Why no fastest lap attempt? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why no fastest lap attempt?

Discussion in 'F1' started by skip737, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Feel free to cross post. I posted here as it seemed most relevant as to why the team made the decision to not pit in order to fit new tires to go for fast lap....

It also seemed that the "Why are we so slow" thread had devolved to bickering that had moved away from discussion about what the problem might have been and more into "woe is me, the season is lost...." ;)

william likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I do understand.
    That also explains why Vettel and Leclerc were mostly conducting a damage limitation race rather than being in the thick of it.
    It wasn't obvious to the spectators that Ferrari had aero problems at Melbourne.

Ney likes this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Interesting link!

On SKY this evening The F1 Midweek Review with Ted and Rob Smedley was informative. Rob said the development rate / profile of Mercedes was quite steep vs Ferrari who more or less plateau'd. Mercedes were .7 then .3 by second test start, then even with Ferrari by end of test 2 in terms of lap time/pace.

Ferrari must out develop Mercedes this year!

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This fastest lap criticism is so stupid. It was a lot of effort and risk for ONE SINGLE POINT. If they lose the the championship by one point then all you critics can say that you told everyone so and that if you were team principal of Ferrari you would have won the championship for them single handedly with this one point stroke of brilliance.

stavura, daytona355 and Isobel like this.
  5. andrewmr

andrewmr Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2005
    Bucks County, PA.
    Full Name:
    Michael

Well, it may be one point, but it equates to a two point swing. You take one away from Mercedes and then add it to Ferrari.

I'm pretty sure Massa would have liked those points a few years back.

william and DF1 like this.
  6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

As said in Rush "You'll never win a championship with Jacky Ickx, but you just might with James Hunt"

Sometime you take shot, it's like the onside kick. Winners make things go right, losers don't try.

william likes this.
  7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    You're forgetting over the course of the season that adds up to 21 free points they just gave away.

william likes this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Why? Because the Mercedes was too fast this particular weekend that it didn't matter what tires Ferrari put on. MB could just crank up the pace whenever they wanted. No need to risk losing your position for a point you won't get that day.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    How does this one race equal 21 points?

10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And potentially stress the engine and gearbox, maybe even crash, only to see yourself as fastest for ten seconds till the Mercedes or red bull took it back...... LeClerc’s job once we had problems this weekend was bring the car home, line astern with his team leader, like it or not that’s how Ferrari roll. When we have a good enough car, it works perfectly well and they win championships, when we don’t have the car, it means the team leader gets the most points bar car failures. It’s just the way we do it.

We have to hope that by Bahrain, the team have worked out the issues and are able to set the car up to challenge, and hopefully having not stressed the parts in Aus, it may give us a slight mechanical boost to help for the next race or two.

Forza Ferrari...... **** off Mercedes

fil, Isobel and 375+ like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There are 21 extra points to win this year, it's almost a GP win !

12. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    If they aren't willing to try with 35s in the pocket when else are they going to take the risk?

Ryan... and william like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yeah, given the situation of both cars in this race (Melbourne GP 2019), it was a safe bet.

More than likely once we get ourselves figured out, then I can see us shooting for the fastest lap. IMO.

william, 375+ and crinoid like this.
  14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Ok at the end of the season if they lose by exactly the amount of points that they didn’t TRY to ATTEMPT fastest lap then you can be a genius. Until then...

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Yes for all the races. We are talking about ONE race.

15. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeap taking risks late in the season sure worked out for Ferrari in 2018 :rolleyes:

william likes this.
  16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No, because then it will be too risky to lose our position. Later in the season when there is less time to recoup points due to failures/mishaps/etc is when you will see the leaders NOT trying to get that extra point.

18. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Well if nothing else the fastest lap point generates some good discussion on risk adversity and team mindsets. I still hand it to Bottas for absolutely wanting it and making it happen.

I wish Leclerc had been cut loose, but then again.... Image Unavailable, Please Login

william, jcurry and crinoid like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Hot off the press............;)

Ferrari may charge for fastest lap in future

Ferrari may chase the bonus 'point for fastest lap' in Bahrain and beyond.

In Melbourne, surprised and disappointed to be off Mercedes and Red Bull-Honda's pace, team boss Mattia Binotto decided that Charles Leclerc would not be given the opportunity to go for the fastest lap.

"We had the window to give Charles new tyres, but I think at that stage every pit stop is a risk and for us it was more important to get the car home and secure the points for fifth place," he told Auto Bild.

But Binotto admitted that with 20 more points up for grabs in the 2019 season, Ferrari may need to take the fastest lap more seriously in future.

"We will analyse the race and may revise this decision for the future," he said.

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/ferrari-may-charge-for-fastest-lap-in-future/

william likes this.
  20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It seems that because of their setup issues they were probably looking at the numbers and didn’t have the confidence that they could beat Bottles. Hopefully they get that car set up process fixed. Is this them feeling the lack of Kimi. He was reportedly great at setting up a car. Vettel supposedly isn’t great at it. I’m not sure how good LeClerc is at it.

william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  21. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    It was hardly a bold move for the driver of the fastest car who had the best pace to attempt fastest lap. Pushes a little too far and yes, hero to zero, however Bottles seemed quite comfortable in Oz and believed his car was capable of capturing fastest lap without any fireworks. The fastest lap point was probably the best antidote for the torpor of having no competition....

It’s a side note to perk up the end of a race, three cheers. It will contain four categories of driver; no hopes for a point otherwise, drivers attempting to gain a position from a distance (indifferent to the additional point), Kimi and fast guys with nothing else to do....

22. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Actually only three categories, as to get the fastest lap point you already have to be in the points (i.e. top 10).

jgonzalesm6, william and 375+ like this.
  23. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I stand corrected, thank you. While I understand why they wanted parameters, it seems somewhat hollow and limiting.

24. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    If they had put fresh tyres on Leclerc car with ten laps to go I'm sure he could have been more faster than 1.25.5 Bottas lap .
    No discussion about this .
    They didn't and it talks a lot about their PU reliability for now .
    We will never know but I suspect Binotto secretly happy seeing both car ending the race .
    Vettel doesn't how to set up a car and they are lost since kimi left ?
    Just cheap journalism for me .
    Turbo problems leads to unbalanced the car .
    Hope they will have a fix for Bahreïn ( they know this problem since Barcelona test 2)

daytona355 likes this.
  25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Don’t put words in my mouth. If you’re going to, at least make them understandable.