tests which hurts high compression cars in their tests. They say themselves it’s quite frustrating. So cars aren’t performing at their peak during their tests. Agree though Randy is the best of the best.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    2RS vs Performante - Feb 2019 - Tassie - GAME ON !!!

On the road not this track nonsense :)

You choose your weapon of choice !!!

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Love it! Won't have Pista by Feb so will have to be 488 or 2rs. But no dirt OK!:cool:

7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Woes - no dirt !!!

Ok no dirt but 2RS - 488 not even a challenge for the HP

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Depends upon who's steering :). 2rs is just plain outrageous.

Shack likes this.
  9. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    Sadly, california doesn't have the greatest fuel.

Anyways, MT rules. Car and Driver are a joke. Bunch of pot bell writers who have zero talent and driving the cars at 25% trying to tell readers which one is better. Accidents happen but one C/D writer spun the Huracan performance this year. What saved his ass was the fact that VIR has huge grass run offs since its basically a golf course they built a race circuit on.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

Wow that is impressive

11. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    #187 spyderman, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Let’s face it the Pista got its butt handed to it by not just the Porsche but the Corvette as well at the track (the Senna was a given)...by the way was the Pista a road car designed for the track? (Lol)

Regarding the excuses of one had better tires then the other...really? Ferrari had an access to put the best tires they could formulate...there were no restrictions placed on them. 3 seconds is a plain old fashion butt whopping by the GT2 RS.

But, it Arguably looked the best and was very quick in a straight line. Too bad it’s speed could not translate onto the track.

I am still ordering my Pista..but I am disappointed in its lapping results. I guess I have to stick to the 488 Challenge car to get my thrills on the track...

of2worlds, SoCal to az and Shadowfax like this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm with you on this. All this argy bargy and excuses about tyres. They all have access to tyre manufacturers to make tyres which enhance their hero cars....which they did, and do! Nothing new there. So Porsche gets a tyre manufacturer to produce a tyre that works best with their car. Like wow how unfair - such a crime. So Ferrari and the others don't do that too? They all rely upon compounds which work in synergy with their cars chassis. Nothing new there except if its now being played upon as an excuse for losing then maybe they need to put more time into that area if that's truly where the only edge lays today. Regardless, i'm equally looking forward to my Pisa too, even if it has had its ass handed to it at the "Pista" by others.
    At the moment Porsche is saying Asta la Pista baby!!

spyderman likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Hold your horses! This was just one test. On a different track the Pista was quicker than the 2RS, albeit on different days. More testing needed in order to come to conclusions.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The mnfr's are supposed to send their cars with the same tires they ship with so as not to give a false or modified result. Tires will make a difference but it seems the mnfr's purposely use street compounds vs R to gap their "track" versions. In some cases (Ferrari) has been called out for sending cars to test with tires you cannot order from the factory. Clearly there is an advantage. Keep in mind all of these cars are silly fast so tires can be that edge that one has over another. Grip is everything. If you cant put the power down whats the point? Same for braking.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    When Ferrari provides a car for review, it is optimized on all parameters. That review car will be performing at the best it possibly can. Often, superior to the regular production examples delivered to consumers. It is becoming clear, that the Pista is not accurately named. This is not a track focused car that can also be driven on roads. It is an improved version of the 488 which would make it more competent on the track and more engaging on roads.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    And more competitive with McLaren. It seems the GT2RS is a more track focused vehicle as is the GT3RS.

Coincid likes this.
  17. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

Very competent owners of 2RS do not share Randy's view. A very good video at Sonoma Raceway (1 of 2 world class tracks in our area with the other being Laguna Seca). Owners driving their cars and extremely competent. It's a good 9 minute video with a c7 Z06 right on his tail the entire time.

18. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Agree it's just one test. Three seconds is not a small difference, especially on a short track.

Pista didn't fare well against 720s in straight line rolling tests. (I don't have the videos... just going by what dragtimes told me. Hopefully the other owners will give permission to show/post the video).

19. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    yes he was (pista) behind the 720s. Vid should show up according to source. But this was some how clear as 720s is engines is pretty close to senna. On the paper the pista should be quicker than the 2rs, but not to sure about it. Had an encounter on German higways towards HHR, and they looked pretty much the same, rollings around 150kph to 290kph.
    Once i had slightly the edge, once he had slightly the edge.

of2worlds and exoticcardreamer like this.
  20. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    The cup 2 r tyres make a big deal on any car. I am about 2 secs quiker on the cup2 on a 1:30min track than with the regular, 2rs deliverde tyres (in mamy case the Dunlop) The cup2 R tyres is quit something. Still not available in all countries, but def the worth it to wait for.

of2worlds, Gh21631 and LVP488 like this.
  21. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Dragtimes raced Pista?

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Wow, I would never have guessed. Is the C7 staying with the 720 as well?

SoCal to az likes this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Corvette looks like it could have easily over taken the GT2/RS. Seems like more of a driver issue than car.

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I dont see it that way in the video. The 911 pulls away on any straight. To be fair I stopped watching as I find that track boring to drive and watch.