Early vs. Late F40 Paint | FerrariChat

Early vs. Late F40 Paint

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Drew Altemara, Mar 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Was reading the F40 luggage thread below that morphed into a discussion of 1992 models.

I have heard (and that's about it) that the early F40's had less red paint applied and you could clearly see the carbon weave and that the later cars they used more paint and you cannot.

I own a Jan 1992 build purchase from Joe some 10 years ago and you cannot see the carbon weave.

Any truth to this?

Drew

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mine is a 91 and you can see weave all over the place!

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    F40s do not consistently show the weave on all panels like the F50s do, whereas in the latter it is very defined over the whole car, however, I have heard the same, and to underscore this, I have come across multiple 1992s with original paint with no weave showing at all.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. titangolf

titangolf Karting

May 25, 2010
    Can you share some photos showing the weave?

of2worlds likes this.
  5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    in 2015 i went to inspect otis chandler's f40 in maranello being classiched. i was in the classiche section all day talking to the techs there (which was every bit as great as you are now imagining :) ), and i noticed that there was not much weave apparent on the car, vs my own. i have a 90 and i think the chandler car is a 92. so i mentioned to one of the guys there that this must be due to the later build date, and his reply was that the year meant nothing, their build rate and quality were inconsistent- it was made by hand (italian hands !). the thickness of the paint varied by the day and the car, and that the whole weave visibility story was just a cover for haphazard workmanship.

your choice to believe this or not, but thats the story from classiche.

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Another fallacy is that the weave is carbon when its not, its actually fibreglass. The weave of such is only visible where the thin coat of resin above it has sunk as it dried, where the panel is thinner. In areas where the mat is thicker, the resin is thicker, or where filler was applied then the resin does not sink so the mat underlayer cannot then be seen.

An owner a while back posted up photos of such, I think it may have been redsled, and it's also been confirmed by Kevin from mototechnique who actually replicates weave in F40 resto's when requested, he also posted up pics of the fibreglass being applied to replicate the Ferrari flaw!

My understanding is that different suppliers actually made the panels over time which is also a factor as to the quality of certain panels during the build run.

This only applies to the painted outer body panels, the inner bare structural panels are fully carbon and were clearly produced in a much more stringent process such as an autoclave, rather than the hand lay of the cosmetic outer body panels

MirageJHU likes this.
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Perhaps the guys at Classiche were not aware of it but Otis Chandler's F40 92017 should not be used as any benchmark for original paint because he crashed that car early in it's life and subsequently had it repaired & repainted at a cost of "between $100,000 & $200,000".

That said, I can tell you that as they were delivered from Maranello, Tipo USA F40s have more paint on them than Eu/ROW cars.

According to my Ferrari SpA factory source involved with F40 production, the body was made of composite materials consisting of a combination of Nomex, Kevlar, and Carbon-fiber weave.

Lemacc likes this.
  8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I owned the otis F40 92017 for a very short time. Yeah, don't use that for a benchmark on [anything]. Esp paint. Its been repainted.

My 2nd and current F40 is also a 92. For the most part paint is fairly consistent but in some places you really see the weave, some not so much. Theres a youtube video of the factory painting of F40s and if you watch that it all makes sense.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

I happened to see your current 92 and it is, well, spectacular! I can see it is properly taken care of.

10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Quite correct Joe, the outer skin though is fibreglass woven material, then a nomex honeycomb with more fibreglass, both woven and strand then the inner skin is carbon kevlar, the use of the kevlar skin is mainly to keep it all together in the event of damage. Kevlar is normally used though as an outer scuffing skin for the same reason.

I believe in the 80s Ferrari were still using old school resins which shrank during the drying process hence the weave becoming visible in places. The use of epoxy resins these days does not cause that issue.

11. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Here are a couple of photos of the cross-section taken from a broken rear hood.which I took in Maranello many years ago, showing the glassfibre/nomex honeycomb/carbon-kevlar construction clearly even if my photos are poor, along when plenty of resin shaken out by the impact.

As for paint, I am not sure there is consistency of presence of weave depending on early vs late cars. The 92 I had showed visible weave than the 91 I own now, and neither had been repainted. The F50, which is a much later car, seem to show more consistent weave throughout the production run. I think it is just a function of the amount of paint used on the day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mclaudio, PAUL500 and joe sackey like this.
  12. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    If those panels were made these days, even if just by the simple process of resin infusion and not in an autoclave, and using an epoxy resin I bet they would probably weigh just a third of an original panel, so much wasted resin which adds no strength when it is just in a pool as shown above.

13. Copozl1

Copozl1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2014
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Hugo carvalho
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The paint quality story is something I have not heard.
    At the time people at Ferrari saw the premiums that buyers would pay to get an F40. To have greater control over who got an F50 the cars were only offered as a lease and not to buy new. There was only one customer in the USA who bought an F50 and that was from an arrangement with Piero Ferrari.

Tenney likes this.
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's correct.

of2worlds likes this.