Champion 3415 for direct fire ignition no threaded connector | FerrariChat

Champion 3415 for direct fire ignition no threaded connector

Discussion in '308/328' started by henrygondorf, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henrygondorf

henrygondorf Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    NOLA
    Ordered a new set of plugs for the 308 and the caps are no longer threaded on the champion plugs, so I order NGK(GR5GP), guess what same thing.

Anyone got a recommendation of a plug to match the champion 3415 spec that has a threaded cap for a 308 spark plug extender?
    I talked to Nick he said he's never had this problem, I bought the champion from rock auto and the NGK on ebay.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    NOW I know how I will finally make my fortune, building a jig to support spark plugs and turning them down to the threaded standard!

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Most would use:

Iridium electrode- more expensive, but much longer life and more resistant to fouling
    NGK BPR5EIX (6597) -- for low-speed street driving short trips
    NGK BPR6EIX (6637)
    NGK BPR7EIX (4055) -- for extended high-speed driving

Standard electrode
    NGK BPR5ES (7734) -- for low speed street driving short trips
    NGK BPR6ES (7131)
    NGK BPR7ES (5534) -- for extended high-speed driving

What model 308? For a carbed 308, I'd opt for the Iridium NGK just for the better resustance to fouling -- JMO.

On a similar note, I just put new NGK plugs in the wife's 2016 MB C300, and the whole insulator/connection of the spark plug is a totally different design from what we would consider "normal".

4. henrygondorf

henrygondorf Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    NOLA
    308 GTSI 1980
    Steve good to hear from you, been a long time, I've owned the car for 20 years now, going to be selling next year.
    Kelly (tifosi1)
    New Orleans

5. henrygondorf

henrygondorf Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    NOLA
    Steve just to confirm, all the plugs you list will work with Nick's direct fire ignition system?

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't see anything on Electromotive's website saying its XDi ignition system needs anything special, or restricted, spark plug-wise (but have no direct information).

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #7 thorn, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    I ran the NGK BPR7EIX Iridium plugs in the XDI system for several months, and wasn't pleased with them. Went back to a more original spec (NGK BPR7ES), and car showed improvement. YMMV.

8. henrygondorf

henrygondorf Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    NOLA
    From what Nick told me, this XDI burns up plugs. he alway recommended the platinum champion plug, because they need to be changed every 1,000 miles. I had a picture of one where it went down to the wire on the plug. I just wish I knew the difference between what steve plugs he post and the 3415 that Nick says to use.
    A couple fo my Lemans friend told me the XDI system is what everyone use at lemans on the porsche back in the day. Its a real good system compared to the digit plexes.

9. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have the Electromotive kit from Nick (years ago) and just this month ordered new 3415s from www.sparkplugs.com. No problem.

Changed every 1,000 miles? That's crazy :). Really, I don't get that, but am changing mine out this spring.

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Steve,

when having the original stock resistor wires, can't we omit the 'R'?
    I have a new resistor wire set and run BP7ES. No Problems and no radio interference.

Best from Germany
    Martin

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sure, the stock early configurations use a suppressor wire, a suppressor extender, and a non-resistor spark plug. I only included the "R", because the later technology plugs tend to only be available in the resistor style, but, as you noted, the standard electrode plugs are available in both styles.

12. henrygondorf

henrygondorf Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    NOLA
    THX over there now trying to order 8.