Warning of fishing scam by auto broker | FerrariChat

Warning of fishing scam by auto broker

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by f355spider, Jan 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #1 f355spider, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    I received an odd email about an hour and a half ago, that raised my suspicions. When I google search some of the details in the message, I found threads on other forums of this fishing attempt. Apparently these are coming from Milford Auto Mall in South Bellingham, MA. The folksy way it was written caught me off guard, but the obvious cut and paste was a tip off (different fonts, which is not showing in my copy and paste). Here is what I received, posted as an FYI:

Hello XXXXX, I apologize for my email!
    Bob (here in copy of this message) referred me to You. I restore and collect with my brother in law Italian cars. I'm actually looking to buy a 60's to 90's Ferrari ( F355 etc..). Also very interested in Alfa Romeos, Lancias, Fiats and Maseratis in any condition.
    Please let me know if you can help or advise me. There os no hurry and feel free to call me anytime at 617-777-7478 Thanks in advance.
    Tim & Serge
    617-777-7478

The senders email was: Tim McDowall <[email protected]>
    The email of the fictitious "Bob" referenced (and cc'd) in the email is [email protected]

paulchua likes this.
  2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I got the same email today.

f355spider likes this.
  3. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Oh, and forgot to mention the subject line was "Looking for an early Ferrari Or Italian make // Ref. Bob"

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, that is one of several threads that come up when you google search the emails or phone number. They appear to be a legitimate used car dealer, but certainly use some shady marketing practices.

6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    its probably not a scam, however its pretty unethical...i myself buy/sell old aircooled 911's and have built a good rep doing it- Its always better to be straight forward and honest, beating around the bush or trying to "trick" or "fool" people like the attempt in this email will quickly expose you for being a shady slimy used car dealer

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    That phone number looks familiar... I remember seeing something similar in an ad in the newspaper(!) here in Vancouver. The area code is not the same as ours (604) so googled it. Linked up to several auto forum threads saying it was a shady dealer.

8. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Milford auto mall is in Milford, and the area code is 508, not 617.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's true, but a lot of people have cell phones with area codes outside of where they live or work. I ran the number on 800notes and there are no reports.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  11. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Aside from being used car delaers, what is the scam?

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Misrepresenting who they are and their intentions. They claim to be mutual friends of "Bob", and that they are simply collectors and restorers. In reality, they have no relationship with potential sellers, and are themselves, simply brokers flipping cars. Dishonesty is not a great way to begin a business transaction, and while it may work out fine, does not bode well for potential sellers, thus the warning.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  13. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Ok, I get it.

But it's not some deal where they are taking deposits and not delivering value. It's just a misleading sales pitch.