Official book collectors thread | Page 102 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Thanks Jack, I have noted your interest and I will get back to you nearer the time. Best regards
    Nathan

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Doug23, maximilien, gt4me and 3 others like this.
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    NürScud and jpsf1uk like this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Is the yearbook still a softcover magazine or is it now a hardcover book? It is hard to tell from the photo.

5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    A year that Ferrari would love to forget (at least in terms of F1 results). :(

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is hardcover.
    Factory print #6213/18 (095998249).
    Total of 224 pages. A real book.

Marcel Massini

tifoso2728, Doug23, NürScud and 4 others like this.
  7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Marcel thank you for including the two identification numbers, the new Ferrari Year book looks wonderful!

8. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Contents:

the FERRARI 550 and 575 -
    ROAD and RACE LEGENDS

Think of all the great sportscars, and one name that inevitably comes to mind is Ferrari. For more than 70 years, Ferrari have been building cars that impress not only by their performance but also by their stunning appearance.

The Ferrari 550 and 575 series of cars were significant in the Ferrari lineage, as they brought back the traditional Ferrari front-engined V12 GT cars (think 275GTB/4 and 365GTB/4), but with modern technology.

This book tells, for the first time, the complete story of the 550 and 575 road cars and their variants, including the 550barchetta and the Superamerica.

From the earliest days, there have been competition versions of Ferrari’s top GT cars; some privately developed and built and some ‘factory’ produced. The 550 and 575 series were no exception. They competed successfully on the race tracks of the world, including Le Mans, Silverstone, Daytona and others.

This book tells, for the first time, the complete competition histories of the privately built and raced 550s, and Ferrari’s own 575s. Their successes (and disappointments) on the race tracks of the world are recounted with first-hand accounts from drivers, team members and other personnel. An exhaustive list of race results is also included.

Amply illustrated with more than 400 colour and b/w photos, technical analysis and a listing of 6000 known chassis numbers.

The standard edition has more than 230 pages which includes a list of chassis numbers, but the leather edition has an extra 120 pages which includes a detailed chassis listing of all 6000 or so known cars.

This then is the complete story of the magnificent Ferrari 550s and 575s – both the road and race legends.

Note: the leather edition doesn't not have a dust-cover. The book is leather covered and so is the slip-case, so with the leather edition there is no 550 or 575 cover choice. Hope that makes sense.

Nathan

-CD-, gt4me, Dino2400 and 2 others like this.
  9. PAT30

PAT30 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I am absolutely interested in your book.
    Maybe, will I see you at Retromobile to buy a copy ?

10. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Hello Patrick,
    I'm hoping to launch the book at Retromobile, and I hope to be there. I will update this thread nearer the time.
    Nathan

Dino2400 and PAT30 like this.
  11. PAT30

PAT30 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hello Nathan,
    I will follow your news.
    Patrick

12. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    #2537 bloomberg, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    I took a long look at it in the Taschen store in Brussels today. I agree with Maarten's assessment. The box looks very nice, even more so with the 'exhaust pipe' stand. I'm sure it impresses visitors if you have the appropriate house and library/showroom. But that's about it. The book itself is far too large to handle, as is the case with most of the Taschen "limited" editions. Production qualities are no more than average. Content wise there is not much to write home about. There are some very nice pictures, but many of them are seen before. Text is limited. Moreover, the book looks very clumsy with photography on full sized pages, and the text on smaller sized pages, printed on lesser quality paper. Another negative is to print one picture on two pages, which just ruins the image. The publisher will most likely sell all of them, but to me this is just another overpriced gadget without any intrinsic value.

13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thanks for your honest review. I guess the jury is still out on this very expensive book.

14. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    NürScud and doyler like this.
  15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    New series of Alfa Romeo books that have amazing vintage photos and detailed information on the cars. The T33 book is incredible and has many photos from every press conference and race in 1967. They also plan on doing books on every racing year for the Tipo 33 cars from 1967 until 1975. The photos are all historical with no modern photos and most photos being in color shot with Kodachrome or in high resolution black and white. They are also doing production car books the same way, with good coverage of the racing for each car. Kind of remind me of the 3 volume GTA books done a few years ago but much less expensive. These books are a bargain with incredible insight from the people they interviewed and stunning photos. The best T33 book ever.
    They even have a chapter on the OSI prototypes from 1967!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

bloomberg and Doug23 like this.
  16. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I wonder where Ferrari got the idea for the SP1 and SP2?
    Nathan

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now that's really in-depth coverage. I'd be curious to see how the Corse Clienti volume covered the event at Road Atlanta in March.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    The racing activities yearbook seems to grow bigger every year. IMHO the only real Ferrari yearbook. More important than the other one part of the official magazine. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell

Do you have a supplier for this in Europe/UK?

Dino2400 likes this.
  21. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    Dino2400 and gt4me like this.
  22. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    F1tommy, jm2 and NürScud like this.
  24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Excellent! Thank you for sharing a picture of that Cavallino #228 cover here.

25. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And a nice issue it is . . . .

of2worlds likes this.