Considering An F512 M | FerrariChat

Considering An F512 M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I'm considering adding an F512 M to my collection and I'd love to hear from other owners regarding their ownership experience. Though I have owned a few Ferrari's over the years, and I currently have two exceptional cars (89 328 GTB and 99 355 F1 Berlinetta), I've never owned a 12 cylinder. While I like the Testarossa and the 512 TR, I'm really only interested in a F512 M. Also, I'm an intense purist (even when other options are better) and would love some perspective on finding and sourcing OEM parts. Please offer any thoughts on your ownership experiences. Thank you.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    TR trim and body parts, rubber etc are getting a bit hard to get. While you can get something that works in most cases getting the exact correct thing is a bit difficult in some cases. An example, the door seals. Early TR superseded to the TR512/M parts. Looks different but works fine. Now neither is available. There is generic rubber that works but is a little different. Ferrari may reintroduce it but when? The foam under the hood deteriorates and is currently NLA. I have looked high and low and have yet to find replacement foam that looks the same. You would have to buy one for an early TR for $700+ and cut it down to fit. The 512M badge on the rear is NLA. That is life with old Ferrari's and what we deal with for all of them given enough time. If the part is in big enough demand it may get reproduced but reproductions are not always all that good. For years much of the reproduced rubber for cars of the 60's wasnt that good and we suffered with it until someone went to the expense of making quality replacements but then the cars were getting to be worth enough it became worthwhile.

Lots of mechanical parts are NLA but in most cases they can be reproduced to a very high standard and possibly for less than Ferrari would sell them for. Transmission parts are a good example. Many are NLA but I am the US exclusive agent for Modena Engineering and can supply better than OE for less than Ferrari would.
    Also you need a mechanic willing to think out of the box and be willing to deal with all of that to produce a finished product at the level you want.

sherrillt, SAFE4NOW, AClark and 6 others like this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Brian - thanks for the detailed info.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You find a countach yet?

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Same goes for interior parts. The center console often breaks. We fix them often as they are NLA. Some day we may reproduce them.

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Not yet

7. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    One of the best overall sport cars I’ve ever driven. Than there is the amazing looks, at least for me. The engine is perfection!

ag512bbi and Boomhauer like this.
  8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I wish Ferrari would have spent more time in designing on the tunnel console. It predates such a work of art car. I wish someone
    would make it in carbon.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Carbon is totally out of charterer for a car of that period.

I wish it had never been considered as an aesthetic design feature for anything.

10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I think it is fitting on new stuff and I get it on the old. You would have to have more than the one item in the interior for it to work okay.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Even if you like the look (I dont) it was grotesquely over used already several years ago.

12. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    Which one were you looking at?

http://www.f512m-usa.net/

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    You know my opinion.
    Love my car!

Rossocorsa1 and Xtreme5053 like this.
  15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks for the tips. I’ve looked into the Marshall Goldman car but, as usual for them, they are asking a crazy number. If anyone knows of a superb red/tan example for sale please let me know.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They are rare enough buy condition and not color. Besides if you plan on showing it like the other 2 an unusual color gets attention.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    FWIW: I don't own one, but when they first came on the scene, I had the amazing opp'y to take one on a good drive thru straights and curvy roads. Loved it. The engine has good power everywhere in the rev range, and sound is delicious. Cornering inspired confidence. More refined than I'm used to, but I'd get over it :rolleyes:. Have fun in your hunt!

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Awesome info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    #19 sixcarbs, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    I was 26 or 27 years old when they were introduced. I got a letter, a real snail mail letter, from Ferrari of San Francisco inviting me to come visit for a test drive day. What a no brainer! I think the factory was doing rotating test days around the country.

They were introducing the 355, the 456, and the 512M.

So I show up and the salesman walks me out to the then new 355 and hands me the keys. He gets in and we jump on the highway, then loops around the backroads of Marin alond the water, back to the dealership. When we cam back to the dealership I asked if I could drive the 512? He said of course. So I was waiting around for a bit and he finally came back and gave me the keys to the 512 and started walking away. I said, "Aren't you coming?" He said, "No, have fun."

I couldn't believe it. This was a brand new 1995 512M! Memory tells me it was yellow. I pull out and jump the 101 freeway next to the dealership. I just remember punching it on the on ramp. It felt like a fighter jet on takeoff. This was my first experience with a V-12. A little time on 101 and then I headed for the same twisty backroads we had just taken the 355, and then back to the dealership. I can't tell you much because at the time it felt a bit surreal. Great times!

If you can buy an M, go for it. It's the last of the line.

Edit: More just came back to me. When I first got off the freeway and headed for the coast road there was some pre-school letting out. I think I blasted down the street like the devil on steroids. It must have sounded like the end of the world to the young mothers picking up their kids. I think they all held them tight as I flew by.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

This is indeed a great road there;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  22. Tokei-ski

Tokei-ski Karting

Nov 4, 2014
    Tokyo/Hawaii
    Full Name:
    The Baron
    Yes this car is a stunner, but not sure about having room on the price. This was originally a Japan car that got sold and resold a couple of times, near the height of the market, so I would imagine that their cost is pretty high. I missed this car when I was on holiday in Hawaii, and contacted the dealer as soon as I got back to Tokyo and saw the ad, but it had already been sold, and was on its way overseas. Here is a link to the original selling dealers ad, with 22 high quality pictures. I am in no way affiliated with either seller, or this car.

http://www.kmauto.jp/vcsMember/stockdetail/0066_544-1_401.html

23. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Hello. I had pm'd you several times regarding your old M that somehow ended up in States. Needed advice in how to import one I had located. Never heard back from you.

24. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006