Dragtimes: Pista and 720S | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dragtimes: Pista and 720S

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    What will be interesting is when the Pista Piloti hits the ground. Supposedly it has a little more something than the regular Pista....? Will it be quicker than the Pista ? Or only a paint job.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Isn’t it just a paint job? I don’t know, I’m asking. Besides, who actually owns one of these unicorns.....

crinoid likes this.
  3. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    ^^^^^^^^^ (meant for hypermac954) I don't think your fell turn 1 members would appreciate your comment.... especially the guy who you used as a reference to join the club -:).

Hope all is well. I gotta come back and join you guys for a track day again.

4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Interesting. I definitely felt lag in the 720, albeit a little less than in my LT. Frankly, all turbo cars have some lag, even the 488. Driving my 812 is a reminder of what instant throttle response truly is.

By contrast my race car has massive amounts of lag, which honestly makes it rewarding to drive. I need to time my throttle input on exits long before I actually need the power and then make absolutely sure the front wheels are (reasonably) straight before the hard kick. It became a bit of a game trying to time it perfectly.

5. HyperMac954

HyperMac954 Karting

Jul 2, 2012
    I'm a hell of a lot faster today than when he (you?) was/were in the club.

exoticcardreamer likes this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I remember at first there were early rumors of maybe a bit of a power boost however I really don’t know.

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Exactly! Driver is the biggest Factor = that ACR is a beast.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Schmee. He seems to own everything.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I hear a challenge has been presented. :) Make sure to get it on video.

10. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    The speed super cars are at today is really pushing the limit of what any owner could hope to reasonably extract ... even on track days... it’s about the gun the occasion the feedback more than top speed... to me now it’s brand relationship, experience, location, conditions etc that matter my 458 is all the car I really need and it’s love it’s normally aspirated.. a friend has a Dino and it’s a hoot to run and shift in the twists ... the seconds, the 10 pounds of weight craziness as well as adjusting for atmospheric pressures I will leave to F1 teams ... have fun and drive.

Caeruleus11 and anunakki like this.
  11. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    Ps FUN not GUN sorry typo

12. HyperMac954

HyperMac954 Karting

Jul 2, 2012
    I'll be out at Sonoma on Dec 4, 18 and 20.

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Schmee may be getting a Pista, I haven’t heard however, he won’t be able to get a Pista Piloti.

14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I felt that way 20 years ago and still do. My old 2001 Viper was all the speed I ever needed. Anything under 4 seconds is useless to me as I dont track my cars.

15. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Don't count him out LOL...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gh21631 and crinoid like this.
  16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Same here

crinoid likes this.
  17. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo

18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    A friend of mine and forum user will have his Pilota in 2019. They are rare but some of us have these unicorns.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    that may be so but if 99.9% of the public cant get one, whats the point of including it in a comparison?

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And when I say 99.9% of the public, Im referring to the exotic car buying public which is already a small segment of the population.

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You ask a good question. I'm not an absolutest so therefore, I wouldn't be inclined to say "never". Power, speed, comparisons are all things that get us thinking about a car. As do the looks. How it drives is what's important once you own it.

The good news is these companies will keep pushing. That's exciting news for those of us who enjoy these things.

22. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Arent they reserved only for Ferrari challenge drivers?

nmcclure and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
  24. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    My 720s is definitely a huge improvement over my previous Mclaren. It has some lag but not much and quite an improvement with it’s twin scroll turbos. It still doesn’t sound as good as my 488 did but it is crazy fast. I agree the video is very poor quality and maybe not even real. However, I was impressed at how well the Pista stayed with the 720. Perhaps better than almost any stock production car I’ve seen. The Mclaren is definitely lighter and likely underrated in terms of hp. I wonder if Ferrari too is starting to be conservative in their numbers? After all, 50hp and a 200 pound weight loss shouldn’t make that big of a difference compared to the 488 (134mph vs 144mph trap speed in the quarter mile). Performance metrics are important to me. They may not be the only factor in determining a car’s worthiness but it’s still important. After all, Ferrari uses such metrics to sell their cars and illustrate differences in performance. I agree that the way a car feels, sounds and connects with the driver is more important but I’m not sure people who also like metrics have problems with the size of their appendage..

tekaefixe, Shadowfax and Lukeylikey like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #50 Shadowfax, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Just to be clear with your last sentence; are you saying that there is a small penis syndrome which goes hand in hand with those who put the metrics ahead of the look feel sound and connection of the car? I'm not going to disagree there at all, but was just checking. I mean being able to pip a Pista once over 130mph is a "BIG" thing iykwim ;)