Wheel paint | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Wheel paint

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Oct 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Did anyone manage to finalise the paint code?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No way is that a "rolled" paint finish...sorry.

I don't buy that....

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #53 synchro, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    scott, those campy wheels are among the all time great designs in my opinion ! ( the miura wheels are up there also ) . dz

synchro likes this.
  5. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #55 F40-R, Feb 13, 2016
    Guys, this is bugging me badly... I'm so so fussy and I want to make sure that my car is correct. Do my wheels look like they're the correct paint colour? If not, should they be slightly lighter? Any recommended colour codes?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

synchro likes this.
  6. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #56 F40-R, Feb 13, 2016
  7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    If you like them then they are ok.....-:) I am also on the look out for the "correct" color but it is a ghost search. No really paint codes exist, to my knowledge, that can be transferred into a modern paint system like Nexa or similar. Only quotes like "slightly darker than Mercedes silver" and "add 30% matting ingrediens to a non traceable paint from Italy" and so on. If anyone can describe the "real" color in a ordinary modern paint system code that can mixed today then please speak up. Thanks God I still have the original paint on the inside of my L serie wheels that the painter can try to replicate, but even that looks a bit on the dark side and maybe 47 years has affected the tone? I guess color is matter of personal when it comes to fact....My conclusion based on what I have read is that the paint shall not be too silver like and not too shinny......I am painting my wheels next week so any comments appreciated.

Best regards Peter

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    looks perfect.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    any updates on the correct paint code?

10. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I also agonized over this decision. Must not be too bright, then it does not look period correct. Must not be too dark and greyish either, that brings down the whole visual impression of the car.

Here is what I settled on. It also happens to be almost exactly the same silver color as used on Alfa Romeo steel wheels in the late 60's, so it is both Italian approved and period correct. I am very pleased with the result and never looked back:

BMW Polaris Silver 060. (Or Polaris Metallic 060)

Used on BMW 3-series E21 cars between 1974 and 1979 among others, so it can easily be duplicated by any paint shop. See cross reference chart below. From 1979 to 1986 it was called New Polaris 060, 900 , but was essentially the same color if I understand the chart correctly.

http://www.paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=BMW&gncl=Silver

Here are two photos of my car in slightly different light conditions. In the second photo with more overcast conditions, the wheels do not draw attention to themselves, They just blend in. To me, they look just right.

Happy New Year everyone!
    Lars

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ did you use semigloss clear coat?

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I posted my BMW 2002 Campagnolo find, asking the same question.

Are both brands the same color?
    Here, I can certainly pull a sample.

Regards and Happy New Year to all in Dinoland!

Alberto

13. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Yes, semi-gloss clearcoat. Very important, forgot to mention that. Thanks for reminding me.

The semi-gloss coating makes a world of difference. I had previously had a set of Giulietta wheels done with the same paint but with the regular clearcoat. They looked completely wrong. You could not look at the car without staring at those shiny wheels. I had to ask the painter to sand them down and apply a coat of semi-gloss. Then they looked fine.

14. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I would think the factory would not use a clear coat. I thought most wheels were stove enameled. Not that a clear coat is bad, I just don't think Cromodora would have done it back in the day. Of course, I could be wrong.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I am back to pop in and say, I stopped on my refinishing....as :"modern wheel paint silver " by Duplicolor is way wrong.

The original Cromodoras are both "darker' silver and if I had to guess, it has a greenish cast to it, or possibly based upon the green zinc phosphate primer.
    I don't think it's age discoloration at all..

Thanks for the lead on BMW color, all I can do now is search for a "darker" silver amoung paint finishes or the hardware store!!
    Frustrating I am trying to finish this to mount the tires!

synchro likes this.
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are correct, OEM finish was single stage.

I think they are saying IF using a modern 2 stage clear coat, it should be matted down, as the reference above to "mixed colors" contains!

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Glad you see it too!

Blue.....green......it has a cast to it......that's where a good professional painter that can "tint" is worth the eight in gold...

18. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Lars,
    Your Dino looks amazing. Well Done!
    Cheers,
    Coop

19. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Coop, thank you. It is still a work in progress, with lots of issues to address. But I love it!
    Lars

20. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  21. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You should retake the picture but with that original wheel next to one on the car...in your photo, they look awfully dark to me.