458 Years - Any Preference? | FerrariChat

458 Years - Any Preference?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by beatboy77, Mar 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beatboy77

beatboy77 Karting

Apr 22, 2017
    Colorado Springs
    Looking to purchase a 458. I have a modest budget for one of these machines. I have noticed prices are similar for 2010 to 2012. From there, they tend to go up sharply. Is there a particular year of 458 to stay away from? Has quality improved greatly from 2010? Any major differences between the years?

Josh

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You might want to look thro previous posts as I suspect this is a question that has been asked before

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Stick with mid 2012 or later.

Keep it simple: avoid cars with lifts (just put on a good skid plate). Avoid parking sensors, but get one with a rear parking camera for sure.

Don't worry about stuff like navigation - it sucks. Just navigate with your iphone. ipod adapter is handy, however.

Try to buy a car that has good service records. Anyone taking their car to the dealer for oil and alt belt changes is probably not out abusing it.

Check the brake pad thickness. New pads are 10mm thick. Check rims.

If you have your car shipped, keep in mind you're turning your $200K car over to monkeys that generally have an IQ of between 95 and 100 in most cases. Try to find something close by and just fly out and drive it home if possible.

Make sure it had all books and keys, as well as the cover and battery tender. Find out what battery it has in the car and when it was last replaced.

Check to see if buttons are getting sticky (google Sticky RX for more info on what can happen to Ferrari buttons!)

Ray

v35, italiafan, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  4. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Why do you say avoid front lifts and parking sensors? Are they prone to failure or something?

5. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    When buying my 458 front lift was a must. I use it every time I drive, I planned on lowering it so not to have people say your front lift is stuck in up position it just looks like it is

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The parking sensors are a nightmare when trying to park - too much beeping for my taste.

The lift is just a whack concept if you ask me. Not only does it involve a lot more stuff, but you can accomplish the exact same thing (if not better) using a front skid plate. That removes all the electronics, pumps, junk on the coil over, etc. Additionally, with a skid plate, it's always on. Let weight, less complexity, no hassle. I mean, get one if you like, but I personally think it's a mistake to have it on there.

Just my 2 cents

Ray

docf, italiafan and MalibuGuy like this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    From what I understand, lowering it with the front lift it limited. I have seen more than a few spring kits mention that they aren't compatible with the front lift system and/or the system limits how far you can lower the car.

To each their own of course

Ray

8. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Not really but it is a hydraulic part that can fail. Pump or seal later on in life. I have it and love it. Kind of unique. Worst case it fails and you dont lift any more than install the skid plate lol. I have parking sensor, dont hate it but would prefer the backup camera because parking sensor doesn’t tell you how close to the curb or funny low objects. As for which year, do a thread search....been over it alot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The backup camera is fantastic on the 458. I would say that's something to place very high on the list of things to try to get on a used car. It's really nice - far nicer than the one on the 488

Ray

10. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    My 2012 458 spider had lifter and camera. Camera worked OK considering how small it was.
    I installed Novitec lowering springs and could lower it to the ground if I wanted to. Tho, you must specify springs for a lifter. They are different .

11. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    When you lower your car the lift is a must never seen a skid plate for the middle of a car as speed bumps scare me more than driveways but to each their own I guess. The only springs I see recommended is Novitec for lowering a 458 when I researched this site and that's what I purchased and really happy with the ride and stance of the car. If seals on a hydraulic pump failing is to scary then maybe an F-car is not for you as things are going to go wrong on any car and the Ferrari tax is really expensive.

To the OG topic from my research on what year you should avoid is debatable '10 had some DCT issues but nothing definitive I would look for a clean car in your budget and and of course the PPI

12. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    Wow I'm glad the user asked for some experience and insight and guidance about which years he should focus on for a 458 and what he got was a dozen dissertations on springs and lifters.

13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

Agreed. Thread got wildly off topic and opinionated from the get go.

OP. Main difference is that 2012 and later got a software update, 7 year free maintenance, and retweaked transmission that is less prone to failure.

Earlier years do sound a bit more lively as the software enabled a more vibrant exhaust backfire.

Maintenance can be ballparked at $1000 / year value.

If you are in a budget but are worried about transmission, probably the most economical option is to buy a 2010, and then get a year of New Power Warranty plus prepaid maintenance for about $5000 extra.

For options, get what you like! Lots of 458 Italia for sale so you shouldn’t have to compromise unless you are searching for really rare colors.

whatheheck and beatboy77 like this.
  14. beatboy77

beatboy77 Karting

Apr 22, 2017
    Colorado Springs
    Thank You everyone for the opinions. I enjoy the talk about Springs too. I head to learn

Josh

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Only advice I could give you is do not overstretch yourself financially for a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandit23 likes this.
  16. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    To clear any misinformation up:

- You can definitely have the lifter with a lowered car. I have Novitec suspension and the lifter works great
    - To that end, the person above, in my opinion, is giving bad advice. If you live anywhere with dips, especially if you have any interest in lowering, get one w the lifter. It’s awesome.
    - Parking sensors are great, would not avoid them in fact would prefer them if possible.
    - Navigation does suck, useless

In my opinion - lift mandatory. Rear sensors mandatory. Rear camera mandatory. CF wheel mandatory. CF seats mandatory. Any wheels but the base jagged (diamond cut ok) 5 stars mandatory or replace after buying. Everything else, i could flex.

twcferrari likes this.
  17. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Also sorry to answer your original q - I’d aim for 2012+. Some earlier models had some recurring issues, including a costly transmission repair. Buddy with a 2011 fell victim to this, luckily his dealer took care of him. 2012+ also includes 7yrs maintenance so chances are the owners took advantage, meaning better chance of consistent service.