360 - Is it recommended to fit 19 inch 430 wheels to a 360 spider | FerrariChat

360 Is it recommended to fit 19 inch 430 wheels to a 360 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Arthur Leonard, Mar 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arthur Leonard

Feb 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    fogbank1
    Is it recommended to refit the 360 spider wearing 18inch stock wheels with the 430 19 inch wheels ( IMHO
    its a great look )

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
  3. Arthur Leonard

Feb 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    fogbank1
  4. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Does the 430 have a softer suspension to make up for having less give with less sidewall?

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It's not just about 18s Vs 19s, etc it's the actual weight of the wheel and tire combined that makes the biggest difference and it's unsprung weight (look it up if your unfamiliar with the terminology).

If you are going up in size find out the current weight of your wheel and tire today and try to get lightweight forged wheels which aren't heavier, ideally lighter (lighter are more expensive but make a considerable difference to performance).

Obviously your tire sidewall will have to go down too so ensure the replacement tires have good ride quality. Some are much better than others, one great all around such tire is Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

tifosi101 likes this.
  6. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I had ABS/TC issues with 430 wheels on my car as the front rear tyre size ratio is diffferent. More of an issue on early cars and mines’s a late 2000. I think the first spiders are 2001?

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I second trev post— I’ve hurt a cars performance w bigger and heavier non oem wheels tires. The handling and balance and accel were effected.

This is something to do your homework vs just go for looks. If in doubt stick w stock imho.

8. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have stock 19" 430 wheels on my 360 spider. No issues with ride or handling. Look great!
    Regarding weight. 360 came with 430 wheels when I purchased. I can say they are considerably heavier compared to my former F355 magnesium wheels!

gt1995 likes this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I am running the Michelin Pilot Supersport tires. (front: 235-35 and rear: 325-30). I find wheel Offset is what is critical more than anything when choosing an aftermarket wheel. And as Trev pointed out, I always go with a forged wheel on all my cars to reduce unsprung weight.

I had the original wheels on my 360 when I bought it but I changed them out before I even took the car out of the garage. So as comparing the new 19" wheels to the original 18" ones for handling and ride quality, I couldn't say. But I can say, I've had no issues other than lowering the car would be a concern. My car was lowered when I bought it. Despite "rolling" the fender lips on both the front and rear.I do get some "rub" up front on turns into steep grades like driveway entry or other parking lot egress/ingress. A large dip in the road will rub the rear tires ever so slight. Yet the car handles well. Now this is with these aftermarket wheels. I suspect the OEM 430 wheels would not have any issues as the offsets are less aggressive.

I almost always drive my 360 in "Sport" mode so I could see where the ride may be a little rough for some folks tastes with the reduced sidewall of 19" wheels and tires. However, never any complaints from the lady in the passenger's seat. Life is good when you have the right car and the right lady ;)

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    ^This...is the answer to “why is my car so slow,” after going to 19” wheels and tires. I looked at a lot of 19” combinations and all but the most expensive are heavier than stock. The most expensive are about the same. So the easy decision for me was to stay with OEM 18” wheels. Tires in the right sizes for 18” are an issue for another thread.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I also have stock 430 wheels on my 2003 360 Spider. No issues, although I did need to roll the front fenders (which I suspect I would have needed to do with stock 360 wheels, too -- also a topic for another thread).