F12 battery tender hookup | FerrariChat

F12 battery tender hookup

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by ScottS, Nov 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I have a question- my 2016 F12 did not come with a charger. I am looking to replace and the hookup is in the picture. Is this the same as the F430???? It is not the magnetic one with the Cali T not the rectangular of the Cali.

Which tender and which connector is required ?

Thank you in advance.

ScottS Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Hi Scott

The OEM Ferrari charger is made by a commercial company called CTEK. Their website is: https://smartercharger.com/. Every couple of years Ferrari supplies a later generation of the charger with basically more current capacity (3.3A now up to 5.0A), more charging stages (up to seven I believe), and special modes specific for AGM batteries (which is in your F12). In the meantime, CTEK keeps upgrading their smart chargers with things like temperature compensation.

With respect to the connector, the CTEK charger come standard with a couple different connector styles in the box but not the Ferrari connector you need. That connector is available at an additional cost. My F12 came with the Ferrari branded CTEK 3.3A charger with three charge stages. When I replaced my OEM battery recently, I upgraded my charger to the CTEK MUS 5.0. It is 5.0A, has eight stages, special modes for AGM and reconditioning, as well as temperature compensation. I ordered it on-line through a second source supplier (google the model number you want to buy) that added the Ferrari connector as a package deal. I think it was total around $125.

My suggestion to you is go the CTEK site above, watch the videos, learn about charger specs such as ripple, search their many different chargers and then price-check online for a package deal that includes the Ferrari connector. The connector will work identically to the stock one with the sense line active so the car can detect it’s on the charger. I would not buy one that is below 5.0A charge. They also make a 7002 model that is 7.0A and has other capabilities. Each increase in charge capacity adds cost and size. If getting a new charger, might be a good time to start looking at a new battery. Sooner rather than later you’ll be there as well. Best.

otakki, Caeruleus11 and Alcav5 like this.
  3. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Thank you. Great info.

Will look at these. Odd how the FF and Cali are compatible but the f12 isn’t. Clearly the 12/8 product line can be crossed .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Can the #7002 be used on the F12. I don't see where it says F12 compatible??

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes. If your car has HELE (start/stop) then you need to use the snowflake mode- its the next mode after normal. If your car doesn't have HELE then you can just use normal mode.

6. diplo526

diplo526 Karting

Jun 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sundip Kumar
    Hi...I have the same issue 2017 F12 didn't come with a tender but I can't find where I can differentiate if my car is HELE or not....any advice on how to confirm this?

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It will be HELE, it came in in 2015/16.

There is a button in the top console near the light that says start/stop or something like that. The good thing on an F12 is you only have to press it once and it stays off not like the 812 where you have to press it at the start of every journey!

8. diplo526

diplo526 Karting

Jun 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sundip Kumar
    got it......never really paid attention to looking up....so I need to ensure I find a tender with the 'snowflake' on it.

the previous owner also installed the plug under the steering column....havent used either port but want to be sure I use the correct tender.