FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 20 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Mar 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 stupid or corrupt?

Bas likes this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that Ferrari believed that Hamilton would have to pit for fresh tires before the end of the race; Vettel probably would have had to do so as well, and Leclerc would have wound up on the podium!

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Both at least. Seriously it would be so much cheaper if an engine had to last a weekend only.

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    WE all know that Bas, as we all know front wings should be a lot smaller, and cars shorter, and that everything is wrong...but for some reason i will never understand, they keep doing the exact opposite..go figure!!

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Oh, i just want to say hello to my friend Fernando as i know he likes to take a peek around here.
    How you doing Nando, love the way you ****ed Mclaren once more, making them got rid of the Honda PU and 100 mil a year in exchange for paying a Renault in order to keep you, and then go away was brilliant, just brilliant, that's why we love you mate!!!
    PS: Did Marko payed you to sabotage all those Honda engines? cammon, nobody else can hear us, you can tell me :)m

6. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Anyone know how many overtakes there were this race? Australia is a tough circuit for this in general.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not many I think, but somewhat inflated by Giovinazzi's tyres falling of the cliff and Ric on Kubica (that's hardly a challenging overtake).

I think real overtakes where Max on Vet, Kmag on Gio, Norris on Gio.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, and max on Seb was just because Seb was out of tires....

9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

To be honest, I don't see the point of making engines less reliable.

We used to have that, and teams turning up at each GP with 4 or 6 engines for 2 cars, and still being plagued by unreliability.

Teams used to have qualifs and race engines and blow the lot over a week end!!! It was mechanical mayhem like the NHRA.

What was the good of that ? It may have been very profitable business for engine builders, but not good for the image of F1.

Forcing engine suppliers to build units able to last 7 GPs, and penalising teams that change engines before the allocated time, improved reliability tremendously.

I certainly don't want to go back to the 60s and 70s in that respect, and I support the FIA rules that limits the number of engines per season .

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wow...incredible! Both Ferrari had good starts btw. But ****ing hell...so unnecessary.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    eh? Seb's tyres where about 9 laps old at the time of pass? How was he ''out of tyres''.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The amount of money invested in making the engines last this long is enormous. And they are still going through 100+ engines a year on the dyno alone....so all those engines that see zero time on a race track are still being blown.

1 engine per weekend is not so bad suddenly. + unit cost would be far lower.

14. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Wasn't this discussion on this board a while ago with some shocking number on how many engines they munched through per car per race weekend in the 90s?
    I thought it was ~10 engines.
    Now, do the math. You supply 4 teams at 2 cars --> 80 engines per weekend at 20 races makes 1600 engines.
    Current rule: 4 teams at 2 cars --> 8 cars at 4 engines per season --> 32 engines.

I am not saying I like the way things are (in particular if you'd want to see F1 as the pinnacle of what technology can get onto wheels). But some simple math suggests there is a much bigger difference than what one would think.

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I blame these stupid massive front wings! How many got damaged and damaged other cars?

Bas likes this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It was really only the top teams using more engines, and not in that fashion....it would be 1 engine for all practice sessions, 1 for quali 1 for race. = 6 engines for the top team. The poorer teams would use no more than 2 and keep practice engines in circulation longer. so 6 for the top team, 4 for each small team = 14 engines supplied per weekend (ferrari and merc each supply themselves and 2 teams) x 20 weekends = 280.

But the argument is 1 engine per car per weekend. so that's 6 engines x 20 = 120.

Current rules = 3 engines per car per year = 18 total, but they burn through over 100 engines on dyno. so we're on the same figures....but these engines are build to much higher tolerances, much more invested in = cost skyrocket.

Of course we can't do anything about it now, the money is invested, gone. Hardly going to switch back to 1 engine per weekend or every other weekend suddenly.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yes they are stupid. I loved the idea of the simplification of wings but then a few words later read that they would make them much wider....talk about a pointless change in regulations! The stupidity goes on.

Igor Ound likes this.
  18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound

Looking at Max and Charles’ starts they do look different. Charles is said to be using the same third paddle hand brake Vettel uses, which Kimi didn’t want. And it does look like the Ferrari leaps forward while Max’s gradually gets away.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think imposing a minimum of reliability by limiting the number of engines per season was a smart move.

You don't need to blow 100 engines on the dyno for development; test bed engines can be rebuilt, and reused many times.

The benefit of this development can also be passed on to the car industry in general, so it's a win-win situation.

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Back in the day cars were less reliable because they didn't have the current technology, not because of different rules. In the same way, most modern road cars don't need to get an engine rebuild in their entire life while in the 60s cylinder linings and piston rings were almost consumable parts.

Personally, I don't like that drivers get penalties because they blew an engine 5 races ago. Having a DNF should be enough penalty.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Out, because they obviously weren't working.....or something else, but everyone points towards the tires....i mean it's not like it was a great overtaking, Seb simply wasn't in a condition to fight and he did well no to force it, at least he takes half a bag of points home, better than to risk a crash with mister "let'***** a Ferrari"

daytona355 likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Neither do I, but unrealiability should still be penalised.

It shouldn't affect the drivers, but the teams.

Maybe points deducted in the constructors ranking, or perhaps a Financial penalty at the end of the year?

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

I agree with limiting engines per season is a good move, but a (much) wider margin should've been used. IMO getting to one engine lasting 2-3 races is fine, drivers can push harder and so on.

They don't need to blow 100 engines on the dyno, but they do....so not sure what your point is.

I had a nearly 30 year old BMW with 300K+ km on the odo and that engine was fresh as anything, no rebuilds just maintained...still pulled strong and revved high. Plenty of engines last longer than the car does so find it hard to see how this fits into ''its good for the road cars'' narative.

24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Financial penalty at the end of the year???
    So the rich teams can use as much engines as they need as they can afford the extra money... sounds exactly opposite to the idea of a budget cap and equalization between the top and the lesser teams, this would just be another way for manufacturers to outspent private teams

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

daytona355 likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I am familiar with dyno testing, BTW, and I can tell you that you don't learn much by bringing engines to destruction.

You don't need to dyno that amount of engine (100) to ensure only 2 évolutions allowed per year on a power unit design, IMO.

The same engines can be used on the dyno to search for different improvements, or optimise the settings without the need to blow them.

They can also been stopped for different components to be tested (different cams, different grade of oil, for example), and the results measured.

So, although I have no doubt that Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda and Renault have teams of engineers working full time on dynos, I guess they don't "blow" 100+ units each per year.