Shift Seal Leaking Internally | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Shift Seal Leaking Internally

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Jan 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I was able to get the inner seal out but it took some doing. Getting the new X seal in was difficult too but it is in properly with no incident regarding the retaining washer which seems to be held in place to a better degree. My oil pan was showing some dampness so I am replacing the pan gasket as well. The outer retaining ring popped out when I got too forceful with a curved screwdriver that I was working with to remove the seal. The outer retaining washer is now seated, and I am going to stake it today as a means to prevent it from popping out when shifting.

The old seals were hard and difficult to remove.

thorn likes this.
  2. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Here is a picture of the retaining washer staked in. Looks like I need one more at around 0430 hours. The block is very soft. It was quite a bit easier to move block metal Image Unavailable, Please Login than it was staking in the new front sight on my 1911.

absostone and miketuason like this.
  3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Ask your dentist of a couple of old picks, next time you 'visit.'

They'll usually 'cough-up' a couple.

DO NOT mention '... for gun cleaning' unless you KNOW he/she is a shooter.

IF they are, then by all means mention it.

They then might even 'UP' the number of picks they give you.

Last time I asked for 'a couple' and walked away with over 20 old picks of various shapes.

4. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    ARRGGHHHH!!!! I can't take it anymore! Those are called Explorers, not picks. You can buy a set of them at Harbor Freight for much less than Tommy or I have to pay. They aren't very strong vis a vis pulling anything stuck in a car.

thorn likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You're so picky. ;)

6. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I have dental picks that I obtained from a dentist. I was not able to remove the 32 year old seals with them so I made a stout one. It was a little bit too stout and I managed to pop out the external retaining ring.

I hope the X seals loosen with use. They are fairly tight.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hm, I thought dentists have the best of the best. Back when my daughter had braces, one of the spring came loose and was poking her in the mouth. I tried to snip it with my automotive side cutter and it did not make a dent. The dentist just cut it off with his cutter, like that.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Why I never use them.

waymar likes this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    did you oil the seals first?

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    They will, but it won't happen overnight - mine took a couple of thousand miles.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Stock seals work fine and don't have that issue.

12. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I imagine they probably do. Like most people when I did it I was looking for what was theoretically a "better solution" (I had the engine out at the time & it was a "while you are in there" job).

As is sometimes the case what seemed to be a good idea had unintended/unexpected consequences & they took longer to loosen up than I would have hoped for/expected. On the other side of that, they have loosened up & theoretically they should be a good , long lasting solution (at least they better be!) . You pays your money...….:)

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And what was not a good long lasting solution about what we had? Most I replace are so old they are hard and break on removal. It takes a very long time for rubber to do that.
    Improvement is good but I have yet to see an improvement.

14. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I did oil up the X seals prior to inserting the shift shaft. I also wonder if I made the right decision in not using the standard seals. After all, the originals lasted 32 years. Can't complain about that. I don't like the tightness of the X seals.

Yesterday I put the engine oil pan back on. Gaskets for oil and tranny pan were purchased from Ricambi. I have reattached the shift rod yokes and turn buckle. I had carefully measured the distance from the end of the shift rod threaded section where it gets larger in diameter to the end of the yoke with the transmission in neutral with spring loaded balls in place so nothing moved inside the tranny. Used calipers so distance is accurate.

Tomorrow I'll add engine oil. Will also close up the tranny tomorrow. I have Permatex Red RTV and a new gasket. Will the red RTV suffice?

One other question. Is the at rest engine oil level above or below the shift rod? I installed the dip stick this morning and would have to take it off again to determine this. So if anyone knows for sure, it would save me some work.

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    The x rings I installed on mine have no stiffness.

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I haven't done the math of "volume of oil" vs "dimensions of sump", but I suspect the rod is somewhat submerged in oil at rest. (Thus oil will leak from the front, if a bad seal.) There's 9+ qts down there at full rest. Otherwise, why would we drain the oil to do this procedure?

Some people use no sealant - and I believe that's the best approach if you can make that work for you. I'm not a fan of Permatex Red for the pan seals (or other seals on the car made of that paper/laminate material). I use Permatex Ultra Black when I find sealant necessary. Be sure to observe the cure/torque times. Also be sure you torque the pan nuts in the correct order. Trust me, it ends badly (eventually) if you don't.

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    you need to use the Permatex for gear oil on the cambio pan. I use a thin smear on both pans

18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    What is the correct order? I don’t remember reading that anywhere.

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    kinda like a valve cover or head bolts,,, x pattern from center out. criss cross like

thorn likes this.
  20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    As above. And do the full torque over 2-3 passes, not all at once.

kiwiokie and absostone like this.
  21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    the sealant I use says to finger tight and sit for one hour. then torque. I do a x pattern over multiple times till I reach torque

22. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Engine oil level is considerably above the shift rod. Oil volume is over two gallons. A gallon is 231 cubic inches. Oil pan is 5" X 15" so about 75 square inches. Divide 462+ by 75 and you get over 6 inches of oil standing in the pan. Shift rod is definitely submerged.

I followed the instruction on the Permatex packaging for the oil pan which agrees with you advisors are saying.

absostone likes this.
  23. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Looks like the sealant will be Permatex 81182, gear oil RTV.

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yes that's what ive used. I also use stat o seal washers on the studs

25. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    If oil is getting to the studs and dripping down past the nut (which the studs are in a blind hole) then your gasket seal failed. Just saying.....

I use klingersil gaskets dry with no oil leaks. But others have various opinions I’m sure.....