New research: fitting 360 CS rims to F355 | FerrariChat

New research: fitting 360 CS rims to F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Drock28, Dec 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Probably spent too much time on this already.. but couldn’t help share the info..

Given any and all posts on the subject is all hearsay, without concrete facts/documentation of the process with before and after pictures showing the rim, how it was done etc..

This is in regards to the 430 19” oem rim and 360/430 19” challenge rim.

The responses (including myself) are always you have to shave/machine the hub of the rear wheels by ~11mm so they fit properly.

Well as much as I really like the look of the 360 CS rim on the F355, I never put much extra thought into it, until now, given I have access to a set nearby.

And had pics taken of the back side of the rear rims to see the hubs.

The 355 oem rim has a rear offset of 77

The 360 CS rim has a rear offset of 39

Bolting the CS rim directly on the 355 would be the equivalent of having a 38mm spacer on the rear oem 355 rim, which obviously would stick out way too far.

Thus the reason to shave off some of the hub material, so that the rim sit closer in.

The reported amount would be about 11mm to shave off.

Well after seeing the pictures and the amount of hub material which shows exactly 18mm. I just don’t see how shaving off 11mm and leaving only 7mm of hub material is doable..? and it doesn’t end just there. I believe, the center bore would have to be machined deeper too, so that the ring can seat in properly, given the 355 is hub centric.

Even at that, shaving off 11mm would put the CS rim at a 50mm offset. Where it would still be beyond the wheel arch.

Despite all the mystery and inconclusive data, there are a handful of cars running the CS rims on the 355. Such as this spider for sale? Which ive gone as far as contacting the dealer, who confirm the car is on consignment, and asked if I can get in touch with the owner etc. but I assume even if I dot get in touch with seller, it will be usual response, “they were already on there when I bought the car”.

Anyways, I get OCD over these things.

I would still be open to do it, but until I see a fully documented job, it is a no go for me. if I were to do it, I would fully document it. but I can tjustify the risk to buy the rims. Besides the fact after contacting a rim repair shop in my area, I lost all confidence in attempting the project, after explaining the job I was looking to do and the person was not too responsive etc.

So this thread, pretty much sums up all the data or lack thereof from all other posts on the subject, specific to the 430/CS 19” rim on a 355.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    They fit on my 348 challenge rears no issue

355 is a scooch wider at the hubs

Lots 360 wheels on 355s rolling around

3. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    indeed there are a lot of oem star fish 360 18's on F355's..

the star fish wheels also have 39 offset in rear.

but with live evidence of only 18mm of hub material on the CS 19" rear rim.. I need to see the process documented, before I would attempt to do it.

4. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I froze a frame from your video and compared it to an OEM setup and you can see the difference in poke. IMO those wheels haven't been touched and should come in at least 10mm.
    One thing is sure, you can't lower a car with that much poke and not rub your fenders unless you add a good amount of camber.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

getragV8 likes this.
  5. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    interesting so you think the CS rims on the spider weren’t touched/machined?

6. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I my humble opinion I think the red spider wheels have likely been turned down the 10-11mm and that is where they will sit. That is as far under the car as you can get them and still leave some hub material.

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I’m not sure what all the fuss is about, they really don’t look all that good on a 355.

Yassa, jimmym, getragV8 and 1 other person like this.
  8. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Excuse my ignorance, but are the 360/430 wheels the same width as stock 355 wheels? If not, then I don't think only considering offset is sufficient as a wider wheel with the exact same offset will stick out further.

9. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    the front and rear widths are the same.. 7.5 front and 10 rear.. so really its only the rear offset.. otherwise the challenge 19" would be direct bolton.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Plugzit did this. And then he went back to stock.

11. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
  12. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    lol good one.

would be curious the see and/or measure how much hub surface is left on one of your rear wheels.

as indicated above the 19” challenge wheels have 18mm of surface. if that’s same on the modulars means you have 3mm of hub left?

13. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Don’t know, I have put close to 15 K miles on it and no issues yet.
    I will measure them next time i have the wheels off.

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Dont sweat hub depth so much I have rims with no hub depth that cost a fortune. As long as the bolts have enough depth and the brakes dont hit the rim your fine.
    If you ever went to a wheel factory you will see the same rim for dozens of models they simply shave the hub and drill the bolt pattern. I know a guy in Sun Vally thats all he's has done in the last 15 years

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So what do you think minimum thickness would be safe and acceptable

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Look at the should on the front rims. I would go down so stock length bolts fit thats it, maybe 5 mm more LOL
    The guy who does them told me you can go 2-3 mm before you hit the pocketing on the back of the rim

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #17 Ferrarium, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Been obsessing about wheels, thinking the BBS 19 and found this thread, figured I'd post this as a visual reference guide. On the 348 a front tire size is a problem as the front hangs lower than the 355 need I can't find a 215 x19. The car in the video does NOT have 18 shaved, more like 6 if that, I am not even sure he has any shaved off looks like camber change.

[​IMG]