5xWDC the GREATEST OF ALL TIME? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

5xWDC the GREATEST OF ALL TIME?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ATBNM3, Nov 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

After winning his 5th WDC and taking record after record has Lewis The Hammer Hamilton is he the GOA

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Personally I think every era should be judged separately and it should not purely depend on statistics

cairns likes this.
  2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Oh, I did not know that Lewis won the 2013 championship... seriously... you guys come around that it is Lewis turning the Mercedes into a winner and when one states the obvious that it was Nico winning the first two races you come with drivel like this.... I am out, as I said: a thread with no other purpose than trolling

daytona355 likes this.
  3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said But back then there was very little participation in F1 it was more of a Niche IMO

4. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    What exactly do you mean by being "fluid?"

Jakuzzi and ATBNM3 like this.
  5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Mercedes wasn't winning championships again until Lewis was driving, end of story.

Blackmamba, cairns and ATBNM3 like this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The brass ring is the WDC. Everything else is ego massage. Yes when Hammy gets to 7 he will be GOAT.

7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    True. However, the FIA F1 World Driver's Championship didn't come into being until 1950.

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Let's formalize that. Permanent thread exclusion.

People shouldn't be participating in threads they regard as "troll threads".

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Not yet.

It's difficult to argue the case that a 5xWDC is the greatest of all time for winning his 5th title when another driver achieved 7 titles throughout his career. ;)

Hamilton is certainly up there among the elite of multiple title world champions, although it's splitting hairs for comparing driver ability, and he's certainly benefited from a formula in which he had a massive technical advantage in his engine for most of it. Due to the whole effort of getting a fast car to the grid being far more a team/technical effort than, say, preparing for a 100m foot race, statistics without context mean less to evaluation of individual sportsman's performance behind the wheel. Hamilton is unquestionably very good, even directly compared to other multiple title world champions, and that's about all I think I could say - I don't see how you could objectively assign any driver the rating of greatest of all time.

Subjectively, it's another story... subjectively, I think Schumacher's titles were contested in more difficult circumstances and required more of him personally to win them. But you could (and I suspect will) argue that point until the cows come home.

All the best,
    Andrew.

william, cairns, sammysaber and 2 others like this.
  10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    +44. :D

jgonzalesm6 and ATBNM3 like this.
  11. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I'm not so sure, I think the current friend of drivers are the most prepared in the history of F1. The competition is so tough that drivers like Ocon can't keep a seat.

I think a prime MS might run mid pack in the current formula. I'm a huge Schumi but the way. Flame suit on!

Blackmamba likes this.
  12. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    yeah, I know that argument. I mean seriously, as the biggest Hamilton fan of all time I can really say he is not that great. I admit that while being his biggest fan. I have followed his career since his karting days. I just think he is not that great. nowadays there is no more competition in F1, money decides who drives, not like in the past when champions race. Kvyat is racing now because he opens the Russian market, Stroll is racing because he has money, Kubica is racing becaue of his media and marketing attention. There is no more competition it is now only a circus. A championship today has 10% of the value of a championship 15 years ago. I am Hamilton's biggest fan.

*note: I mean nothing of the above. Just for ktu, ATBNM3 and the rest of the twins...

13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mercedes and Lewis were'nt winning championships until the formula changed. Both benefited from this PLUS the limited testing (token system). Even today(2018), Renault and Honda are still trying to catch up. Ferrari just did for 2018 with regards to PU performance and reliability.

This hybrid era formula is skewed IMO because of the limited testing when it started (2014 - 2016 ended into 2017). All other era's, it was more of an even playing field with regards to PU and reliability.

That being said, hard to compare this era with other era's of formula's.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Please, not again this discussion....

stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #65 Mark(study), Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    A poll result of 10% for Lewis being the GOA with his 5 titles and undisputed Schumacher crushing pole percentages, to 90% "no votes" from hurt Ferrari Fans, is equal to a 50/50 poll result in the greater F1 Sporting Comunity, outside of our little corner of extreme basis ;)

You have to know how to read your audience and handicap a poll for it to have any true meaning. In the F1 section of Ferrarichat, we are polling sports fans who have been victimized for 5 championships by a tormentor that doesn't fit their rose-colored glasses vision that Ferrari and its drivers are the heart & soul of modern F1... and to suggest anything other, is just too hard to swallow (the mark of extremely loyal and dedicated sporting fans).

Thus the poll seems to reflect exactly what I would have predicted for this type of question this fresh after the end of another losing season.

16. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Maybe you should also use your stat bending philosophy above when going over Hamilton's career and making adjustments eg more races per season during his career, no competition for a number of seasons, point changes, debut in class winning car etc. and then coming back with Hamilton's adjusted stats as well.

Best,

Sammy

daytona355 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I even don't think that Schumacher is the GOAT, much less Hamilton. His stats have an asterisk for many specific circumstances, just like Vettel's.

william and bmwracer like this.
  18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    No need to try and dilute Hamilton's achievements because of the current times. Schumi benefited from more races as well. Fangio only had 9 races a year. F1 always changes, all a driver can do is dominate in their era.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He is the Vice-GOAT.

With 5 titles he ties Fangio but he beats him in many other statistics. So only MS stands now in his way. Realistic chance to match/beat that record, but we'll see.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yes this should not be overlooked, Ham has shown he is the goat of being the fastest guy ever in a F1 car

ATBNM3 likes this.
  21. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Sorry didn't mean to dilute - meant that you can't just change stats when it suits you ie over 88% of the users in the poll do not rate him as the GOAT must be a fact. Just check the top of the page.

Best,

Sammy

daytona355, Jakuzzi and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1
    And with a challenging team mate instead of Bottas the Butler

daytona355, stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

the fastest driver in the fastest and most reliable ever car, yes perhaps.

daytona355, Jakuzzi, stavura and 3 others like this.
  24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Flavio_C one day ban, bypassing the profanity filter.

Guys, it's simple, type the word, if it's no good, the filters catch it, if you slip in a $ for an S, or a 1 for an I, then a ban is coming your way.

D

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    No, Lewis is among the greatest of all time. He has not yet achieved GOAT, although he is closing in on the numerics.