Article About Blackstone Labs In Roundel Magazine | FerrariChat

Article About Blackstone Labs In Roundel Magazine

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Feb 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    In the January issue of Roundel there is an article about Blackstone Labs where Ryan Stark, brother of the late Jim Stark who founded the company, was interviewed. What follows is a quote from the article.

(Interviewer)"Would Stark recommend using synthetic oil? Is it really any better?" (Stark)"Supposedly it maintains its viscosity better. The engines that run them look great, but they probably would on regular oil too. We just don't see any benefits for the money. It's going to get contaminated no matter what." Later in the article (I don't feel like typing it all out) Stark states that it is cheap insurance for track cars. The interview concludes with the question about which oil Stark uses. His heretical answer is "Whatever is on sale. Buy five quarts and get a free filter."

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I read that article too. My interpertation of what he was saying was that all modern oils are very good and that passenger car owners worry too much.

neil e dale likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    This is apparently what the experts here say as well. "Buy the one with the prettiest label"

4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I agree that most oil with appropriate certifications are a push. I have never seen an engine failure due to oil if regularly changed. Having said that, I use synthetic since my car has a turbo. Cheap insurance.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    308's peg the oil temps on the track. Syn is nice for that.

6. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I use synthetic in my track car that is turbocharged and in two other vehicles where the manufacturers recommended it but not in my 328.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    ""Whatever is on sale. Buy five quarts and get a free filter.""

I have a good friend who does exactly that and has done all his life. He recently rode a motorcycle south to Tierra del Fuego and then turned around and rode to the north slope of AK. The only oil it got was "whatever oil the local village store had in stock. when I needed some." That was a 30k mile trip on a bike that already had 37k miles when he started the trip. The bike has another 20 k miles on it since with no sign that it needs any attention. ;)

8. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    yes as I recall Blackstone labs said there is little difference in wear among modern synthetics I said that in my earlier post .