360 - Transmission oil / water heat exchanger autopsy | FerrariChat

360 Transmission oil / water heat exchanger autopsy

Discussion in '360/430' started by wbt, Feb 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Situation: 2001 Ferrari 360, 70,000km, excellent service history with receipts almost religiously serviced every 3 years with both coolant and transmission oil changes documented.

I decided to replace the transmission heat exchanger as a preventive maintenance due to the multiple horror stories about these things failing. Upon removing plenum and inspecting the exchanger it was evident it was the original factory fitted item.

Findings:
    Both ends of the exchanger looked ok with little evidence of corrosion of the copper tubes or brass body. After cutting in half it was evident the oil side of the exchanger was very clogged with a gritty, black substance caught between all the copper tubes. The construction of the exchanger is also evident, formed with an inner and outer flow radius, with alternating inner and outer brass rings I assume to force the oil to take a longer flow path around the multiple copper coolant tubes. The amount of black crud clogging the oil side would have made this flow very restricted.

So, it looks like my exchanger was not near failiure, however the blockages on the oil side are quite concerning. I note when doing transmission oil changes the screen filter is usually very clean and the oil comes out looking in top condition. The source of the black grit is a mystery (limited slip diff clutch material?)

I also replaced the plenum intake gaskets which were worse for wear. Overall it was worthwhile maintenance I believe.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7, tifosi101 and whatheheck like this.
  2. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Exchanger out, and old plenum gaskets condition. The bolts holding the plenum down also felt very lightly torqued. All items were placed back at factory prescribed torques, engine given a clean while I was in there. I also re-torqued the head cover nuts which were very loose and slightly seeping oil. Peace of mind for a few years completed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yep. My car was well-maintained (at least after I bought it; there were prior owners), and the exchanger didn’t look like it was near failure. But I also think changing it was a good idea. The intake gaskets are a known issue, too. I’m not surprised at the condition of yours when they were pulled.

Others may think we’re nuts and wait instead for failure to change it. It’s a personal decision.

If you decide to change it, you may want to consider this unit. The maker claims it’s more robust than OEM. I have no affiliation with this and did not learn of it until after I did mine.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F311688625410

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Thx for the share. I see this in my future.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I did the same thing last year, it just makes sense to replace it while you have the plenum off. It's right there and the price you pay for the part is far less expensive than the failure. This was mine after 55k miles.

[​IMG]

tifosi101 and Need4Spd like this.
  6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1

I changed mine during my first major after purchasing the car.
    I also installed that unit you wrote about. It is special built by the distributor and a side-by-side comparison showed the difference.
    I am happy with it.

Anthony 360 F1 and Need4Spd like this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A plate heat exchanger would be a far better bit of kit , at least you could clean both sides.

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Good call on your part. The exchanger on my 430 failed and caused all kinds of problems. Mechanic had to pull the transmission and clean and inspect every part of it.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I do not believe in 3 year oil changes on anything in the car. I have seen in my own clients cars less transmission problems, specifically syncro wear with annual changes. The sludge in the heat exchanger supports my position. Should be annual changes.

One of the top theories on heat exchanger failure is too high oil pressure in the exchanger due to clogging from sludge overstressing already weak solder joints.

Need4Spd and Red 27 like this.
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Are the tube ends expanded or soldered into the tube plate ?

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never cut one apart but the ones I have seen had a lot of solder work in them.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I was looking at the end plate and you can see the tube end is sort of pushed over- this is what they look like when they are expanded with a tube roller into the end plate. The ones i used to work on , in the steam turbine ships had about 6500 tubes about 22 feet long and say 3/4 inch bore- a lot of tubes to put a tube cleaning brush through when you had a condenser clean on the go.

13. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    OK, it's my turn to ask a dumb question.
    Knowing that MOST of us idle our cars for a bit before we drive off and MOST of us don't drive them in bad weather (rain or snow)
    what's the harm in bypassing the HX? I change my rad fluid and gear oil every 2 years.

14. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    The most misunderstood part of the heat exchanger is the role it plays in warming the gearbox up quickly. I believe this is the primary reason ferrari have installed it. So, remove it and replace with a loop of hose or a small radiator/fan and everything will work for a while, but the gearbox won't ever get up to temperatures the engineers intended so the unintended consequences of this could be very bad. Not a risk I would take.

Construction of the exchanger itself appears to be swaged copper tubes to form something of a mechanical seal (tube end to brass plate) at each end followed up by poured molten brass or similar yellow metal around each end. Definitely not a standard tin or lead solder by the colour of the metal.

tifosi101 likes this.
  15. nd84gp

nd84gp Rookie

Apr 13, 2016
    Full Name:
    Gerhard
    How much hours does it take to replace the heat exchanger if it's done as seperate work?

BR
    Gerhard

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It took me about 3 months

17. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the formation of sludge when the transmission oil comes out looking new every time it is changed. I would think there is some indicator in the fluid, however cannot disagree with the evidence shown in this thread. My '99 Modena fluid always looks new.... although I only have around 25K on the odo.

18. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    It's not sludge, it's a very grainy black substance consistency much more like sand or flakes of friction material. Interestingly the oil always comes out clean and the tranny screen filter spotless. I should also clarify my initial statement, I have every reason to believe transmission oil was changed annually, with a major service every 3 years doing belts / coolant.

19. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I'm mechanically minded and have a lot of experience working on cars in general. First time doing this on my 360 took me 8 hours. Doing it again I think I could do it in 4-5 hours. An experienced Ferrari tech should be event faster. Having skinny arms helps getting to the bolts under the plenum though :)