430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube

Discussion in '360/430' started by f355spider, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The ME7s don't have a direct equivalent SW for the Scuderia (just like on the CS) so there will be no direct equivalent to flash. Ferrari won't do it for you and if you just try to use Scud firmware it's actually dangerous. You need to take the Scuderia firmware and Modify it's settings directly in the map regions areas so it thinks it's not a F1 .. there are many things that won't ever work if you don't do this. And just flashing F430 h gate firmware I doubt will work either...at least it will generate cels and loose power, at most potentially damaging.

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    For example... On the 360, the differences to convert any F1 firmware to run on a H-Gate where related to Configuration of the firmware. Something called CWKONFZ1, its related to allowing the firmware to understand how to treat the car differently. The F1 box runs quite a few different maps than a H-Gate plus there is a direct comms line between the TCU and Ignition ECU's which obviously needs disabling in non-F1 mode...

Patch #1 [ Configuration of ROM Mode ]
    {
    ** CWKONFZ1:

0x4A = F1 AMT Gearshift
    0x42 = 6spd Manual transmission
    }

Patch #2 [ ROM EPK ]
    {
    e.g.;
    EPK: 43/1/ME7.3/69/117/F131_US//17b51am1/091203/ (for manual transmission)
    EPK: 43/1/ME7.3/69/117/F131_US//17b51af1/091203/ (for f1 shift)
    }

Patch #3 [ROM DIF ]
    {
    e.g.;
    DIF: 069117/17b51am1 (for f1 shift)
    DIF: 069117/17b51af1 (for manual transmission)
    }

Patch #4 [ROM EROTAN ]
    {
    e.g.;
    EROTAN: F131 USA O c.e. (for f1 shift)
    EROTAN: F131 USA O c.m. (for manual transmission)
    };

Patch #5 [ROM VMECUHN ]
    {
    e.g.;
    VMECUHN: 206425.000 (part number for f1 shift)
    VMECUHN: 206426.000 (part number for manual transmission)
    };

Patch #6 [ROM TVKUP ]
    {
    e.g.
    TVKUP: Delay time for B_kupplv (clutch pedal)
    00 -> 03 0x00 goes to a 0x03 (indicating a 300ms delay)
    };

Patch #7 [ROM LRSTPZA ]
    {
    LRSTPZA: Period duration of the LRS forced amplitude
    0a -> 50 0x0a goes to a 0x50
    };

Doing this little lot may be enough on to convert an F1 to a H-gate on an F430 too but I haven't yet looked into it in great detail. I have done this for the 360 and the Swiss Army Knife tool can correctly identify these fields in ANY 360 rom file and their offsets. I just need to find the byte signatures used on the F430 romcode and ofcourse verify other settings about what changed between versions (ME7.3.1 on F430 vs ME7.3.0 on 360)..

All I am trying to say is this requires ECU expertise and more than someone just playing around in WinOLS.. I.e. you need to understand the firmware itself really really well...

imahorse likes this.
  3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Great project Art, and Trev fantastic research. Love to see it finished.

360trev likes this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I got a ride in arts gated 430... looked and drove like a factory car. Hope to get a ride in the gated unicorn scud when it’s done. Ole buddy.

Merrick Harding and 360trev like this.
  5. Merrick Harding

BANNED

Mar 22, 2018
    Theres now another Scuderia conversion episode.

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    @Art... If you have any issues now with having to use "used" ECUs on your vehicle let me know as I have now completed the work to get my Swiss Army Knife too to work correctly on F430's too for the immobilizer functions. This means all used F430 ECUs, even used and paired ones will work on any F430 now.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    And here's the wiring diagram for doing a bench flash yourself using KTAG (or cheap clones). With this approach you can read/write everything including flash and eeprom... With my latest Swiss Army Knife the immobilizer should be gone too. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree. Nothing like ruining a perfectly good SCUD. All this nonsense about "not being connected" in an F1 is totally baloney. If you don't believe me, ask Formula 1 professionals if they aren't connected :)

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You have not driven a manual Scuderia so you shouldn't speculate that it will ruin it. Ferrari actually went on record in interviews and said it was only demand and cost that influenced their decision not to produce it in a H gate format. Nothing else.

Let's please keep the F1 Vs H gate debates to the thousands of other threads on the subject. Marmite it most certainly it and everyone has an opinion on it ...

808Forza and Merrick Harding like this.
  10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nor would I really want to. I see no reason to make this modification but it's not my car nor my money so they can paint it pink if they like ;)

My other comment is very relevant as to their opening statement in the first video. To make the claim that one "is not connected" in an F1 is false, not to mention the false statement that a SCUD has an automatic transmission. It's an automated manual.

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Apples to oranges... You won't ever change H gate people to your view and vice versa. I personally feel much more mental involvement heel and toeing, rev matching myself (dare I say it more 'connected'..). When I have flappy paddles I just get bored and leave them in automatic mode. Like I said apples to oranges... Different people want different things.

Weird thing is I do like full race sequential shift boxes .. but totally different feeling again and only on the track of course

Jakuzzi, 808Forza and LorenzoR like this.
  12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Many people feel that the F1 isn't as engaging. That's why gated cars command a premium. It's all a matter of opinion. Not everyone's will line up with yours. F1 is engaging, but if I could afford the extra for a manual I would in a heartbeat.

Jakuzzi, 808Forza and Merrick Harding like this.
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Certainly everyone has a right to their opinion. Manuals are generally more valuable because of rarity, not because they are manual. If F1's were the minority, they would command a premium.

What someone chooses is fine but I personally (my opinion) don't like to see a conversation especially when the driving force of a SCUD is the super fast F1 gearbox.

taz355 and Flea7 like this.
  14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    that plus the scud is Soooo much better with the F1 superfast shifter.............

Flea7 and Dave rocks like this.
  15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Than what exactly? There isn't any comparison since they didn't make a H gate Scuderia.

People argue the AMT is dead as a dodo now too, even Ferrari ditches it. Why? Its because no manufacturer would ever choose one again (obsoleted) over later technology double clutch with seamless shifting.. so better than X but not Y???! Are we talking about the "emotion" of the shift by any chance ? Since the double clutch is obviously "technically" faster, better, blah blah... Next we go to electric drivetrain without gears.. is that better ? Again better than what and for what? The technology is always advancing, the only issue is when the cars start self driving we become the weak link and suddenly there will no doubt be new kid's arguing nobody should drive because it's "sooo much better with the Yadawada AI system driving ....".

..in a nutshell 1 size doesn't fit all and never will. Bring on the 430 Manual Scuderia... Some will get it and some never will. just like the future kids who don't get "self driving" won't understand why we risked all to do it ourselves... We are all crazy!!!

catdog, Jakuzzi, 808Forza and 2 others like this.
  16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    By the way I knew this thread would degenerate into one about how stupid/crazy/insert expletives here it is to convert a 430 Scuderia into a H gate.

Can we now get back to the point of the thread please?!?

808Forza and LorenzoR like this.
  17. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I agree with you TREV,,,,Someone always has to be critical here,,,rediculis

xiang li, Jakuzzi and 808Forza like this.
  18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #43 Dave rocks, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Right. Some get that F1 gearbox, or in the case, automated manual, is an advancement in technology. For some reason, this advancement is criticized by some. Should we also go back to less aerodynamic cars, less handling improvements with old suspension technology and on and on? To me, it just makes no sense to remove technology advancements and go backwards. I enjoy a manual car too and am in the process of restoring one. But I bought one designed and built as a manual.

IMO, converting a SCUD is the equivalent to putting an F1 gear box in a 250 GTO - it just doen't suit the design intent or era of the car.

Flea7 likes this.
  19. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

one can brag about the f1 all they want. I get that it can shift faster and the sound when shifting may be better but you can have them for your birthday. The reliability just isnt there for me. And the one who claim that they ARE reliable are the ones with low mileage who never drive them

catdog, Jakuzzi and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  20. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    458's and Californias have been coming into the shop with CCP and Transmission issues lately. Just replacing the CCP's is a fortune. To each their own. I traded in my 3 month old BMW M2 DCT for a 6 Speed M4 and I enjoy every moment of it. I don't take a timed F1 circuit to work...

catdog, 808Forza and one4torque like this.
  21. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

If i were you id edit your video where you claim to be the first to convert a F430 because apparently you didnt and its documented. I read Lorenzos thread where he had converted and documented his car about a year before you did and in fact someone oversea may have converted one before he did but its not documented.

22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well the latest video landed last night... They finally have the 430 Scuderia working and rowing through the gears. Just Amazing to see! This really is a world first!!

Watch it here...

//Art and his crew really are a great bunch of guys. They are real car enthusiasts and its been great working with them in the past few weeks. Art himself contacted me directly on Ferrarichat after trying (and failing) to get the firmware working. Apparently a US based tuner had reflashed his Scuderia ecu's to base model F430 manual gearbox firmware . :eek::(.. That simply isn't what is required and would literally never have worked without ripping out everything which makes it a Scud! I simply wasn't happy with that route and it would have been incompatible with virtually every other ecu including wiring looms, the lot...

So I got involved and we went back to drawing board. There are ofcourse lots of differences between the versions and not even to mention the big ones like Ion only being present on the Scuderia.. Totally different setup basically so I stated my opinion that there was no other way to do this than modify the original Scud software. After a lot of hours invested by myself I worked out exactly what was required to be done to the Scuderia firmware, this wasn't easy and fixed their ECU's for them so this is literally a REAL Scuderia conversion. Everything intact including ion sensing, the lot...

The world deserved this!!!!! And its awesome. Cannot wait to see this beast on the road in future vids.. :D

23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Gated community!

Jakuzzi, 808Forza and 360trev like this.
  24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    so, explain to me again now...how this manual scud differs from that of a manual F430? Other than weight and little more power? Is this just to "say" "I have a gated 6 speed manual Ferrari 430 Scuderia"?

Oh, my preference is a manual transmission.

25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    In exactly the same way a Scuderia is different to a F430...

Totally different cars to drive. Drive the two and compare.

Also the changes required are very very different. Art and his team had already converted a F430 before and this was a much bigger endeavour!

808Forza likes this.