488 Replacement | Page 72 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    But it would be production limited like LaFerrari right?

2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Nope it is going to be a regular production car

gowthamn likes this.
  3. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Big brother is expected by 2021 right? It will be a V8 turbo?

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It's expected to debut at this years Monaco GP - I suggest reading the last 20 pages of this thread There's a lot of good information

gowthamn likes this.
  5. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Even BB is a Turbo? :(

If I am looking for a Naturally Aspirated Hybrid sports car around $400k , then Ferrari is not a brand for me?

6. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Interesting, I wonder if the F1 organization is involved in the presentation too, it would be a great marketing event

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    As currently understood, the only Ferrari NA hybrid sports cars will be the mid-front engine flagship V12s and the limited halo cars and maybe some of the later Icona limited cars along the way (my guess).

8. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    That's sad. I don't know how sporty the V12s will be compared to mid-engine and rear-engine cars like Porsche which I am used to. I don't want to go to Lamborghini because its too flamboyant, but looks like I will be forced to.

Solid State likes this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Based on your history you would likely not be a mid-front engine buyer IMO. If you haven't driven a recent Ferrari NA V12 flagship then you should do so just for the experience. You feel the weight more and have to drive it differently but it is the heart of the brand historically. Power is massive and instantaneous without gimmicks and the sound is among the most pleasant ever made of any production engine. However, I think you're going for sound, power and light weight toss-ability. That means mid or rear engine but your going to have to put up with turbo's, small engines, low RPM torque and crappy sound on most alternatives. Best.

day355 and gowthamn like this.
  10. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Will try out the V12s. Currently in a wait list for a 992 GT3 RS. That is rear engine and an NA and revs to 9000 or more. But it's not at the same league as a Ferrari.

Solid State likes this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    In a previous post , the well informed ferr9000 talked about 2020 as a " year full of surprises "
    In the Ferrari roadmap , they announced 15 new models by 2022 .
    I wouldn't be surprised if they have decided to produce a "modern " testarossa with a rear hybrid V12 .

12. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Like I've said before, if the FL isn't any faster than the Pista, then Ferrari will surely lose to its competition for the next two and a half years. Is it really that difficult to give the car more power? The 720S has around 780 hp and yet it's very accessible.

13. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The 992 RS won’t be unveiled for several more years (Turbo S and GT3 happen first). The engine is pure speculation however it is very likely to remain NA (possibly with hybrid assist).

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Arguably, the 812 drives better than the Aventador. I wouldn't dismiss it without driving it first.

15. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    #1790 jim g, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Probably, as long as it's a big enough change from the 488 I'm still not entirely convinced this is happening. As others have said the V8 pattern goes back quite far with a 5 year face lift and an entirely new model every 10 years. As I've been saying I see little sense in selling a face lift of the 488 that wouldn't arrive in the US until Dec 2019 or January 2020 and introducing the V6 on the new platform 12 to 18 months later. I might pass on FL if they do that. I'm still hoping for the new platform to be shown next month,. I'm thinking V8 BB might be too expensive. We'll see soon.

16. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Comments like these really make me giggle.......there is a lot more that makes a car than just headline power stats and 0.1 sec here or there. Do you genuinely believe that this is the only motivating factor behind a purchase? Relax, take a deep breath, Ferrari will be fine......

WM458, stavura, 4_Eff_Sake and 2 others like this.
  17. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I agree no one should dismiss the 812. It's as fast as a Pista around Fiorano.

18. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    It'll sell even more than 720S, no doubt. :p But I meant performance.

19. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    how many miles the bb can go on pure ev mode? my guess is 80-120 miles.

20. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Yes 4 to 5 more years. But it's confirmed to be NA.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    They need a production rear midengine V12 Hybrid because I want one :p:p:p

Jelial and Shack like this.
  22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Probably a minimum of 51 miles to meet the China rules

23. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009

I agree that the whole package and experience is the most important factor when purchasing an exotic for most of us. However, I also agree that Ferrari needs to step up their game in terms of performance as the competition is fierce. A difference in acceleration of 0.1sec doesn’t tell the story. In reality the 720s goes 0-124mph in 7.2 sec (Mclaren states 7.8 but it’s much faster) and the 488 gtb does the same in 8.6 sec and the Pista in 7.6 sec. That’s bus lengths!! So it’s much more than 0.1sec. Not to mention the braking, skid pad , lap times etc. I love Ferrari and have owned many but if they want to attract new customers (younger) they need to step up their game !!

SoCal to az and F2003-GA like this.
  24. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    The FL will be called a new model and yet it has the same power output of a Pista and heavier? Doesn't make any sense. Was the 488 GTB slower than the 458 Speciale? No.

I know it's only been an year. But they can't call it a new model and just make it slower than the previous model. That's preposterous.

It makes sense with Huracan Evo. It's only a facelift and it's still the Huracan. Lamborghini can't make the Evo any better than the Performante. But Ferrari can.

25. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    720 does not have 780 hp unless it’s tuned. It’s closer to 720.

As far as Ferrari losing to the competition- who do you think wins in the end? The competion puts out a car that outdoes the Ferrari. Ferrari responds and outdoes the competion, and so it goes.

It’s just good that there is competion because we all win with better cars.

The future is bright for car enthusiasts.