488 Spider or F8 Tributo | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Spider or F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Yang Yang, Mar 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Wouldn't think you would get a discount . Its a bit like when I bought a Versace suit ( yes was out of my mind but I did love it ) I asked for a discount and he was lost for words and then said we don't give discounts.
    So I demanded something for free and I got a tie.

So my approach would be leave something out that you want and get the final quote then ask for that item to be included in the price and do the deal.

Viperjoe likes this.
  2. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Karting
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    Wow! You’re a genius! That’s a really good way, and I will try!

3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Go on Ferrari's US website and you can search all the used 488 cars dealers have across the nation. Find the one you like and negotiate, this way you'll get a discount and don't have to wait months to get your car.

Many dealers across the nation are owned by the same company, use that to build a relationship.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nothing with Ferrari is “reasonable “. If you don’t mind waiting 2-4 years to actually drive your new F8 and by then they will be announcing a F8 replacement. The cycle will start all over again. I think the best thing to do is buy a slightly used 488 , establish yourself with a dealer and then try for an F8. For me personally I’m not waiting years for a car . Who knows what tomorrow brings ? Best , Kirk.

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Discounts on new Ferraris can be had but not often. The only times I've gotten one (twice in my life) was when the new car is in stock and has been sitting on the showroom floor for sometime. Discount number one was on a new 1994 512TR and one of the last made. I got low financing and a $30k reduction in price. The other was a 2016 FF also one of the last delivered in the US prior t o the GTC4Lusso. It too was in stock and the dealer wanted out. They gave a $50k reduction on MSRP on that one. Both times the discount was supported by/approved Ferrari higher ups somewhere.

If you want a discount, start calling around dealers here in the U.S. and ask what new cars are on their showroom floor. Maybe one will offer something.

6. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Karting
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    Thank you. But if I choose to buy a 488 no matter it’s a used one or a brand new one, I will not choose a F8 in the next two to three years. And if it’s really need to take 2 year to get a F8, I will definitely choose a brand new 488 Spider, that’s too long.

Viperjoe likes this.
  7. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    As you are new to the brand and the forum, you have received a lot of good advice from fellow fchat members. You will be waiting at least 2/3 years and maybe longer as there will surely be folks who have extensive ownership experiences with Ferrari who will be at the beginning of the line for any F8 allocations. Buy a 458 or 488 now if your goal is get into a Ferrari.

8. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    488 was announced in 2015. It is now four years in and people are still spec'ing and buying them. Did they want one in 2015 and waited for four years (probably not) but people do wait.

If you waited for year 2 to get a F8 then you will probably be in the same situation as you are now (depreciation has hit and new model on the horizon).

You gotta jump in at some point. Big decision is do you always wan to be in the "new car line" or want to play in the used market. Sometimes people go into the new car line and find out that it is perhaps better to stay in the used car line.

Bhh and sampelligrino like this.
  9. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Karting
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    So, Should I order a 488? Actually, F8 is not my dream car, the only reason I wanna order it is it’s a new model. I prefer 488 more, but I am very worried about its market price will be greatly reduced.

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Really you need to answer that question yourself. I have the 488 GTB only 6 months now. Do I like the F8 yes and no. But since it will run for 3 years I can make that decision then. Either way I want to have either the 488 GTB or F8 as I don't want an electric Ferrari .

Yes the value will go down. Don't look at the for sale prices. EG my car $580 k ( $513k base price ) F8 ( $535 K base price ). To buy the F8 dealer wont give over $450 k if im lucky so $130 down. But my car will be for sale at close to $550 k ( and please note my price has about $150 k in taxes ,! )

If you really like the 488 buy it and accept when and if you go for the F8 you will lose at least 20%.

11. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    I don’t think you will get any discount as Ferrari policy is about prestige, branding and their heritage. This is a word i got last month from my dealer GM.

The only option i can see to get a discount is via pre-owned program from your dealer if they have anything available.

Good Luck ;)

12. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    Don't believe a word when people say no discounts to be had but of course how easy or hard is going to vary from cities to cities and countries. The interesting thing with high end goods, is that people (buyer & seller) all try to portray a certain image of prestige and exclusivity. So if they have to discount to sell than it is perceived as not being exclusive enough.....believe what you will but you just have to find an angle into that inner circle.

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #63 Shadowfax, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Agree 100%. There is no such thing as no discounts in an environment such as this. With a new model out and old model allocations still to fill - say no more. I wasn't aware there was a Que of buyers still knocking down the front door to pay full price for an outgoing model. But maybe I'm wrong.:rolleyes:

theplanner and Nuvolari like this.
  14. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    With all due respect, I dont think you are ready for Ferrari ownership. Your posts indicate that you are concerned about the financial impacts of owning a Ferrari. Financial responsibility and Ferrari ownership (or any other super car) dont go together.

You buy Ferrari because you have a passion for cars and the Ferrari brand PERIOD.

Surfah, pt95, MANDALAY and 3 others like this.
  15. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Karting
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    Are you kidding me? Although I prepared 400K for a Ferrari, my money wasn't picked up on the street ok? I just want to save as much as I can. The reason why I asked this question is the used market of 488 will have a reduction because F8 is announced. Which means when I wanna sell my 488, I will get a serious loss, I think at least 100K.

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    IMHO you should buy a used 488. I've learned that unless you're really bent on getting a "new" car, buy one that is slightly used. Much of the depreciation will be out of the car and if you sell it when the next great thing from Ferrari comes in you won't take such a beating on the 488.

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Maybe you can share your personal experience purchasing a new production Ferrari at a discount that you were able to spec . Best ,Kirk.

pt95 and MANDALAY like this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Wait till the f8 is out a year and then find a dealer with unsold 488’s and you may get your discount. Enjoy.

19. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    You will lose more money if you purchase a new 488 Spider compared to a preowned 488 Spider... There is no doubt about that. However, there is doubt when you will be able to get an actual F8 Tributo especially since you have no history with a Ferrari dealer. By the time your F8 Tributo is ready to be delivered its replacement will in all likelihood already been announced as well.

Like others have mentioned, dealers are highly unlikely to discount a brand new personally spec'd car. Perhaps you should search for a demo 488 Spider in a similar spec to what you choose for yourself. You may be able to get some type of discount on a demo model but even in that scenario discounts are rarely given. Or better yet go the preowned route as many have suggested. Do you have a car to trade in? If so, this is where a dealer can be more aggressive on a trade number especially when they are unable to discount the price of a new car.

Best of luck to you in your search.

sampelligrino likes this.
  20. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

If you’re budget is $400K and you are worried about depreciation, then get a 458 Speciale. A Speciale would fit your financial requirements a lot better than a 488.

Bhh and twist-a-grip like this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Except if you drive it much then you lose more than you would on a used 488 I think.

22. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Buy a slightly used 488 and get in the game now, then trade up down the road if that's what you want to do. You will lose some in depreciation, but not as much as if you bought a new one. I would find a couple with the specs you want (must have's vs. nice to have's) and go from there. There is a decent amount of cars to choose from.

23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I agree with the sentiment from theplanner and shadowfax, there might be an opportunity (maybe slim) that you could get a discount on a new 488...but...

I was in this situation recently. F8 vs 458 vs 488 spider or coupe? Go drive both the coupe and spider 458 and 488. You might find that the 458 spider is the car of your dreams. I love mine. Get a 2015 low mile one owner car. Drive it like you stole it. When you're in 3rd gear between 3000-4500 RPM it will sound like you're going 120 but you might just be a little above the speed limit. Top up or top down with the back window open or closed it will look amazing, it will sound amazing, tunnels will be added to your commute, everyone will stop and stare and if you get a unique color (yellow, blue, really anything but red) random and car people will give you props. Even if the value doesn't increase on account of the last unelectronic assisted NA V8, even if the F8 comes out and drives like a 488 Pista and sounds like a 458 speciale aperta, even if the value decreases you will not care because you won't have lost that much and the experiences you have will be worth every dime of depreciation.

24. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    Hah, fundamental rule of negotiation, u need to ensure they r trying to sell u the product not u trying to convince them u want to buy the product. If u can get yourself into that position then u r almost guaranteed a better deal then the latter group. Patience & knowledge is the game. Ferrari has certain criteria of buyers they prefer, if u fall into that criteria u r off to a good start but it’s also their awareness u fall in that criteria.
    Of cos there r dealerships with lots of big hitters, then avoid those if u can because then u r just a very small fish in a big tank. Find one with a smaller tank, and u may find yourself in a better position...

Shadowfax likes this.
  25. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    I get the feeling you've never ordered a new Ferrari before.

Bhh and Cigarzman like this.