Thoughts on this car, 86 328 | FerrariChat

Thoughts on this car, 86 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by PCHMOTOHO, Dec 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    #1 PCHMOTOHO, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Hello,

Long time lurker here averaging about one post every 2 years. Could you all please share your thoughts on this car? Im looking to purchase my first Ferrari. Yes I would rather buy from a private party but my little history with buying old cars from dealers has actually been very positive.

Like most of you I assume, I have been in love with Ferraris since...... basically when I was around 10 years old (1975) and am looking to finally obtain one in my early 50s. A 308 /328 is what I'm after as that is what I fell in love with first and most importantly it's what my budget allows. 250s, F40s, and Boxers will have to wait for Lottery winning or perhaps in another lifetime.

All thoughts good, bad, or indifferent are welcome. Details as to why this or that is good or bad would be appreciated as well. I'm here to learn.

https://www.gtautolounge.com/vehicle-details/1986-ferrari-328-gts-convertible-832ca5ff9b864c0ab4411edd3a7a6621

Thank you

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That car looks super clean and has a great combo of Nero/Tan, also has the complete tools and manuals look like a very well taken cared for. You know the 308 QVs are very well made and reliable model then when they made the 328, they made even more reliable not to mention larger displacement, better cooling system, and better ignition system. I just know you’re going to be happy driving this car, it’s like taken you back in 1975, you will feel like 10 again, keep us posted on your decision.

3. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
  4. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    You want up to date service service and records, and documented mileage with a PPI

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    From the photos, it looks very very nice. Nothing appears to be missing; it looks very intact.

I only spot minor things; the seats show some wear and the trunk gasket needs replacement. Trivial.

The Service Records, if complete, will confirm mileage as accumulation will be documented.

6. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    This looks to be a very nice car in “driver” condition...not a trailer-queen. You won’t win any platinum awards with it but you can drive the hell out of it without worrying about a stone chip here and there.

Engine bay is clean...nothing missing or askew. Interior wear is consistent with the moderately-high mileage but that’s to be expected on a $60k car.

Check to ensure all instruments, climate controls and electric windows (slow even on a good day) function properly. That looks like original paint but ask to be sure. [Any paintwork should trigger added scrutiny with a flashlight and a paint-thickness gauge...look for bodywork]. All 328’s were galvanized so corrosion isn’t a issue.

I can’t access the Carfax report but you should read it carefully...look for title irregularities, accident reports, failed inspections, unusual repair work. And as mentioned by eyeman, a pre-purchase inspection is always recommended with a 32 year-old exotic.

My own experience with the 328 suggests you’ll be v. happy driving this car on the street at legal speeds (there are much better choices available for track work). Reliability is generally excellent with these cars and many electrical parts are generic Bosch.

Finally, the price is realistic...even if you sell it in a few years you won’t lose any money.

So what are you waiting for??!

Best of luck,
    Alan
    N.J.

speedcat likes this.
  7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Just a f.y.i. I have found that when people state the mileage when the last service was done and not also the date that it was done it’s usually because it was over 5 years since the last belt service was done so like others have stated ask to see all the paperwork but it seems to be fairly priced to me even if it is due for a belt service. Best of luck!

8. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Thanks everyone. It is much appreciated. Yes I will for sure have a PPI done.

The records supposedly got back quite a ways and belt change was done 3 years ago.

What am I waiting for? I’d like to sell my old 911 first but I may go an alternate route and try to speed this up.

Thanks again and if I do purchase this I’ll be sure to let u all know.

9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Seems like a really great price if everything checks out.

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah, barring that it’s not stolen it seems like a very good deal! Absolutely amazed that you can pick up the 328 for this price.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Looks cleaner than my #62319 (4 months older) did when I bought it for $35k in 2004. I notice that a lot of the "idiot" lights have been rotated improperly, a sign that the panel has been removed at some time. Check the instrument lighting at night; even at its best it will be pretty poor. Also check to see if the tachometer is reading correctly; they tended to go bad on '86s. And check to see if the air conditioning is cooling properly.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Not a bad price, based only on the pics and advert details. Here's some things I've noticed:

- Major service done 4K miles ago, but how long ago?
    - The Speedometer is a different color (the numbers) than the other gauges there. The clock is also a different color than the other 2 gauges. I don't think it's the light/angle, because it looks this way in more than 1 image. So take a look there if you visit in person.
    - Lots of corrosion & paint gone on the coolant tank.
    - Clamps in the engine all seem correct OEM - that's great. Some of the hoses also look original - not so great.
    - Rubber around rear storage is torn. Not big deal, mine looks just like that.
    - Everything under the front hood looks pretty great
    - Seats need some leather care
    - Front center tunnel (interior) looks like it has a protective sticker on it. Possibly from a detailer, or perhaps a replaced panel. Doubt it's a problem
    - Stereo isn't period correct, but at least it's an Alpine - the best looking stereos ever
    - Fair bit of patina on the steering wheel, doesn't bother me one bit. Adds to the history of the car...
    - Blemish in the outer vinyl on the gauge pod doesn't add to the history.
    - Door lights work. That's nice to see
    - There's either a hit of rust (or dirt) just on the inside driver's door
    - Why is there a hole drilled in the ashtray border? If it's for an alarm that's no longer in the car, prepare for the potential for weird wiring that may need correction

Not trying to nitpick this car, and if it sounds like I'm saying "RUN AWAY!" I'm not. But it's easy for the "holy frack, I'm about to buy a Ferrari!" to obscure various issues when you look at your first one.

13. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  14. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Thanks again for all the help guys.

Major service done 3 1/2 years ago. I missed the hole drilled by the ashtray. Thanks for pointing that out. I spoke to the seller again today. Price seems pretty firm but I may fly up there from LA this weekend just to look at it. Of course it may end up being an expensive trip!

Value wise, what if anything does the color black do for this model? Just curious. I really thought I only wanted red but this black / tan really caught my eye. I also already have a red car as well as a red Ducati in the garage. Thats a lot of red. Although I realize I'm a newbie here and that may come off as sacrilege here! I apologize in advance if I offended anyone!

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Any color other than red is generally less desirable in terms of resale. I'm not trying to offend owners of blue or green cars, but red is the most popular color. I would not have even considered anything but red. (Also note that nothing I do with my own car is related to improving the potential resale value for it's own sake.)

Having said that, it will be YOUR car. And if you love it in black, then that's the color for you and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

16. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    They say that 70% of first-time Ferrari buyers, buy a red one. However, I think a Ferrari in any color is beautiful, especially Black!

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    eyeman1234 likes this.
  18. thoke

thoke Karting

Jul 31, 2011
    Ridgway CO
    Full Name:
    T.Hoke
    eyeman1234 likes this.
  19. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Yes I would be completely satisfied with either or but no colors but black or red. My daily driver is a black F150 and it sits outside. Thankfully I somewhat enjoy wiping it down every other day for 20 minutes or so.

20. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I Love the blk/ tan 3x8.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I once read that 77% of the 328s left Maranello in red, and there was only one red back then, not like today. 12% were black, leaving 11% for all the other colors: yellow, blue (light and dark), white, green, brown, grey and even prune!

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Prugna.

23. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

Not quite.
    There was two different RED : Rosso Corsa FER 300/6 and after 300/9 and Rosso Mettalizzatto FER 305/C.
    11% of 328 produced left factory Black : Nero FER 1240 and FER 901/C. So 12% of 328 was Giallo, Blu etc … I never find until today information concerning % or number of each other colour.