430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube | Page 6 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia being converted to manual transmission, video series on YouTube

Discussion in '360/430' started by f355spider, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    So much hate-r-aids.....

2. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    Fun day here at the auctions,lota of people are asking about the scud, great feedback. Met the boys from Kindigit Design and my wife got a photo with Richard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

one4torque and 360trev like this.
  3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Gl w the auction el jefe’

4. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    Thank you Jeff

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    As a Scud owner who’s driven 7k miles and a die-hard manual lover, I think this conversion is the coolest thing ever. Would I personally do it? No. Too much cost and uncertainty with value of the car. If i was a multi-millionare with money to throw around, I would probably do it... but to a high mileaged or lower valued car to start with.

The only car I would consider trading in my Scud for (similar value) at the moment is a 991.2 GT3 manual and I don’t even like Porsches all that much. But the thrill of a manual driving experience in a high performance car is undeniable. Porsche got it right when they finally offered a manual option for the GT3.

For road cars and even track cars, I prefer engagement over raw speed or even the fastest lap times. If you’re “racing,” then you would want every edge possible and paddle shift would be the clear choice.

I’ve seen Ferraris BUTCHERED beyond belief. Putting a unique Ferrari together with mostly Ferrari parts, I am fine with. This is just one Scud out of many. I only wished there were better videos of the driving experience. Great video quality and I appreciate the effort, but common guys... you gotta drive that thing. We want to know what it feels like to drive a manual Scud through your videos. Shifting below 4K RPM doesn’t do anything for anyone.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    A nice well considered post.

The good thing about this conversion in my mind is in fact that you don't really need to be worrying about depreciation since actually it's fully reversible. In a few days the factory mechanical bits can be swapped back over, the gearbox itself isn't even touched during the entire conversion, just the actuation which bolts on to the side. These facts to me eliminate majority of the worry about value either way. Personally I would pay more to have a more pure driving experience just like for many people who think the same about the Porsche you quoted.

Actually the vast majority of parts used where genuine Ferrari parts too, only potentially tricky element is getting all computers re-flashed and re-coded which I'm sure they would help you with if you bought it and wanted to convert back.

As for the video, I don't think they had the time, literally ran out to do a better one. I'm hoping to see a better video soon too.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    So this Stripeless 2008 Nero Scud w/ 11k miles auctioned for $220k?

It’s probably safe to say a standard Scud with these specs probably would not have fetched this price. At the same time, I don’t know if much of a profit came out of this project.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Might have fetched more if a nice driving video was made, but what do I know.

9. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    The expereince was something else. Not enough time, not enough exposure, and little education. Out of all the bidders 90% of the misconception was that we dropped the SF Transmission out of the car and went swapped in a base F430 Transmission. There was a lot of great feedback but the car didnt bring the money.

10. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    While I want to congratulate you on finishing the build, which I think was a great idea, I also want to remind you that on the ferrari Facebook page you (or the hype man you work with, I can't remember which) called all of us idiots who didn't believe it would fetch a million and that come auction time we would look stupid. I believe you would have had much more support from the ferrari world with more humility and I hope you approach your future projects that way.

11. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    What others do or say is beyond my control, but i apogize on their behalf. I learned alot from this project which will push us into greater territory and just the hands on knowledge to me is irreplaceable. After today we are stronger.

12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Here here, I look forward to doing the 458 conversion with you Art!

_TS and Merrick Harding like this.
  13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    $220K? Didn't bring the money? Honestly, I think that's a real good price and result. I think you should be very pleased.

Merrick Harding, ar4me and absostone like this.
  14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Remember the 599 at Amelia that started the stick craze? I think that's what they were hoping for. This might be the difference of rare factory vs conversion.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Looking forward to the 'next' project.......... and unlike myself being a keyboard cowboy..... actually doing this with a rather large capex in play.... i respect that.... please keep on with your path sir(s).

can't wait to see what come next...... 458 gated?

Merrick Harding likes this.
  16. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    What a joke for those clowns that put a 6 speed Stick in a Scuderia , well they really screw it up this is real laugh, the Scud . went for by the time all the Commission are taken off other things they walk home with maybe $150,000 what a waste time and money and for WHAT doing the 6 speed stick, they should of left it it alone would of got more money .

17. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    The Scud. went for 200k less commission and other expenses walk away with 150k

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Perhaps all of the attention went to the new GR Supra, which fetched $2.1 million!!

Plot Twist: new owner makes proper videos , markets car and fetches $350k.

How were you able to instill any confidence with bidders the conversion worked 100%? I sure had my doubts judging from videos. Yet someone still was willing to take a risk and pay more than market value for a Scud with no stripes , weird red alcantara seats with yellow stitching.

I really hope the new owner puts out some proper videos. And like Dave said, the OC Housewives drama is unnecessary unless you’re trying to promote your channel/content for entertainment. Gas Monkey provided decent entertainment rebuilding the F40, but come time to put down $$$, ain’t noone taking that car seriously.

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I actually think $220k is a very, very, very good sale price for the seller. IMO selling at more than it would have in its original F1 configuration. Whether enough to recover cost of conversion and original acquisition cost, no idea... And unlike above, I don't think any marketing is going to magically make this car sell for $350k anytime soon.

one4torque and Dave rocks like this.
  20. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’ve been following this thread and I don’t have a strong opinion on the project. Niche market within a niche market. First one and an untested specimen in the eyes of a potential buyer.

Also, I wonder if the original parts were offered with the sale it would have been better. Personally I don’t mind mods so long as the original parts are part of the deal.

IMHO think the sale would have maybe fetched more of a premium if this thread was less transparent to the failures and experimentation.

Imagine if the videos and posts were edited to make //Art and his guys seem in total control and just solve the problems without the candid and dramatized failures. I understand the vibe they were after but most consumers like to keep certain roles on an unrealistic pedestal.

Imagine for a minute //Art as a surgeon in the O.R. Are there mishaps which require problem solving. Are there some failures, even when the final outcomes are ultimately successful. Yes of course. Are those the videos the hospital releases to instill confidence in their surgeon’s technique?

Also just seems the build got a shot of legitimacy once 360trev got involved. Nothing against //Art but those videos did not instill confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dave rocks likes this.
  21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    perhaps you really don't want to see how that sausage was made...... agree with this point.

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's not that. I'm sure the producer of the videos had the drama plan. We (sadly) live in a world where people apparently don't have enough drama in their own lives and therefore need 10 real housewives or Orange County Chopper shows. I guess the masses prefer this baloney over true documentaries. I'm not one.

I respect this project from a technical standpoint even though it's not something I would do. IMO, the videos would have been far more interesting as a documentary.

imahorse likes this.
  23. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I agree with you Dave, and 1-4tq’s prior. They should have either chosen to dramatize it as a mod for a Customer and see if they could u-tube (etc) it.

Or use it as propaganda to show their brilliance to the potential buyer. Can’t have both.

24. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    For me here’s the problem. I’m a rather ordinary guy, solidly middle class. I aspire to own a scud, and with some capital manipulation I could. But for me it would have to be a potential investment grade car. This particular project car is for either someone with enough capital to take a loss on a modded now “storied” car (not my opinion but if selling it I can just imagine). I.e. I have enough money and I want what I want.

Verses the speculative risk of the car’s value rising. Owning a scuderia as an investment is speculative enough, let alone a modded one. That’s why I can’t fathom it for me.

For some more wealthy person cool. Would I like to drive it, damn straight. Does //Art have balls, yup. But was it his 200+k investment on the line prob not. Was his reputation at stake (probably worth a lot more than 200k) yes. He did after all pull it off with some technical help.

Dave rocks likes this.
  25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's a cool project and I think it sold for a good number and likely won't trade for much more than that in the near future. Remember the 6-speed Stradale (136834 ) car sold for $200k or so a few months back? It was listed as high up as 250, but sat for so long it finally had a price cut and it sold. Similar market so similar price...

There's a 599 GTO 6-speed conversion in California posted on Instagram a while back...not sure whatever happened to that.