PROs, Tell Me About Alternators | FerrariChat

PROs, Tell Me About Alternators

Discussion in '308/328' started by mwr4440, Dec 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Guys,

May be about time to have a spare on the shelf.

I see them rated from about 55 amps to 85 and maybe higher.

What is the BEST one to replace my OEM alternator with? Bosch is probably a 'given.' Correct?

P.S. Car is a '81 308 GTSi, NA version.

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Given current spare parts quality, best solution is to have an old OEM-alternator rebuilt at a reputable Bosch Service.
    Except you want to replace a good old alternator once made in Germany with a new one coming from heaven knows from where.

Best Regards
    Martin

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    55A works for carbed 308, but the 308-2Vi (like yours) needs 65A minimum (because the CIS fuel pump adds an extra ~10A load). On the upper end, you will be limited by the drive belt (unless you've had the kit installed to go to the later QV design with the separate WP and Alt belts). When they went to an 80A alternator on the QVs, enough cars had problems with the single combination WP + Alt belt that they redesigned it to use separate belts (and made the kit available to fix troublesome early cars):

Early QV design (and used on 308-2Vi)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Late QV design (and 328)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Not every early QV using the single combination WP + Alt belt had a problem with an 80A alternator, but 80A would be the absolute max upper limit that you should try IMO (and something like 70~75A might be better); however, I'm with Martin -- nothing wrong with getting your old one rebuilt (and it may be upgradable, but don't go too high).

4. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Steve,

Roger.

I've taken the AC out of the equation. It NEVER gets hot enough to use it.

In fact the engine heat is often very welcome.

Martin's milage may vary. :D

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    AC isn't in the equation -- it has always had its own separate belt in all designs.

6. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I thought the 'additional' drag on the system might be an issue and removing it might 'lighten the load.'

Grom what you are saying I guess no appreciable difference if it is there or not.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Removing the AC will take some small load off the engine, but of course isn't related to any of the belts on the alternator or waterpump.

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Can you suggest any belt I could remove to lessen the financial load on this car? ie. Drag on my wallet. :)

Martin308GTB likes this.
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I think the solution is to tighten a belt, not loosen one. ;)

308 milano and mwr4440 like this.
  10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    No belt tip. But pray to God each evening, that the spare parts headquarter stays in the UK and doesn't return to Italy.

Best from Germany
    Martin

mwr4440 likes this.
  11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Measure the bearings, go on line get some high end Nakichi or whatever the are called bearings, change the brushes, and you rebuilt a Ferrari alternator for 60$.

308 milano likes this.
  12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    All kidding aside, I wouldn’t even mind paying a little extra to a central distributor for parts, provided they were GOOD QUALITY PARTS. Have had to return a number of items through the years. Gaskets, hose, plug wires etc. all being sold under the guise of OEM. Big hassle but thats where the F-chat Community has been extremely helpful.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    As you go up in amperage the belt size changes. It takes power to to turn the stator to generate the current on demand. In other words the tiny early belt of 7mm can not support the load of the later 85 amp let alone 100amp re winds. That's why the later design uses a 9mm if I recall right. I did an serpentine belt pulley update to one of the big builds for a custom hairpin alternator of 300amps, that monster needs a 6rib belt. But it'll turn to match the sky high 12k rpm limit.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think that's a given, those parts arrived like an avalanche from Maranelllo!!!

The only advantage to the early belt system is the alternator light comes on, to warn you that your water pump has seized!
    :D :D

Merry Christmas everyone...

I am selling my 16" QV wheels but cannot find the discussion!

As to the OP, the Bosch I have never found available as a rebuilt unit, it's a unique catalog number...not sure why...which as Martin warns can be troublesome.
    So, as noted I truck it down to some cranky guy with a cigar, who fixes it up....I DO warn him "engine goes to 7500RPM, dude!"

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Just to avoid any misunderstandings.I assume you're talking about Maranello Concessionaires and not Maranello/Italy :)
    Ordered parts last Wednesday afternoon. Arrived on Thursday afternoon in Germany.

Best from Germany
    Martin

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes I meant the Factory "dump" of pre 1990 parts from Italy to the UK....may have been past 1990 as there were F40 crate engines in it!!

17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    It was around 1998. I remember, because you got nothing for months, since the parts were on the road in containers on the railway.

Best Regards
    Martin