What next after the 458? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What next after the 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by arkone, Jan 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ruffinit

Ruffinit Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Shir
    That’s crazy that you had one too!! Yes I’ve had mine for 4 yrs and every time I drive it I’m like wow soo analog..they don’t make cars like that anymore lol..good to know about exhaust and 488..I’m gonna drive one this wknd....I drive mine a lot too..hence why aventador is hard purchase bc not easy to drive often! Ha

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Cool, enjoy! Pics of Speciale?
    Speciale is a lot slower but super playful steering makes the perf feel heavy. Both fun cars.

3. DingDIng

DingDIng Rookie

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston tx
    I just bought a 458 Sepciale 6 weeks ago, currently on the waiting list for a GT3RS

plastique999 likes this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    DRPM, iloveferrari and halr75 like this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Congrats!
    What are your initial thoughts?

Sent from my 16M

6. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo

Wow, insane collection! 458 Spec, Perf, G500 4x4? I have the poor versions of all your cars, regular 458, G63, and just ordered a 2014 Vanquish.

Going out to NV to spend some serious time behind the wheel of a Speciale and a Perf back to back. Still leaning towards the Perfomante.

I flew out to CES with some clients and of course to party and LamborghiniLV had a Blu Cepheus Perf for sale, I found out about it Wednesday, flew out Thursday but someone put a deposit on it literally while I was on the plane out there. Turns out my buddy in Texas bought it out under me... :eek:

They do have a Arancio Borealis on the way, have you ever seen that color in person?

Ash Patel and plastique999 like this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Appreciate it !
    Funny I love love Aston’s of the previous generation...have owned 3 in the past and am close to buying another 2010 DBS. Just hate the massive depreciation on them.

Yes definitely drive them both and you’ll fall in love with one.

Arancio Borealis is an older color, common on many of the Gallardos. If you like orange, I’d suggest the Arancio Anthaeus, which is the matt orange.
    P.S. my Perf is still for sale on consignment at Lamborghini Newport Beach. It is the unique Verde Themis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

iloveferrari likes this.
  8. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo
    Not a fan of matte orange or else I would have gotten it as the signature color. Had no idea that Verde Themis was yours! What'd you replace that one with? Another Perf? haha

Any particular reason for the DBS? There is a 3,000 mile example of a Vanquish Centenary edition (#47/100) in Kansas City. $380k sticker and they are asking $140k and offered it to me for just $130k. Gorgeous color with a gradient stripe. I have pictures on my phone of it.

I'll PM you about your Perf. LIke I said, 90% leaning towards it simply because I don't want to write a $250k check on top of my 458 for a Speciale. I'm about to buy a F10 M5 cause I miss mine that I sold about 18 months ago. Got a deal I couldn't pass up.

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    All I'll say is if a Speciale is in one's supercar budget, that should always be the answer.

Outside of that, I highly recommend the GT3 RS. Since you can afford a Perf without problem, I would actually suggest a 991.2 GT3 RS Weissach. Porsche curb appeal is in many ways more attractive than Ferrari or Lambo because Porsche attracts only car enthusiasts. It's a quality vs quantity kind of thing.

plastique999 likes this.
  10. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #35 iloveferrari, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Personally, i think i will just keep the 458 for a much longer time than my usual habit... Its presence with elegance exuding from the flow of the curves on the side profile is really something to look at every time I come home. Mine is grigio titanio and not that many car can outlast my attention span.

I however think that if I can afford one, I will actually pick a tdf in blu scozia to replace the 458.

I am still not sure what color the attached tdf is.

Attached Files:

Roland1688 likes this.
  11. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
  12. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Yes, although that is true, the perf spider does look very sexy.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It’s ok.

What I find so interesting is that in the F’s there’s a mix of thumbs up but a lot of FU from onlookers.
    The Perf has been exclusively positive.

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting, yes despite Ferrari being the most recognized brand in the world, it is odd that I’ve gotten a couple of negative signs from people while driving. Most times, though quite positive.
    In the Perf, you are correct, all positive...perhaps because of the super bright color in mine in Verde Themis.

I just stopped by my dealer and chatted about the new Huracan Evo and it still won’t compare to the hardcore Perf. Evo’s spec’d out will be similar in pricing to the Perf. There were just a couple hundred Perfs in the U.S. and that production has stopped.
    I’m tempted to keep mine now......
    Arkone what did you decide to go with?

Sent from my 16M

15. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Perf production has not stopped. I know two people that have have Mar and Apr build dates to US.

EVO is actually faster (or as fast) than Perf (based upon reviews--and tech and AWS is far beyond).

Talk to my dealer yesterday and he said about $30k spread on equal spec. Said would be Aug for delivery.

Ferrari I got neg as whole, Huracan positive as whole, 720 100% smiles--people love it.

Motorwerks likes this.
  16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I thought all orders for Perf were filled. If not, they will be this year. The Perf is a short run and the Evo obviously, they will make a ton.
    $30k is about right....Evo high spec will be around $300k. My Perf was $330k.
    Evo faster and better technology with torque vectoring, etc. No ALA though. All it means to me is more electrical interference and less visceral.
    Speciale to me feels more raw than the Perf, thus my switch.

Sent from my 16M

IPO1 likes this.
  17. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Don't think they will make a 'ton' of EVO's--according to my dealer. Run will be ~2 years (less than Perf) and then replacement will be around 2021. He did suggest, they will do a EVO 'Perf' style edition at some point--no surprise.

EVO is meant to fill that more DD slot, with the modern touches you mentioned.

Enjoy that Spec. It's a beast and yeah, I'd take it over Perf as well.

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    They will make a ton. Just like SVJ and 600lt and 720s.
    Drive what you like.

Roland1688 and iloveferrari like this.
  19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Like 488, Like Huracan, like fill in the blank. Unless LE, they all make a 'ton'.

Tesla makes a ton :)

Roland1688 and iloveferrari like this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Luckily they do.

21. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo
    Not a fan of Porsche's. I respect their track focusedness (if that's a word) but they are too domesticated looking, even if you spec a crazy color like Acid Green or something. Local dealer has a Racing Yellow .2 GT3RS and it's a goregous car, but I don't view Porsche as an option of it being my only toy car. It'd be different if I could get 2-3 then I'd consider a GT3 or a RS.

I think I've decided on a Perf. The Speciale is awesome, but I want to switch it up. The problem is trying to find the right spec and at the same time figuring out how values of the Perf will be affected by the EVOs. My heart says to go buy a Perf today, but my brain says to wait until the first EVOs drop. I"m seeing nicely optioned out Perfs in the 275-285 range, $300k and you can buy a fully loaded ad personam Perf.

I spoke to multiple dealers about speccing a Perf and was told, the factory closed orders. I'm looking for a Blu Cepheus perf as my first choice but every spec that's for sale has a mismatched interior. Do you know if those two ordered a while back and got a Mar/Apr build dates and are they spiders?

Regarding the whole +/- attitude, I can see why Ferrari has a negative view from the general public. I walked into a Ferrari dealership and the salesman had a stick up their ass and entitled attitude. I walked into LamboLV and the GM let me check out a Centennario and SVJ and even took off the engine bonnet off the SVJ just to show me how sick that car is.

Not bashing on Ferrari, but their dealer network needs to get slapped across the face.

IPO1 and iloveferrari like this.
  22. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes orders were placed last year, but production has not started. One coupe one spider.

Re F car dealer attitude...people are getting sick and tired of that BS and taking $$ elsewhere. It's too easy these days to buy better cars without one ounce of attitude.

Don't think you will regret Perf.

arkone, Motorwerks and tekaefixe like this.
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Perf is a great choice!
    Yes I thought Perf orders were done now with the Evo coming out.
    Get Verde Themis!!!
    The Perf will remain special and a lot lower in production vs the Evo. Evo looks plain to me - they should have put the ALA rear wing on it!
    Nice Perf for $290-300k is a bargain for that car.
    Best of luck and keep us updated!

Sent from my 16M

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Just to toss my hat into the ring here...

Loved my 458 Italia. Best. car. ever. Best Ferrari ever. Never thought I could love another as I did my gated 6 speed 360, but then I fell in love even more with my 458 Italia - complete with its far too heavy electric heated seats.

Thought about going for the 458 Speciale, but as others have mentioned, it's a bit like buying the Italia all over again, sans all the comfort for a long drive.

Foolishly, I bought a 488 GTB. Blah. That made me miss my 458 twice as much as I was already missing it. As soon as humanly possible, I sold the 488. Okay, after driving it a bit, it started to grow on me somewhat. However, by no measure was it even close to the love affair I had had with my Italia.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the 458 Italia is, at least in my opinion, the best V8 Ferrari to ever come out of Italy. I think people who really appreciate what the 458 Italia brings to the table are going to have a very difficult time selling it and moving into another car and ending up being happy.

For me, based on where things currently stand, I think the only route forward [for me] is maybe the 812 Superfast. I've driven that car and based on my limited test drive, it seems to share the magic that the 458 Italia had in my eyes. If you are over 50 and looking to move up from the 458 into something else, that you can really fall in love with, I think probably the 812 Superfast is it. Either that or be smart and don't part with your 458 Italia just yet.

Ray

xfrgtr, m3doc, obbob and 2 others like this.
  25. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I agreed with 99.8% of what you said, except a small caveat. The color of 812... In certain colors, it really does not look good.... Like in yellow the nose is like a dolphin, but in grey color, it looks great. I think I still like the look of F12 better.