Its been a while... lets talk about timing belt changes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Its been a while... lets talk about timing belt changes

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Mar 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They went back to 5 on the V12. There was no certainty from Ferrari if the change to 3 ever applied to the Flat 12. Those intervals have been set by different distributors around the world. USA and Europe have several differences.

Dave rocks likes this.
  2. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    In December 2017 I asked the question about the belt replacement schedule on my 512BBi to the Ferrari concession next to my place, the answer (translated from French):

The timing belt replacement for your BB512i should be done every 3 years or 50000 km.
    The factory has standardized the periodicity for all models to 3 years or 50000 km, except the 612 every 5 years or 50000 km.
    UNQUOTE

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And Ferrari of North America has set a different standard. I have the service bulletins.

This is one of the reasons timing belt threads are a cluster ****. I should have ignored it.

Testerosse, 53ford and MOSS like this.
  4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Don't we have about a hundred of these threads? Just like you say, its 5 years or 30k miles. That is the rule I have always used on all mine and it works great.
    If you want to do it in 3 because of some special conditions, then by all means spend your money. I will stick with Brian's advice.

Shamile likes this.
  5. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    The good news is that there seems to be an agreement on the 30k miles or 50k kilometers limit:)

Shamile, turbo-joe and MOSS like this.
  6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well to put a bow on this, I'm just going to have Bradan come and get the car and do the major and diff install. Sure I'll be out nearly $15k but at least I'll have a car back that's ready to romp on and a receipt to show for it. I'll use the lift for all other services moving forward, and for detailing.

Natkingcolebasket69 and MOSS like this.
  7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Are you going to use a Newman diff? Out of 4 cars with one being a turbo, I have never had a diff issue but his is good.

8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I believe Bradan uses the Modena Engineering diff from Australia.

MOSS likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Wise decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Just saw a picture on their site. Man that looks great. Very high quality. Newmans is 3500, what does the Modena run?

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    $2990

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Pretty cheap! But then grand tour sait it cost 26k pounds to fix lol At the dealer for sure but the TRis not that expensive to fix (relatively speaking)

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I remember right with freight, custom and tax not even 1.800 euro each, but this has been about 8-10 years ago.
    next diff I would need I will buy from philwozza

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Really? I am the exclusive US distributor for Modena Engineering Ferrari parts. That would not be the price.

The Modena differential is complete with side gears, spider gears and all positraction parts. The posi is offered in 2 different levels of lockup but I discourage buying the more aggressive set up.

Pauls is a very good part but is a bare housing.

I would have to check the current exchange rate but it is over $4000 US + shipping from Texas.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Still pretty darn cheap!

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think it is a good value. If you have the unfortunate experience of breaking one in a fashion that damages the spider and side gears it suddenly becomes even more attractive.

JoeTSI and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    IT is $2990 for the Modena diff housing from GT Car Parts. My diff hasn't exploded so i'll just be swapping the old parts into the new housing.

https://gtcp.com/portfolio/modena-engineering-limited-slip-differentials-for-boxer-and-testarossa/

Not sure if you supply to GT Car Parts or if they buy directly but that's what it is. I know nothing of the supply chain on this item.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Must be very old stock. No longer in the loop and it is a very old price. Probably should check and be sure they even have it. More than that I cannot say.

If they actually have one I'd buy it.

19. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    If I had a nickel for every time I ordered a part listed online, only to get an email/call the next day explaining that the part was not available and hasn't been for some time...

thorn likes this.
  20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I got an email back from Frank at Modena this morning and the price was 3500 + 210 shipped to Dallas, Texas so I guess it went up. I wonder if that includes internal spider gears and ready to go? I did not think to ask.

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I got mine all they have been complete, without the outside bearings of course, but as I see the price only raised about 15 % since more than 10 years ago. I think those 3500 are australian dollar an dnot US dollar? then this would be about 2100 euro plus shipping.
    when you have contact again with frank tell him a nice hello from me

MOSS likes this.
  22. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Yea, it has to be purchased by a shop like Brian's or a retailer. They will not sell to the public.

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Newman's diff is good, Just put your internals inside!

TestaDDS and MOSS like this.
  24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Does someone have a good photo of Newman's piece? Man, the Modena piece looks like art.

turbo-joe likes this.
  25. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004