F355 exhaust help - Tubi, Capristo, or Nouvalari? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F355 exhaust help - Tubi, Capristo, or Nouvalari?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jaybart, Jan 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #76 308 GTB, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Mille Miglia exhaust is the secret of the ages. It's very well made and it looked and sounded great on my 308...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thank you Elliot. It came fom your country. :)

3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes I know, my good friend actually filmed the F1 GTS launch that is now so famous on YouTube. He helped develop the MM muffler for the 355 and 360! He keeps telling me to swap my Tubi Evo for the Mille Miglia!

4. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Very cool! One of the best videos on the Internet. ;-)

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Capristo twin sound. They said it increases horsepower (maybe due to dual bypass valves) over the y-pipe single bypass configuration. Downside is you lose the high pitched sound.

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Cool. Appreciate the info James. Thank you for clarifying that.

8. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Is that right? So the Capristo 2 is the loudest option? Looking to buy one in the coming weeks for a GTB.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    MAD828 likes this.
  10. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Exactly! I’m doing my best to educate.

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #86 Ferrarium, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    None of those. I find the others are annoying at idle or low speed. They drone. At idle they sound like a boat, tubi also they all do, little musclecar'ish at idle. Videos all over the place you can hear it at idle its like ugh...

keeissieg does not. Plus it sounds even more f1 than any of them if that's what your after. This is on a 348 for God's sake. Its the valvetronic but the second one is the WW which is non valvetronic.Very easy to live with I suspect and sounds better. I know its subjective and all that but.... it sounds better.

That said AFTER the keeissieg it would be the Capristo. But for me its not like a close second either. Ohh and it costs less.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    All of these aftermarket mufflers sound good to me. And they're all put together well. Not like the crap Ferrari put on their F430 Challenge. They tack-welded the exhaust tips to the pipes.

This is what happened a few years ago to me after I pointed an F430 by before Turn 8 at Watkins Glen International...

That exhaust tip bounced unpredictably and I was lucky to avoid it. It missed me by only a few feet.

13. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    Can someone please explain the different levels of capristo. I’ve read that they all sound the same at higher rpms, with level 1 being quieter at low rpm when the valves are closed and 3 being loudest, with 2 somewhere in between. Is this correct?

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Level 1, 2, or 3 on Capristo refers to the sound of the exhaust muffler in the main circuit when the bypass secondary circuit is not open.
    Level 1 sounds like the Ferrari muffler
    Level 2 sounds louder than the Ferrari muffler
    Level 3 is the loudest as if the bypass circuit is always on

All levels 1/2/3 sound the same when the bypass secondary circuit is open.

DaisyCutter likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Nope.

Level 1. lower tone when bypass closed. Lower tone when bypass open.
    Level 3. Lower tone when bypass closed (just like level 1). Higher tone when bypass open.
    Level 2. Higher tone when bypass closed (higher than 1 and 3). Higher tone when bypass open (like level 3).

Cap 2. No exceptions.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

At idle it does sound muscle car-ish. Very true. IF the Capristo did drone, it's an F1 drone and hasn't bothered me one bit.

The Kreissieg is probably the best exhaust for the 348. F355 is another story. Even in Japan, it is already surpassed by Ito Racing's muffler. That's the one people in Japan buy if they want to get serious.

Capristo 2 sound is hard to beat imho. Pick any road going Ferrari. If you can find a fly-by video that sounds better than this, you got me...

C'dwic and graeme355 like this.
  17. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    But nobody outside of Japan seems to actually own one. Kreissieg created a reputation from a couple Youtube videos. The second video you posted doesn't even sound that far from a Tubi. Besides, where do you see that it's cheaper than a Capristo? I see one for sale for the F355 on Vividracing but it's $10.000. Not exactly a deal.

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  19. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    That’s a Capristo level one. Sounds amazing.

20. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is not what I was led to believe but that's OK. I am not a fan of the Capristo experience due to its droning at idle.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I prefer the twin valve only because its supposedly better for the engine if you read their website.
    Its definately best sound but pretty close

308 GTB likes this.
  23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #98 Ferrarium, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019

I read that a lot on different forums and many sounds clips it pretty clear if you know what your listening for.

The Fabspeed for the 355 sounds very good. Check that also ata idle it seem very good too.
    Interestingly on the the 348 it sounds like a mid 70's V6 Camaro with a muffler hole, it has 1/2 the resonators of the 355.

24. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Information from Capristo:

Which level to choose?

Now – any “stages” (1, 2, 3) of the 355 Capristo exhaust relate to the volume level of the “LOWER CHANNEL” – the volume at low revs, because all three systems are the same volume at high revs. So the correct designation is X/3. Let us explain:

A 1/3 = fairly quiet at low revs but with a lovely tone, and F1 scream at high revs

A 2/3 = sporting at low revs, deeper and fuller, with an F1 scream at high revs

A 3/3 = very loud at low rev and an F1 scream at high revs.

We generally recommend either the 1/3 or the 2/3 – they are the best systems to give you the best of both worlds and take advantage of the technical layout to ensure the system isn’t too noisy at low revs. Of course a 3/3 is noisy all the time, negating the point of the dual chamber layout which is why we don’t recommend it.

As a side note, when I fitted the bypass remote to my (2.7) Capristo 2/3, I effectively turn it into a 3/3 when the valve is always in open mode. It's great some of the time to have it wide open out driving in the countryside or through tunnels, but taking neighbours and not wishing to draw too much attention to oneself into consideration, it becomess ideal to switch it back to the default mode where it closes according to the standard ECU control. I appreciate this setup isn't applicable to the later 5.2 cars with their additional sensors though.

kenneyd likes this.
  25. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I just bought a Capristo, and I was told they now only make one version of the thing as a routine, and you have to order the others. I believe it is 3. I had a 1 on a previous car.
    The level one is too quiet when the valve is closed; it sounds fantastic when it opens.
    This one is perfect. It is not too loud and doesn't drone.
    Now, when I first got the car, the bypass valve was not opening. At install, they wired the valve open temporarily. With the valve open, the thing droned badly. We then fixed the bypass valve and the drone went away.
    For sure, I can tolerate more noise than someone like my wife, who doesn't want to hear any engine sound, ever (save your comments, she has other redeeming qualities, so on balance I will keep her despite this almost unforgivable flaw). But I did drive it 1600 miles home from Houston with no working radio, and that has to count for something.