Buying a 458 | FerrariChat

Buying a 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RoyalPink, Mar 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Hello,

I just joined. After many Porsches and AMG's, currently have an AMG GT R. I've decided I want to buy a 2015 458. I'm looking into and figuring out what the most desirable options are. My biggest question at this point. Is it seems like most of the cars have had several (2-7) owners. Tough to find a single owner car with the right options. Why so many owners? Flippers, buyers remorse, auction cars are what I'm speculating it might be. I'm also only looking on autotrader as well. As I feel this is a main aggregator. Are there other sources to look/check as well? Thank you for any input.

2. MarkGT-Rari

MarkGT-Rari Rookie

Mar 30, 2018
    Metro Detroit, Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Mark Elassal
    My opinion is to make sure you have to most desirable options for the car. The 458 must have a LED steering wheel, must have Daytona seats, must have diamond rims, now in my opinion the interior should have lots of carbon options such as the steering wheel, dash and tunnel, exterior wise carbon is not necessary but it is attractive, but on the interior if you so t have carbon options you get black plastic and that just doesn’t work for a ferrari. Don’t get caught up on the years or mileage, these things run, the only reason you should get a 15’ is if you looking for a garage queen and are hoping for an investment (which it will never be) otherwise but a 12 or 13 with 15k miles and smile from ear to ear and save 40k doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Dupont Registry or Cars.com are two choices plus why not consider a 2016 488 for comparison? More choice as there are many 488 models available that are the 'one owner' that you mentioned and a better car in some respects to. The 458 is quite simply an older Ferrari with everything that comes with that period in Ferrari history.

4. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    488 is def. a better car. However, I want the n/a sound of the 458. I know it's a matter of opinion, but I also prefer the looks of the 458 over the 488 also.

Afonsolaw, Rob-0987, VAF84 and 4 others like this.
  5. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Only reason why, is I prefer the latest year of an outgoing model. It's typically the best, and I do realize it will cost more. Is there no difference between a 12 or 13 compared to a 15? I'm speaking options wise and other tweaks. I can't imagine they did absolutely nothing. With that said, I could be completely wrong (probably am - lol) as I'm just starting this journey.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I came from an AMG GTs with all the go fast options. So far, the 458 has been a dream in comparison. It looks better, needs fewer repairs, and the lighter weight is so obvious my wife noticed it the first time she drove it. Trail braking actually works in this car!

Wait until you find your perfect one. It takes a while, as these cars are custom ordered, unlike the AMGs. Everyone is unique.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.

You're right - it's going to take time. I'm keeping my GT R. I ordered it and it took a year to get it. It is a track beast. I will not track the 458 if I find one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ash Patel and of2worlds like this.
  8. elevated velocity

Feb 9, 2019
    I feel like carbon seats are a must. They make the interior look more like a race-car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Afonsolaw likes this.
  9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Are you in Vegas?

10. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I'm glad to hear your GTr is a track beast. They did a much better job on the suspension than they did on the GTs. My GTs had eight warranty repairs after less than fifteen track days at COTA, and that ruined the experience for me. (I'm following the thread on MBWorld about the brake cooling kit. That would have been helpful a few years ago!!)

I would encourage you to track your 458 once after you get it. It surprised me quite a bit. The AMG will set a better time, but you might find the 458 more fun.

11. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.

I agree it probably would be more fun. I'm a little apprehensive about tracking a car that would not have the full factory warranty in affect. In the event of some catastrophic/expensive repair.

12. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Close - SG Utah.

ryalex likes this.
  13. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Me too, especially after the GTs. That's why I got the power warranty with mine. Even better is that you don't need to go clean up the car before towing to the dealership. It is much less of a gray area than it is with Mercedes.

14. williams1

williams1 Rookie

Dec 15, 2016
    New York
    I searched for 10 months. Finally found the right car. It was a 2015, early build, delivered August 2014. Only had one month left on factory warranty. I too wanted the last year of 458 production. It was a one owner car with 859 miles. I was worried about the low mileage, but was surprised to find that instead, it was like I bought a new 2015
    car in 2017. It had all of the desirable options mentioned except interior carbon fiber. I would have preferred carbon fiber, but at least in a 458, non carbon fiber cars have no black plastic. I purchased it for a premium because of the one owner and low mileage, but find that it was well worth it.

15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I own a 2015 458 Italia and am sure you made a good selection. I had to laugh at some of the comments regarding why a 2015 was not worth the extra monies over prior earlier years, but decided not to respond. The 15 is the last of the last 458 with a NA engine. It is the last made by Pinafornnia (excuse the spelling).Won't go into the Options ,but the race interior, exterior CF,LED steering wheel,Diamond Wheels are certainly a plus. You found an exceptionally low milage car. Now use it & have fun. I did not buy my car because it was a 15, I bought it cause it was the best for the monies spent, the longest lasting 7 yr. maintainence warranty remaining, the color combo/materials that I wanted, as Race/CF interior/exterior,Diamond Wheels etc. which = value. The original owner took the hit for all the extra high priced options & I got a new car with options basically free!

16. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    "Most important" options are generally shields, the 20" optional wheels, and the CF LED steering wheel. Many prefer the carbon fiber racing seats due to looks, but many also have fully electric seats (at that point it's a preference, but many also prefer Daytona style there... to me that's not a "must have option"). Outside of that, it's mostly personal preference... many like the CF options, but they get ridiculous and to me I feel like you either go full carbon, or no carbon... it looks weird to me when CF is mismatched (the big caveat to that is most want the LEDs in the steering wheel and go CF for the wheel for that reason... you could have gone special order and gotten a leather wheel with LEDs, but most didn't do that).

Congrats... the 458 is an amazing car, you won't be disappointed!

KC360 FL likes this.
  17. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Generally universally considered must-have options are LED steering wheel, shields, and diamond forged wheels.

Number of owners really doesn’t mean anything for Ferrari. People that own exotic cars tend to switch them out very quickly because they are toys and they want something new.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  18. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    you push so hard on track or mercedes build bad race track cars????

19. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Options list are crazy for the car. To me it looks like there is always going to be a compromise in the options department. Meaning, what can you do/live without. I've been collecting 458 Monroney images in a file. I've seen as little as 30k in options and the highest spec I've seen, had 114k in options for a 347k msrp. This is going to take some time.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #20 Solid State, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Welcome! Love your AMG as I'm a front engine guy but no turbos! To address your questions, there are a lot of Ferrari multi-owner cars out there because the mid-engine V8s are the high production models and many buyers are either depreciation conscious or, to a lesser extent, were just adding status to their position on the 'list' or just are flippers with no intent to own. Few buy new and keep.

For other sources try CarGurus and Cars.com. Don't forget to check the FChat advertising forums as its clearly better to buy from an FChat member than a pure stranger or used car salesman. For a Ferrari, I have found concentrating on the following attributes in this order: Spec, Accidents, Condition, Mileage, # of Owners. Year is unimportant on older used cars. Ferrari seems to only makes minor changes year-year. I personally stay away from leased cars but many seem to be needlessly offended when bringing that up. Garage queens are nice but need at least 1K miles/year and full service records.

Once you have a list of potential cars, getting to speak with the prior owner(s) is invaluable. Make sure you get Both Keys and all the smaller items like the Security Code Card, OEM charger, Manuals, Tools, Car cover with Steering Wheel and Seat Covers, and Window Sticker with confirmed list of all options and MSRP. Get a feeling for how the car was treated - heated garage, cold starts, tracking history, daily driver status and which cities, accidents, paint, etc. Ask for pics of every possible part of the car and get a PPI (not from the seller). If there is paint film then which kind is it and how old is it. There are no must have options if you are planning to keep the car. Just what makes you feel good owning.

Suggest hanging around your local Ferrari dealer and place eyes on as many similar units as possible and ask questions. Test drive them so you know what they feel and sound like. If you find a car you are serious about spend some up close time with it. Get a look at it with the bottom cover off to see if it was salted up, suffered unreported damage and the condition of individual components or evidence of leaks no matter how minor.

Make the seller produce recent wheel alignment info. No sub-par interior condition and nothing but water to clean soft touch plastics is ideal. How old is the battery in the car and what series model is it. Get a CarFax. An informed buyer has no excuse later. Some of this info will be hard to get so speaking with prior owners is critical on a used car. Hope this helps you and others. If your a flipper than just buy what depreciates less from your research. Sorry for the long response - I'm bored today. Best.

21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Very thorough and I hope I never have to sell you a car ;)

22. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Lol - good one.

Viperjoe likes this.
  23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Good being informed. Some folks that I PM with have used my suggestions with future purchases. My Ferrari has everything I mentioned including factory warrantee and additional service which I didn't mention. At these prices, the seller should be honest if not proud to describe his ownership experience and the car's condition. Even if not perfect, which no car is, honesty is the best policy. :)

Avia11 likes this.
  24. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Doing a little looking and need some help. Found something decent. Lots of options but no LED steering wheel. Can't imagine too many cars without it - but this is one. Need some clarity. This car has the carbon fibre racing package (13,228) and the carbon fibre racing seats (8,094) which I understand is required. When you have the first package. From what I've found and understood is that it should have the LED's and it doesn't. Wheel is CF as well as the paddles. Car is a 2014.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I saw your post on the MB board OP, and while I think everyone makes valid points I'd ask you what is your purpose for the car. Do you want a DD, or a weekend cruise car. I would recommend sitting in the racing seats, while I am not big (5'8" 152lbs) my old back cannot stand them for more than 15 minutes. I can tell this I have seen some people try and like those seats only to get rid of the car because of them. If you do not mind a cross country sale. I would be glad to set you up with the folks at Algar, they will likely be able to find you a car with a lot of what you want. I trust them more than any dealer I've ever dealt with and if you buy a car from them, you will have none of the issues mentioned here. I have always thought the first Ferrari should either come from a friend (and a car you know) or from a trusted dealer (with a CPO). Unlike Porsche, MB, and BMW, Ferrari dealers are not required to share service information, and many do not. Over the years I've helped quite a few members here get theirs cars (some ever have my cars), either way good luck in your search.

KC360 FL likes this.