2010 Ferrari California Roof Malfunctioning - Caused Dent! | FerrariChat

2010 Ferrari California Roof Malfunctioning - Caused Dent!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DrFeelGood, Jan 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    It's been raining all week so I've had the top up and the sun finally came out today. While putting the top down, I heard a loud "CLUNK" and looked back to find the right side of the roof closed much higher than the left (at an angle). Once I put the top up, I noticed a dent on that side of the roof.

I'm not getting any error messages and the roof goes down right up to the point where it's about to complete. Does anybody know what could be causing this? I've checked for obstruction in the trunk and there is nothing obvious. I'm attaching pictures hoping someone can help get this resolved.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry to learn of your mishap. How long have you owned the car? When was it last serviced by the dealer? The location of the dent on the roof panel would provide a clue.

From your photos I believe you mean the dent is on the passenger side of the roof. You do not show a photo of the roof damage but here's a photo of that portion of the roof on my car. The red circle I inserted shows the lowest point of the rear window panel which is positioned over the roof panel, where your dent probably is. I think it may be part of a latch that secures the rear window panel to the roof panel.

There could be several reasons why the "latch" struck the roof panel. The roof panel may have failed to lower fully to get out of the way of the window panel or the roof mechanism has moved out of alignment, jammed and then suddenly released. When the jam released the momentum of the suddenly moving window panel could have caused it to overshoot and strike the roof panel below. The mechanism then stopped moving because it is still misaligned. It could also be a problem with the hydraulic circuit not applying even action to left and right sides of the roof mechanism.

IMO, these roofs are delicate complex proprietary mechanisms that make them unsuitable for a DIY repair as you can easily cause worse damage.

To avoid further damage I would not operate the roof and bring the car in to your regular service garage.

DrFeelGood likes this.
  3. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    Thank you. The dent is in fact on the passenger side. I did stop by an indy and he had no idea what the problem was but what you've displayed makes sense. I guess I need to go back and use your post as a reference. I guess hoping that it resolves on its own is not an option!

4. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    I've owned the car for about 4 months and it was serviced by the former owner not long before that. I bought it out of state and haven't established a relationship with a service garage yet.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Might be worth a trip to your closest Ferrari dealer, if that's a viable option.
    T

6. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Happened to me w my 2010. Theres a post about here maybe 5 yrs ago. Car was under warranty , I bought it from f dealer maybe 6 months earlier,,, after a couple back and forths they covered the dent repair the hydraulic issue was obviously covered.

DrFeelGood likes this.
  7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Since you've only had it for 4 months the problem may have been there already when you bought the car. If so, this would mean the seller or the factory is responsible (if the problem was found and mentioned before the warranty expired).

In any case, you should examine the complete service record to see if there was any problem or unusual complaint that may have been caused by the same defect. It's then up to you to convince the seller that he is responsible for repairs.

With any exotic car, your relationship with a competent and honest service garage is the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in the quality of your ownership experience. IMO, if you don't have one and are not competent to fix the car yourself, you shouldn't own the car.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    DrFeelGood likes this.
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Tom, the OP says his roof is dented. Just closing the trunk lid won't resolve this dent or prevent another one. The dent is a bigger problem than the lid not sitting even or closing fully. He has to find out why the dent occurred and fix that and then the car has to go to a "proper" body shop.

10. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    Yes. Unfortunately, I came on to mention that I'd seen that thread when I was searching for a solution before my original post and it seemed unrelated. I gave it a shot tonight anyway and found the part shown on that thread are symmetrical on my car (see pictures). I'm also including a pictures of the dent in case it helps troubleshoot this.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ ☹️
    I had hoped there might be something in those threads of use to the OP.
    T

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Looks like you have a dent at the same location as I had on my car back in 2013. FWIW, I have posted many times on the issue of roof dents and failures. My car was also dented - TWICE. Here's one thread that's actually titled "california roof dents".

Here's a photo I uploaded years ago of the (first) dent on my car.

Finally, here's a close-up of my dented car roof - this was the 2ND TIME IT GOT DENTED (same spot). My dealer thought they had fixed the problem and repaired the dent, only to have it happen again to me as soon as I got the car back. This photo shows the 2nd time the same spot got dented.

This is one of the reasons why I suggested you check the service records of the car. Your car may have been dented before and the roof was then repaired, but the cause of the dent may not have been resolved. The fact your roof is wrapped makes it difficult (impossible) to detect it was repainted.

Anyway, in my case, my dealer figured out the problem which turned out to be a slight misalignment in the roof mechanism when the car was originally assembled at the factory. It took a long time to figure out but it's now 5 years later and the problem has not returned.

tomc likes this.
  13. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    @4th_gear wow! Looks very similar! Do you by any chance have any specific details from your service that I'd be able to share with my local dealer? My intention is to reduce the likelihood of going back-and-forth until they figure it out (and, ideally, avoid a second occurrence after it's "fixed").

14. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    So here's an interesting plot twist. As a last ditch effort, I reconditioned the battery overnight. I gave it a try just now and the top went down perfectly aligned. Do you guys think I should still take it into the dealership?

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do you know how old your battery is? The OEM batteries are a known weak spot in many recent F-cars, Cali included. And, weak batteries seem to be responsible for a host of odd gremlins. I keep mine on the conditioner religiously.
    T

16. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    I'm not sure how old it is but I'd been driving the car pretty regularly these past few weeks, if not daily.

tomc likes this.
  17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The cause of my roof dents was #2 of the 3 possible causes I described earlier.

The battery powers the hydraulic pump and probably some small motors in the roof panel kinematic mechanism but any deficiency in the battery capacity cannot by itself result in the dent on your roof panel or else there would be an endless flood of dents on these cars. The dent on your car was likely caused by a misalignment or fault in your roof kinematic mechanism as it was with my car.

There should be a date code inscribed on the battery case, usually on the top. You have to refer to the manufacturer to decode it. However, if your battery is made in Italy, as with a FIAMM battery, then it's almost certainly the original one. They weren't defective or weak, they just weren't kept on tenders during their long trip over from Italy on a container ship and some sustained damage as a result and the dealers did not check for that or replace them with new ones. The new owners of the cars became their "battery testers".

The battery tender is meant to be used all the time. Even if you drive your car every day, if you take short trips or if you make a lot of stops, it's not enough and you're actually draining the battery.

DrFeelGood likes this.
  18. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    @4th_gear thank you for the valuable information. What mode do you recommend keeping the battery tender on if I'm driving it fairly regularly? My CTEK (7002) has regular, cold, supply, and recond modes. I'm in Southern California so cold is probably never needed but I'm not sure which mode I should use on a regular basis.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you have HELE (Start/Stop), then charge in snowflake mode...T

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael