Time to get tires. I hate this. | FerrariChat

Time to get tires. I hate this.

Discussion in '360/430' started by blown94conv, Mar 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    Any recommendations? Factory size 18 star wheels, haven’t seen any tires that get my excited. Apparently Michelin doesn’t have PS4 in the factory size, any advice from guys who have recently bought tires? Search feature brought up old info, looking for more current advice.

2. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have a similar problem opening my wallet

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Hankook on mine. cheap, long life.. not quite as good as Pilot Sports though..

5. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Are people staying away from the original style Perillis?

6. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Love these tires. Probably around $1200 from Tire Rack. I wouldn't cheap out on this aspect of the car.
    Too important. Pirelli's are good but I think Michelin has nailed it as far as these tires are concerned.

FerRrari likes this.
  7. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    I have not had good results with the Pirellis. The last set of OE style Pirellis put on the 430 dry rotted and cracked in only a few years. Other brands (Goodyear, Michelin, Kumho) I have on my other cars did not. I went to the Michelin 4s's and so far I'm very happy.

8. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    Pirellis are good in 2005....

9. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    Tires are the most important part, I’ll gladly spend the money. Learned that lesson many years ago when I bought Summitomo tires. I’ll double check the PS4, I didn’t see the size listed when I searched tire rack.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i used to agonize over which tire - now i realize how much time i wasted!

Skidkid likes this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I’ve heard nothing but complaints over pirelli. I usually use Bridgestone/Firestone, always had good results but definitely not for tracking or anything like that. My last set I bought closeout on Tire rack for like under $600. Cheaper than the same exact tire on my z06.

12. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    PS4 and don't look back. Pirelli don't even come close in my opinion. Never liked Pirelli on anything I have owned.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Good rule of thumb - michelin for grip and bridgestone for comfort is where i ended up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineKen and cpep like this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Michelin or advan AD08R .

15. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I just ordered the Michelin PS4S this week. The pirelli’s are down to the wear bars. FoA told me they recommend replacing tires at 5 years per Ferrari factory policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

16. doug_porsche

doug_porsche Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Trying 2 find myself
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I dont have the privilege of a F-car, but.
    Driving a Noble here.

Recently played this game.
    The general consensus (tirerack reviews, forum research, trusted friends who dont drive Mustangs or BMW's)
    The Michelin Pilot Sport family probably the best all around package available currently.
    The price is a little above the average price for tires in the class.
    Wet traction ranking, if not the best, besting most in class for performance summer tire.
    Dry traction ranking, if not the best, besting most in class for performance summer tire (did you catch that I am not saying a track tire that has a DOT rating).
    Tread wear ranking is a surprisingly good 300, again, besting most in class.

there is not a single competing tire out there that bests the PS's family in any categories that its not first in.

Now from personal experience.
    The first set of Michelin Pilot Sport were great. Wet was not scary. Dry was good and predictable. Track day, "upper novice" to "has a clue, but not sure what to do with it" level, 10ish lap sessions at High Plains Raceway, 3 - 5 sessions a day. Tires were wonderfully predictable for the entire session. Never got gummy near the end of the session. If anything the driver was the issue, not the tires.

Summary: Bang for the buck, its a great tire. You didn't say how you were going to use the tires (only on sunny Sundays as speeds up to 70 MPH, fun canyon roads, track days, roll the car out of the garage to wax it.... again)

For Street, many tires will work fine, some may even save you a couple hundred bucks.
    For Street, that includes rain, some tires will work fine, but pay a lot of attention to the wet traction rating! a couple hundred bucks on tires is cheaper than a body shop visit.
    For Street with an occasional track day (where if a stop watch is used its for consistency, not to measure ultimate lap times.) PS are very hard to beat
    For a Track monsters, that you drive to and from the track, well, you wouldn't be asking this question if you fit into this category.,